Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Legacy - why is it so important to people?

As title says, i cant figure out why is it so game-breaking...
    I left my 3 lvl 50 toons and legacy level 20 on dead server and rerolled to new one and i dont miss any legacy perk.
    So, why are ppl so attached to their legacy?

You got the buffs from all the 50s on that new toon? Are you able to buy the perks from the legacy vendor aswell?

Personally i enjoy the RP factor of it, and i wasn't a guy much into RP before.

It's a feeling of lost progression - I don't think it's just the legacy, but the characters themselves too, and the feeling that they may need a decent legacy level down the line for something that might be awesome.

Personally I only have 2 50s, but I have a bunch in the 30-45 range, my two 50s are fully Rakata and over Rank 60, I've gotten a lot of titles on them both, and I really just am not going to do everything again from scratch.

I have white crystals, purple crystals, black-green crystals - If I were to reroll, I'd loose the possibility of getting any of that. So there's that too.

I'm not going to abandon my progression because Bioware messed up and put too many servers up. It isn't on me to fix that. I mean, if you feel like it's something you want to do to ensure that you have a happy time playing, then all power to you, but I just don't feel that way - if I were less progressed, and didn't have some of these things, then maybe I would reroll, but then I still would have to convince a bunch of my friends who are in a similar situation to also reroll.

So for now I'm sucking it up on a sucky server (One that launched on day one of Early Access and had a tonne of guilds assigned to it), and hoping that transfers get here soon, because frankly, I'd rather wait it out than start over, and if the wait is too long, I'll likely just move onto something else - I like the game, but starting over for me is just something I can't do, I would start and just end up quitting after a while, and either going back to my old characters, or just outright quit. I'm already to attached to these characters now.

Redoing the same thing and starting a long grind towards something you have done is not something most want to do. The class buffs, companion buffs and amounts of credits spent on items would be towards the top of the list for me. When I rerolled I left a lvl 14 legacy behind I think and even without the perks being live yet that kinda sucked. I still haven't gotten to that lvl yet so now that the perks are live it can be a bit frustrating knowing if I lucked out better when picking my first server I would be so much further along.

I don't think its just legacy ppl are getting attached to though. Its the things you did and don't care to redo again and again, the 10 stats datacron, the +4 aim on Belsavis now that they have cut off the path you could take to skip making that dumb bridge. Having to ride the Tatooine blimp and hoping it doesn't glych and despawn about 2 minutes away from the datacrons. Those things alone will make some ppl stick it out just long enough that they end up quitting where they may have rerolled and enjoyed the game again or for the first time.

A bit off topic but I feel bad for the ppl like Rae above me that was a early access player or ppl from beta guilds that got tossed onto what was at the start a poor server or quickly became one. Then you have other guilds or players that did the same thing and hit the server jackpot and ended up on the ones that are still doing well. Good luck to you & the others in that spot, hopefully xfrs or mergers will happen soon.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is like playing through a game, getting all of the extra items, just to have your system reset and wipe your saved game at the 90% complete mark. It is undoing everything you worked for. On top of that, the way it is designed is to give your characters an identity associated with how you choose to play them.

All your progress and character identities have basically been erased. If they had account wide legacies or legacy additive merges, this would not have been an issue. For such a unique system though, which is a very awesome highlight of the game, I would expect them to not think through every scenario.

It is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Deleted
    I get very attached to my characters, in any game.
    If I rerolled a new server everything I have worked for would have been in vain.

Currently sitting on 4 lvl 50's, legacy level 39 on a dead server.
    I rather wait for migration to open, than leveling again. All my chars are imperial, one from each base class, and it's what I want to play. I don't want to play republic as main, only to see the story lines. Doing the same missions, same story line again to level 50. Not something I want to do.

Migrations/server balance fix should come "early summer" according to Bioware. I rather wait. My characters are precious, my babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    As title says, i cant figure out why is it so game-breaking...
    I left my 3 lvl 50 toons and legacy level 20 on dead server and rerolled to new one and i dont miss any legacy perk.
    So, why are ppl so attached to their legacy?
    The upcoming perks that will be made available in future patches will most definitely be worth it. Mainly the ones with the +EXP gain on them for leveling alts. Plus, the current perks from completing all of your companion quests which carry over to your other characters as well...not to mention the extra buffs you get from completing said quests as well.

If you don't have any perks, how can you say you miss them? I guarantee your leveling would be much quicker if you had stuck with your legacy and received all the companion buffs. You fly through stuff and your companion is so OP it's not even funny.

My main motivation for caring about my legacy is the presence bonus of +100 for unlocking humans and the +50 presence for each batch of five companions I unlock for completing all the conversations. The Heroic Moment abilities are also a draw that have gotten me out of more than a few binds.

I suppose if leveling alts isn't important to you, then the legacy systems is no big deal. In my opinion if you just want to stick with your main, the worthwhile legacy perk to get would be the six minutes off of quick travel for 600k credits. I would find that one very handy when grinding dailies.

There is one for six hours off of the emergency fleet pass, but why not just get an authenticator or the app? Remember for 600k, you can buy 600 fleet passes, so that one isn't worth it unless you are some type of completionist.

Quote Originally Posted by rdj View Post
    The upcoming perks that will be made available in future patches will most definitely be worth it. Mainly the ones with the +EXP gain on them for leveling alts. Plus, the current perks from completing all of your companion quests which carry over to your other characters as well...not to mention the extra buffs you get from completing said quests as well.

If you don't have any perks, how can you say you miss them? I guarantee your leveling would be much quicker if you had stuck with your legacy and received all the companion buffs. You fly through stuff and your companion is so OP it's not even funny.
    How can you know if the XP perks are going to be "definitely worth it" when we don't even have any numbers yet? Also I got lvl 50 human so I get the best presence bonus to my companions and the difference in their damage was less than 10%(yes I actually wrote down the numbers before and after). Considering your companions do maybe 50% of your dmg at most adding 10% to that wouldn't even be noticeable if I didn't know I had it.

I'm a huge altaholic is TOR so I should be the exact target segment for the legacy system, but it doesn't really add any actual gameplay. What you get is passive buffs which is nice I guess, but as I said it doesn't really add any kind of new activity. I also get these buffs without doing anything I wouldn't do anyway so the same effect would have been achieved just by BioWare removing 5-10% of the mob healths across the board. As it is I really don't see much value here.

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    My main motivation for caring about my legacy is the presence bonus of +100 for unlocking humans and the +50 presence for each batch of five companions I unlock for completing all the conversations. The Heroic Moment abilities are also a draw that have gotten me out of more than a few binds.
    You can only get +10 presence once per companion type. So the max amount of bonus presence is 100 from lvl 50 human and 5x10 from the companions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    How can you know if the XP perks are going to be "definitely worth it" when we don't even have any numbers yet? Also I got lvl 50 human so I get the best presence bonus to my companions and the difference in their damage was less than 10%(yes I actually wrote down the numbers before and after). Considering your companions do maybe 50% of your dmg at most adding 10% to that wouldn't even be noticeable if I didn't know I had it.

I'm a huge altaholic is TOR so I should be the exact target segment for the legacy system, but it doesn't really add any actual gameplay. What you get is passive buffs which is nice I guess, but as I said it doesn't really add any kind of new activity. I also get these buffs without doing anything I wouldn't do anyway so the same effect would have been achieved just by BioWare removing 5-10% of the mob healths across the board. As it is I really don't see much value here.

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 07:55 PM ----------

You can only get +10 presence once per companion type. So the max amount of bonus presence is 100 from lvl 50 human and 5x10 from the companions.
    Nope it's per unique companion. If you have a toon of every class with all companions unlocked and the human bonus, that is a +500 presence bonus. However if you have a Sorc and an Assassin you only get the bonus once because the companions are not unique.

I think I just figured it out. Well, not completely, but for me anyway. You see, I'm the kind of guy that after I beat a game, I shelve it for a little while, and then, when I get nostalgic, I pull it off the shelf... and play the game again from scratch. I love replaying games that I enjoyed. Sometimes, when I play it again, I enjoy it more than I did the first time. That certainly happened with FFVIII. Hated that game the first time, enjoyed it the second. So for me, "starting over" on a new server is basically just playing the game again. Most people though, I don't think they like replaying games. Part of why there's so many used games for sale at GameStop, they play them once, then sell them.

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 10:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    The "stat" bonus is unique to companion type, i.e. crit bonus, or healing received bonus, but the presence stacks for each unique companion. You max presence bonus is 500. 100 for human, 400 from companions.

I think the main thing is that your level 50 characters aren't characters, they are bullshit. I leveled my hunter to max level and played it for over a year before I rerolled another class to max level, now it's over 7 years and it matters somehow... can always play alts, but I'm not going to just level a new 85 hunter to play on another server when I have all my titles, honorable kills and all that other difficult to replace stuff on one character already.

So here is my question:

What will you do when you transfer and find your legacy name is already in use on another server?

Quote Originally Posted by Ijanaak View Post
    I think the main thing is that your level 50 characters aren't characters, they are bullshit. I leveled my hunter to max level and played it for over a year before I rerolled another class to max level, now it's over 7 years and it matters somehow... can always play alts, but I'm not going to just level a new 85 hunter to play on another server when I have all my titles, honorable kills and all that other difficult to replace stuff on one character already.
    Well, someone has to say it. Wrong game.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    The "stat" bonus is unique to companion type, i.e. crit bonus, or healing received bonus, but the presence stacks for each unique companion. You max presence bonus is 500. 100 for human, 400 from companions.
    Ah, well thats nice at least. 500 extra presence, or even like 300, would actually be a very significant boost to your companion.

for me Legacy was just a waste of Devs time and resources....

I would trade all Legacy "perks" for a cross server LFD and cross server Warzones...
    i like to play with alts but i would like to have a chance of actually do something on my main that dont take 1hour of spamming the fleet for a Flashpoint or 30minutes wait for a Warzone to pop..
    even on the only Heavy/Full EU server its hard to find a group, if you leave work after 21h and get home by 22h...
    Cross server everything would make the game great,perks for my alts its just "meh"..

If legacy was ready on the game release date i bet that i would find it great system, but 4 months after release and 3 lvl 50´s before legacy was released, i really think that it was just a waste of resources...
    So to me Legacy is really not important (my opinions)

Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    Well, someone has to say it. Wrong game.
    Unless they mean a lvl 50 toon isn't as valuable as a lvl capped toon in a older game. Honestly that was part of what helped me reroll, I knew it only took a few weeks of slowly playing to get where I was so if I did happen to keep playing that wouldn't matter in the long run. I also knew just based on how my server was I wouldn't keep playing so it was start over or quit.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Unless they mean a lvl 50 toon isn't as valuable as a lvl capped toon in a older game. Honestly that was part of what helped me reroll, I knew it only took a few weeks of slowly playing to get where I was so if I did happen to keep playing that wouldn't matter in the long run. I also knew just based on how my server was I wouldn't keep playing so it was start over or quit.
    But see, even in some other game I find it even easier to reroll, because there are just so many things to speed up leveling, you can hit max level in a week with semi-decent play time.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowstep View Post

I would trade all Legacy "perks" for a cross server LFD and cross server Warzones...
    i like to play with alts but i would like to have a chance of actually do something on my main that dont take 1hour of spamming the fleet for a Flashpoint or 30minutes wait for a Warzone to pop..
    even on the only Heavy/Full EU server its hard to find a group, if you leave work after 21h and get home by 22h...
    Cross server everything would make the game great,perks for my alts its just "meh"..

If legacy was ready on the game release date i bet that i would find it great system, but 4 months after release and 3 lvl 50´s before legacy was released, i really think that it was just a waste of resources...
    I would rather quit than have cross server finders . legacy is a great system and a great money sink and it helps add a whole separate rpg system that i really enjoy
    IM GONNA PUNCH THAT DRAGON IN THE FACE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowstep View Post

for you, as you said, and other ppl who think alike.
    remember, tho, that legacy was a main feature in the game(and they even said that they wouldn't put a LFD), they didn't just decide to put and put aside some other feature, they wanted that form start, and that is a design choice, ppl who are mad with a "design choice" should not play the game or just dont whine or rant about it (i'm not saying that you're whining), even more if the feature is "optional".

IE, i hate wow pet battles, for me it's a waste of effort, like you said about legacy, but i wont play wow anymore 'cuz some of their "design choices" (lately almost all) are just dumb to me. so i don't play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    A year from now someone on these forums is gonna say that the (wod) launch went smoothly..... I am gonna remind that asshole of this launch, this shit is not going smoothly at all.