Hidden Abilities

So during the BWE when I was playing my Ranger I started to notice that I was throwing my greatsword once in awhile when using Counterattack. I was wondering why that was happening, so after a little testing I found out that holding down the Counterattack skill was making me throw my greatsword instead of initiating Counterattack. I looked up Ranger greatsword skills on GW2DB and found Crippling Throw. I thought that was really neat, but wasn't sure why it was "hidden".

Has anybody else found any hidden abilities?

It's more like the skills have secondary functions. For example, a Warrior can throw a sword and rip it out [if in melee range] if it lands. This is called, well, Rip. But the main skill is Sword Throw or something like that.

The Ranger and Thief have a few such abilities as well. Can't recall if Guardian did...

It's was usually a way rewarding closing the gap effectively, iirc.

It's not so much hidden as it is a chain skill, I'm pretty sure in this case it's "Couter attack and kick them back, and then click the ability again to throw your sword and cripple them" it's kind of a follow up attack. There's quiet a few of these in the game spread throughout the professions, and yes they are neat : )
    If interested, some others are:
    http://www.gw2db.com/skills/16022-zealots-flame and http://www.gw2db.com/skills/12310-zealots-fire for Guardian
    http://www.gw2db.com/skills/14346-leap and http://www.gw2db.com/skills/12305-swap for Mesmer
    (there's several of these per profession)

The problem is that these abilities don't show up in the skill panel on your character screen, which is a bit irritating. Neither do the chain skills. I hope they will add them before release, right now its a bit difficult to assess the weapons. It took me some time to realize that my 1H mace auto-attack on Guardian actually had a nice AOE heal component

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's more like the skills have secondary functions. For example, a Warrior can throw a sword and rip it out [if in melee range] if it lands. This is called, well, Rip. But the main skill is Sword Throw or something like that.

The Ranger and Thief have a few such abilities as well. Can't recall if Guardian did...

It's called Impale I believe. #4 ability for one-hand sword.

Problem is some of them have a pathetic time frame to use the follow-up in.

Playing a mesmer over the last beta weekend, the time frame from my phantasmal leap to the teleport (summons a leaping clone, then switches you and the clone out) had maybe two, three seconds before it became inactive. The sceptre also chained up, turning into three different spells, the last of which summons a phantasm.

As said these are chain skills not "hidden" skills. The fact remains that currently the chains are not listed on your character screen which would clear up a lot of confusion. Right now some of them chain so fast you can hardly even read the tool tip; without outside skill tools I would probably not know specifically what the 2nd or 3rd skills did in a chain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    The problem is that these abilities don't show up in the skill panel on your character screen, which is a bit irritating. Neither do the chain skills. I hope they will add them before release, right now its a bit difficult to assess the weapons. It took me some time to realize that my 1H mace auto-attack on Guardian actually had a nice AOE heal component
    oh they don't? Huh, i didn't know that, i personally never checked that list for like ANYTHING so i didn't really notice if they were there or not xD

Someone should ask Anet to put them on there, it'd be really helpful for people who are not like most of us on this forum who worship the wiki lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every single ability that has to do with "blocking attacks" such as Riposte will activate a second ability while the block is being channeled, which will instead be an offensive attack, or something that can be used offensively. The Thief's Harpoon has a block skill, and while you're blocking you can push 3 again to get initiative, for example.

I will agree that it's absolutely annoying for these skills to not show up on your hero panel at all, however. My stealth skills don't even show up. It makes it hard for a new player to even realize the skills are there without alt-tabbing to first check the wiki about their new profession.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Every single ability that has to do with "blocking attacks" such as Riposte will activate a second ability while the block is being channeled, which will instead be an offensive attack, or something that can be used offensively. The Thief's Harpoon has a block skill, and while you're blocking you can push 3 again to get initiative, for example.

I will agree that it's absolutely annoying for these skills to not show up on your hero panel at all, however. My stealth skills don't even show up. It makes it hard for a new player to even realize the skills are there without alt-tabbing to first check the wiki about their new profession.
    That's what i'm saying, they should put those on that skill page so that the new players (aka the ones who aren't worshiping GW2 as a deity like the rest of us here) will know that the counter attack skills can be activated, on a side note, i'm very happy they made it so all the blocking skills can be activated for an offensive attack because i thought it was kinda lack luster how they originally were ONLY defensive, so if you weren't attacked at all you wasted a cooldown...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, it did seem that the Warrior's Shield ability that blocks for a few seconds has no offensive secondary ability. That was the only exception I found.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    To be fair, it did seem that the Warrior's Shield ability that blocks for a few seconds has no offensive secondary ability. That was the only exception I found.
    True, but i think the point of that skill is to be a defensive CD that you use to laugh at the face of danger absorbing everything you take in during that time, the other ones are more offensive in nature it's like IF you get hit THIS happens, where that shield one is you block EVERYTHING for X seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Hold up can you explain the warrior ability better. Im playing a warrior are yuo talking about the greatsword ability where you boomarang throw it. if so what does this RIP ability do at close range and what does RIP stand for. Thank you....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    Hold up can you explain the warrior ability better. Im playing a warrior are yuo talking about the greatsword ability where you boomarang throw it. if so what does this RIP ability do at close range and what does RIP stand for. Thank you....
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Impale_%28warrior%29

I believe he's referring to that, but the wiki does not currently list a secondary skill for it. It's worth noting that Rip is a verb, not an acronym.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    It is as Drake linked, 1h sword's Impale can be chained into Rip @ close range. Using Rip adds more bleed stacks. It's key to 2x Swords DPS Warrior rotation.

Deleted
    Is there anywhere one can see all these extra abilities?

Deleted
    They do need to make it clearer. I remember on my Mesmer I thought Feigned Surge was bugged (as I wasn't teleporting back to my original place after surging forward like it says in the description), but I was meant to press the button a second time during the surge.