Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Guild Wars 2, The Guild Drama

Recently I've gotten thinking about one key concept no one has talked about much.
    The feature of being able to join multiple guilds within guild wars 2.

I've noticed a slight little trend with guilds that are currently being formed in guild wars 2 and they becoming aware
    that people want to join in multiple guilds but are creating clauses within their guild applications and rules, which are stating
    you can't be in multiple guilds, you have to represent this guild or your out. Which kills off the sense of community
    the game is trying to create or the diversity however of being apart of 3 different communities rather then sticking to one guild all together like wow.

Is this in your opinion a concern of a stigma that getting carried out from other mmos?
    such as wow were you must stay within your guild and don't join others cause you must represent your colours
    or will there no be many people using this feature and just creating small guilds of their own for pvp teams or banking toons.

Personally with my views, it's a concern that getting carried over from other mmo's and guild leaders and officers are creating rules that destroying the sense of diversity the makers are trying to create within guild wars. I feel if guild leaders are already planning this types of rules and clauses when the game is yet to be release, how this will impact the open community A.Net are trying to make by restricting people to stay encloses rather then allow the world you choose to play in to be open and sharing as they are trying to make it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will never join a guild that requires "loyalty" such as being in the single guild or using a special "dye theme." I don't need to associate with people who think they need to be in charge over the internet.

If people are creating clauses like that to join a guild in GW2; then I don't want to join their guild, simple as that. The multiple guild thing is a wonderful thing for those of us who may want to play different aspects of the game. I join so and so guild for when I want to PvP, I join this other guild for those times I want to go run some PvE stuff, and perhaps this guild over here is my RL friends guild.

To me it just sounds like people are hoping to become a super recognized guild so they can say, "Well, I'm in this guild" or "I'm a leader of this guild." If you get that much personal satisfaction out of being in an elitist attitude of a guild, fine by me, no sweat off my brow. But, personally, I prefer the multiple guilds. In WoW for example, I love my guildies, but only 1 or 2 of them actually enjoy PvP of any kind, so I don't often do a lot of PvP in the game. GW2 only helps me there as if I feel like PvPing I can do so with this guild. The only real difference is the guild tag that's under my name.

I see no reason for why you can't be in multiple guilds at once, what is there to do together as a guild that would demand your attention like raids?

I think the issue comes from organized guild activities. If Guild X says "Hey, we want to siege castle Y on Friday night," they probably want to know you're going to help them siege castle Y on Friday night, instead of castle A with Guild B - EVEN IF those two castle complete your realm's objectives.

It's an organizational thing, really, from my pov as a former guild officer in WoW. Officers and guild leaders put a lot of time into organizing guilds, and they don't want people's attention divided amongst other groups too much. I mean, as long as PvP guild X isn't FORBIDDING you from doing end-game DEs or something in a PuG, I don't have a problem with exclusivity in guilds.

Matching dyes sets is ridiculous though.

It's really a philosophical question on the status of guilds in Guild Wars 2. The lore, past MMOs, heck, even the title, suggest guilds are the main organizational backdrop of the game around which your game time is spent. The OP seems to opine that guilds are just information channels to hear about other events which might be taking place.

If I was forming a guild, I'd ask that you display my tag (you can only display one of your guild's tags, no?), even if you join other guilds, and that if you sign up for a guild event in my guild, it takes first priority. I might even ask you to keep a certain attendance rate, just so you don't neglect to sign up for anything to not be tied down.

Guilds are meant to tie you down in a way. From a gaming stand point, I don't agree with players being able to be completely free agents and reaping the benefits of dozens of guilds' organizational efforts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think the issue comes from organized guild activities. If Guild X says "Hey, we want to siege castle Y on Friday night," they probably want to know you're going to help them siege castle Y on Friday night, instead of castle A with Guild B - EVEN IF those two castle complete your realm's objectives.

It's an organizational thing, really, from my pov as a former guild officer in WoW. Officers and guild leaders put a lot of time into organizing guilds, and they don't want people's attention divided amongst other groups too much. I mean, as long as PvP guild X isn't FORBIDDING you from doing end-game DEs or something in a PuG, I don't have a problem with exclusivity in guilds.

Matching dyes sets is ridiculous though.

It's really a philosophical question on the status of guilds in Guild Wars 2. The lore, past MMOs, heck, even the title, suggest guilds are the main organizational backdrop of the game around which your game time is spent. The OP seems to opine that guilds are just information channels to hear about other events which might be taking place.

If I was forming a guild, I'd ask that you display my tag (you can only display one of your guild's tags, no?), even if you join other guilds, and that if you sign up for a guild event in my guild, it takes first priority. I might even ask you to keep a certain attendance rate, just so you don't neglect to sign up for anything to not be tied down.

Guilds are meant to tie you down in a way. From a gaming stand point, I don't agree with players being able to be completely free agents and reaping the benefits of dozens of guilds' organizational efforts.
    Asking for anything other than an attendance rate is ridiculous and pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I see no reason for why you can't be in multiple guilds at once, what is there to do together as a guild that would demand your attention like raids?
    Can only think of the progress system. Points were given by having members represent the guild as they play. At least that was what we could make of it- not sure it works without representing a guild.

The things guild's buy also seemed really expensive/time consuming. Like leveling a guild in RA or EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    If I was forming a guild, I'd ask that you display my tag (you can only display one of your guild's tags, no?), even if you join other guilds
    So you would effectively prevent anyone from joining multiple guilds, since displaying a tag is inherent with which guild you're active in at a time, and would therefore be a guild that everyone thus far in the thread wouldn't join

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Is that how it works? I thought the system was you could be in multiple guilds at once, but only display one tag - like, for the MMO guild, it would say <M M O C> next to your name.

For the sake of organization and accomplishment, our guild will require its members to represent our tag at all times. If you do join another guild, it's got to be secondary to us.

Yeesh. One of the most awesome and novel things about GW2 is the ability to be in multiple guilds, I wouldn't personally want to be in a guild that undermines that fact.

If I was in a GW2 that scheduled guild events and such, then I wouldn't want them to demand more of me than my attendance and preparedness. I'm not their employee, and I wouldn't want to be treated like one.

10+ Year Old Account
    i just wish in the guild interface it didnt say that you were representing another guild

if they took out that feature then it'd be very difficult to even notice that you're repping another guild, esp if you hang out on another world

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 02:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dillingr View Post
    For the sake of organization and accomplishment, our guild will require its members to represent our tag at all times. If you do join another guild, it's got to be secondary to us.
    in other words you cant join another guild
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    i just wish in the guild interface it didnt say that you were representing another guild

if they took out that feature then it'd be very difficult to even notice that you're repping another guild, esp if you hang out on another world
    I want an option to be able to see chat from each guild and to talk to specific guilds similar to whisper, but that will probably never happen. I'm fine with the rest of the system though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont have a problem with it at all...if they choose to have that clause then sure thats their problem...and from what i can gather only the hardcore guilds with competitive pvp and pve in mind will do such a clause...be that the case the the clause being you can only join that one guild will be the last of my worries...because the guild chat and community of those top end guilds always sucks...pvp guilds that is...everyone always bickers amongst each other in hardcore pvp guilds...its pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't join em simple.

Deleted
    I reckon it's only a matter of time before guild leaders everywhere figure out that people don't stay where rules say they have to stay, people stay where they like it. And generally, people like not being told what they can or cannot do. :P

Guild A: You must represent us at all times!
    Guild B: Hop in when you feel like having a blast.

Guild B will have a more active playerbase than guild A.

i kinda understand why they do it, but to me it comes down to what other guild they join.
    if you are in a world pvp guild, and they join another world pvp guild that does the same stuff i would have my questions.
    joining a pve guild (although i dont think we wil see mutch of those) a tournament pvp guild or a small friends guild is perfectly fine.

matching dyes seems fun to me though, i still wanna see a WoW guild with transmog restrictions on their raids:P
    "I am the King of Rome, and above grammar."

They can do whatever they want, and we can avoid them like the plague ;p

Deleted
    I have no intention of joining a guild that requires an attendance rate, or demands that you only stay with that guild, so it does not worry me (: However, i do expect to have a guild that i'm socializing more with than the others, a kind of "main" guild, i guess.

That's just stupid. Since it's not your characters that join a guild, it's your account. On my main character I might want to be in our now pretty big Swedish guild but on my secondary character I want to have a smaller guild with my RL friends.

There's no way in hell I'd join a guild without respect for other players or other players interests. Loyality? Pff, you don't show loyality by just joining their guild, that's just showing them you're a mule. You show it by playing with them and helping people in the guild, dominating WvW with them.