Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is Diablo all about?

I know this may seem like a strange question, but for all the years I have been playing WoW and hearing about the Diablo series I never learned about it.

Could someone give me a brief synopsis of it? I looked at the Wiki but that didn't do it for me. I think it is a single player game, but then again it seems like you can interact with other players...

Thanks

Deleted
    It's about killing demons It's an action rpg, if you don't know anything about what that is I'd suggest checking out a few youtube videos of footage which will explain it far better than text.

It's an online single player or up to 4 player co-op game. It's integrated onto battle.net so you can communicate with people across battle.net, as well as in your 4 player game with party chat/whisper, or in the "lobby" with several public chat channels (that you have to choose to join). It has a region-based gold auction house, as well as a real money auction house (buy or sell player items for blizzard balance bucks or paypal).

If you have any specific questions it might be easier... but definitely go check out some game footage.

Basically, Diablo is about killing mobs/bosses, farming gear, having fun with friends or by yourself mixed with some challenge and exploration.

Deleted
    Some important differences between WoW and Diablo :
    - as said Diablo is an Action RPG, not an MMO
    - you can do everything by yourself in Diablo
    - there are no healer/tank requirements in Diablo because everyone is basically dps....

D2 was about getting the perfect build and gearing up around it, or finding gear and making a build to match it and playing online with friends. D3 will also be about gear, but there is an AH and RMAH to go along with it. In short, other than the story/lore which you get in your first normal playthrough, it's about gear.

Deleted
    D2 was much more about gear than you make it sound like Lathais. D3 will be more about gear and skills because unlike D2 there are a lot more viable builds.

Quote Originally Posted by dahmer View Post
    Some important differences between WoW and Diablo :
    - as said Diablo is an Action RPG, not an MMO
    - you can do everything by yourself in Diablo
    - there are no healer/tank requirements in Diablo because everyone is basically dps....
    Good points here but I would like to comment on the bold part. We dont know for sure if you can finish inferno alone yet or not, but for normal and so its possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VXFadhel View Post
    Good points here but I would like to comment on the bold part. We dont know for sure if you can finish inferno alone yet or not, but for normal and so its possible.
    I saw a video today where Jay Wilson said it's possible and it really has to be possible.

D2 was much more about gear than you make it sound like Lathais. D3 will be more about gear and skills because unlike D2 there are a lot more viable builds.
    Until the latest update which offered a way to respec, D2 was just as much about spec as gear. If you started a level 1 char and made bad build choices early on all the gear in the world wouldn't get you through Hell. I mentioned gear 4 times in 3 sentences, not sure how much more about gear I could make it sound, especially when my last statement was, "it's about gear."
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    D2 was about getting the perfect build and gearing up around it, or finding gear and making a build to match it and playing online with friends. D3 will also be about gear, but there is an AH and RMAH to go along with it. In short, other than the story/lore which you get in your first normal playthrough, it's about gear.
    also, at VXFadhel, I remember reading or hearing that it will be possible solo. Would be silly for it not to be as well.
    Last edited by Lathais; 2012-05-07 at 02:27 PM.

I saw a video today where Jay Wilson said it's possible and it really has to be possible.
    Yeah but it happens that sometimes things go not the way the designers/developers intended it to be.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    7:00pm
    "Just five more minutes"
    BANG 3 AM
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    They said you will be able to clear inferno on your own, but it would likely be easier with a group because of the fact you then have more ways to deal with things.
    Though they also said that you should likely run with people you know and trust, because with more people you have more chances of someone screwing up :P

Trying to find the quote but didn't find it.. it was in one of the recent interviews i'm pretty sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just as a note:

The Diablo series is basically a Hack'n'Slash Dungeon Crawler. The story might be interesting and/or great, I have no idea how fun the boss fights will be, but basically, all you do is killing mobs. Think you play WoW but that all quests are basically "kill stuff". That's basically the gameplay, you kill stuff and farm gear.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/05/06...r-inferno-mode

01:15 in video he say and i quote:

You can absolutely solo inferno. We didn't design inferno to be(require) cooperative play. The game Adjust it's difficulty based on the number of players. However if you can coordinate well multiple players will do better than a single one because they have more capability. Now they have much greater capacity for everything to go horribly wrong because you do not have to rely on anybody when you play just by yourself. But the ability to combine different classes and combo's is sort of what makes inferno really interesting.
    my english might be off this is just a quick transcript of what's relevant here

edit:

I for one believe the first legit clear of inferno will be a group of players definately containing a monk in its group make-up and probably 3 total in that group
    Last edited by Postaldude; 2012-05-07 at 02:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Until the latest update which offered a way to respec, D2 was just as much about spec as gear. If you started a level 1 char and made bad build choices early on all the gear in the world wouldn't get you through Hell. I mentioned gear 4 times in 3 sentences, not sure how much more about gear I could make it sound, especially when my last statement was, "it's about gear."

also, at VXFadhel, I remember reading or hearing that it will be possible solo. Would be silly for it not to be as well.
    Very good point but I was mainly wierded out by you saying "getting the perfect build" because you almost made it sound hard to get the perfect build in D2 while it was the easiest part except of course putting a point in the wrong skill and having to remake your char

@VXFadhel :
    As far as I know everything is based around single player with added hp/dmg in multiplayer games so it should be possible to solo.

Pretty good at a general explanation I would think. Shows the story and the game play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jay already stated that it's much possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

You can. Co-op might be easier if everyone knows how to work together, but co-op can also be harder if your playmates suck like hell. It all depends on the situation.

I do as well hope its possible to solo inferno. I am just saying that its possible that its not the case as well. Also imagine the crab that will fly around at the devs if Inferno wasnt solo-able. I am open minded Oo Lets say about 80% I think that inferno is gonna be solo-able^.^

Deleted
    Diablo 3 is about ruining my exams...

... and gear