Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why does gw1 look better to me then gw2 does;/

I have played gw1 for a very long time, with my boyfriend. We had so much fun in that game. We made our own team setup for running to hard instances and various other dangerous places, and leveled all sorts of characters just to try them out with different builds and what-not. We enjoyed the pve aspect of it, and even tho there wasn't much end-game content, the campaigns and the story lines in them made it all so trivial. We weren't lacking anything to begin with. So i logged on today after a long while, went a bit to the Norn lands and such...and ah it just gave me such a rush of nostalgia.

-the landscapes are so beautiful, it's hard to imagine that the game is so old compared to how pretty it actually is.
    -The game engine just floooows like butter. Kamadan or Eotn, with 60+ people and my fps not dropping one bit despite being on an average pc. Quite a piece of work that engine.
    -All my heroes there in all their hard worked gear and items, bags filled with Bone dragon stuff and other shiny goodies.
    -The only thing I knew for a fact to be out of date was the characters, their animations and looks, which are much much better in gw2.

Why do I get this horrible feeling like gw2 could disappoint. Is there any chance that the engine of that game would run as nice and sweet as gw1 does? That we won't always have to be bound in doing everything with others? Not that that's a bad thing but some people like to be on their own very once in a while. Pih, could be just a rush of unsorted memories

10+ Year Old Account
    The personal story in GW2 is essentially the missions from GW1, so if you want to play solo you can always do that.

The Dynamic Events don't require you to talk to anyone. You can just show up and do stuff, just imagine the other players are NPCs if you really want to play alone.

GW2 uses a modified GW1 engine and the program is very neat and tidy just like GW1. Only 3 files.

I had a blast playing GW2 despite optimization issues in the BWE. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

The environments in GW2 are fairly spectacular in a way that screenshots can never quite capture. Scale, detail and liveliness of the game world is in stark contrast to the isolated and static feeling of GW1 fishbowl zones.

GW2 ran fantastic for me during the BWE.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The environments in GW2 are fairly spectacular in a way that screenshots can never quite capture. Scale, detail and liveliness of the game world is in stark contrast to the isolated and static feeling of GW1 fishbowl zones.

GW2 ran fantastic for me during the BWE.
    I wish I could say that's how other people expirienced it but performance feedback of this beta is generally opposite of how you had it, with certain exception ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
    I wish I could say that's how other people expirienced it but performance feedback of this beta is generally opposite of how you had it, with certain exception ofc.
    Which is to be expected, when they specifically say that the game is using more of your CPU than intended currently, and not enough of your graphics card.
    Game isn't optimized yet.
    Will it run as GW1? No. There have been major graphical updates and GW1 came out 7 years ago. Will it run better than the last BWE? From everything they have said, yes.

-the landscapes are so beautiful, it's hard to imagine that the game is so old compared to how pretty it actually is.
    -The game engine just floooows like butter. Kamadan or Eotn, with 60+ people and my fps not dropping one bit despite being on an average pc. Quite a piece of work that engine.
    -All my heroes there in all their hard worked gear and items, bags filled with Bone dragon stuff and other shiny goodies.
    -The only thing I knew for a fact to be out of date was the characters, their animations and looks, which are much much better in gw2.

Why do I get this horrible feeling like gw2 could disappoint. Is there any chance that the engine of that game would run as nice and sweet as gw1 does? That we won't always have to be bound in doing everything with others? Not that that's a bad thing but some people like to be on their own very once in a while. Pih, could be just a rush of unsorted memories
    Most your concerns are very valid and you could very well be disapointed because of them, I just wanted to point out that the graphics and engine where not finalized not optimized for the beta, heck the graphics where set to run on the CPU rather then GPU for the beta, so even if you had issues when it came down to large fights I wouldn't be all that worried it was a beta unoptimized build.

Not defending or attacking the game, just pointing out one of your concerns can not really be judged yet since beta is beta and its not a build which you can judge yet since optimization is one of the last stages.

1. Unoptimized build
    2. The vocality of those with troubles always, regardless of game, drowns out those that had a fine experience.
    3. Most technical issues are on the user end

Game ran great and looked great for me. I enjoyed GW1 as well but from my beta experience, there is no comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    People also forget there is debugging software in beta that can reduce performance by 20% depending.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    1. Unoptimized build
    2. The vocality of those with troubles always, regardless of game, drowns out those that had a fine experience.
    3. Most technical issues are on the user end
    I will agree to the first.
    I will agree to the second, that being mostly a positive thing since developers need that sort of feedback.
    I won't agree to the 3rd since people posting the most are usually those with high end rigs frustrated over unexplainable performance, while when the low-end user plays he's happy as long as the game is running, well most of the time.

To me the prime concern is how well the engine will pan out. Wether it will be something close to another Swtor fiasco, or will lean to what they so vigorously defended as "runs great on mid-range pc's". That fact alone seems to either attract or push away a big fraction of the population.
    Last edited by Lady Jane; 2012-05-06 at 04:10 AM.

Deleted
    Well if i'm not correct arena net said that the beta worked off your cpu and was not optimized for the gpu, my gpu was on like 20-50% usage.

still ran it on 30-40 fps and the video settings didn't make any difference which level it was on for performance and this was with there ultra stuff.

unexplainable performance
    Anet themselves explained it, most of the people complaining didn't seem to realize that Anet themselves acknowledged the problem and have every intention of fixing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my very personal and humble opinion, after playing GW2 for myself, GW1 looks like trash in comparison (old game is old). The characters are very stiff and the environments feel very fake.
    Last edited by Arkenaw; 2012-05-06 at 04:15 AM.

To me the prime concern is how well the engine will pan out. Wether it will be something close to another Swtor fiasco, or will lean to what they so vigorously defended as "runs great on mid-range pc's". That fact alone seems to either attract or push away a big fraction of the population.
    Oh I can can promise you the 3rd is very common. When I worked support for Sony and Frogster US, you wouldn't believe performance issues that were user derived- from poor ISP, hardware, old drivers, game settings, hard drive performance was a biggie often overlooked, firewalls, anti-virus, 3rd party software, etc.

There are a LOT of technical issues which are user based.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    In my very personal and humble opinion, after playing GW2 for myself, GW1 looks like trash in comparison (old game is old). The characters are very stiff and the environments feel very fake.
    This. It almost even made WoW feel old and bland. But sadly I don't have much to do until release other than their slow-coming Beta Weekend Events...

You can do eet ArenaNet! D:

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhrim View Post
    Well if i'm not correct arena net said that the beta worked off your cpu and was not optimized for the gpu, my gpu was on like 20-50% usage.

still ran it on 30-40 fps and the video settings didn't make any difference which level it was on for performance and this was with there ultra stuff.
    Mine ran like that when there was only 10 or fewer people around, more than that and the spell effects just tanked my FPS. During the end event fighting the rabit my character only had 2 frames of animation, weapon forward and weapon reared back for a swing. I cant wait till they can shift more of the game onto the GPU as that has been updated on my rig more recently than the rest of the hardware. The performance monitors I had running were pegging out my CPU almost constantly while my GPU was showing useage ratings on par with watching a youtube video.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people giving negative performance people only played for a short time in the first 6 hours or so, said "fuck it" and didn't touch it again. Saturday and Sunday were smooth as butter.

Either that, or their computers are suck, and they feel entitled to enjoying the game at full performance no matter how shitty their PC specs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    It almost even made WoW feel old and bland.
    I want to emphasize: there was no almost for me!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    A lot of people giving negative performance people only played for a short time in the first 6 hours or so, said "fuck it" and didn't touch it again. Saturday and Sunday were smooth as butter.

Either that, or their computers are suck, and they feel entitled to enjoying the game at full performance no matter how shitty their PC specs are.
    Not true in my case. My performance was consistently poor during the entire beta and my computer is only a few years old and can run skyrim on high and WoW at 60fps on ultra. I'm led to believe that optimization also screwed my latency?

The Beta just wasn't fully optimized, something that WILL be fixed by release.

Interesting anomaly... changing the graphics settings for me in the last BWE didn't impact my performance. No matter what settings I had it on it stayed the game. It was like my cpu was bottle-necking itself. The only thing that made my frame rate worse was reflections. Of course I believe this was a known issue along with the game only using a small part of the cpu.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-05-06 at 09:16 AM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Not true in my case. My performance was consistently poor during the entire beta and my computer is only a few years old and can run skyrim on high and WoW at 60fps on ultra. I'm led to believe that optimization also screwed my latency?

The Beta just wasn't fully optimized, something that WILL be fixed by release.

Interesting anomaly... changing the graphics settings for me in the last BWE didn't impact my performance. No matter what settings I had it on it stayed the game. It was like my cpu was bottle-necking itself. The only thing that made my frame rate worse was reflections.
    It doesn't really matter how old or new the PC is - what matters are the specs of your actual CPU. I know that even my CPU seemed to have both cores nearly maxed out, while alt-tabbed, but when in the game I was able to run it extremely well.

The irony being that my CPU, at the time I bought it, was basically a "budget" CPU. It's really not very high-end, but I've been able to run most games at max settings. I couldn't run Skyrim at max IIRC, but it was still beautiful enough.

As you suggested, optimization will be a huge part of it. Not all CPUs run alike. It's really surprising what you learn about computer hardware with just some basic college computer science courses.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Ill say its nostalgia. After playing Lineage 1 for almost 5 years, it was really hard for me to let go and, once in a while, i still go back and try to play it a little bit. But after 1 hour in the game, i end up thinking "how could i ever like this?!?" lol. Given that game is even older than Lin1.

When we invest so much time in a game (in anything really), it gets really hard to let go and all the good memories pass by our eyes.

I say... give it a try. If you like GW2, keep playing it (or any other game out there). If you dont, you can always go back to playing what you like.