Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    It is imposible to balance arenas , or any format
    While without healers in this game , each game wont last , more than 30 sec .
    Arenanet with the capture system , is giving u a choice , of 1) farm down ur oponents for 5 points each (max 500) , or 2) capture the bases-collect some points and outplay the oponents
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-05-07 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    It sounds like you're suggesting they will never add to PvP.
    I'm suggesting that even if they do, it will be too little too late. That is if they bother. Considering that their current PvP offering matches PvE offering in target audience (casual), I'm not seeing financial sense in ever trying for e-sport level outside pretty speeches either. It would require significant additional investment, likely changes to current base model of their trinity (as any kind of deathmatch format is largely a slugging match with current model) and generally pulling a whole lot of rabbits out of the hat. All for fairly minimal returns, as the game already has a very bad rep with the competitive crowd due to treatment of GW1 e-sport vets in late game GW1 and complete abandonment of these people in GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    They've actually openly claimed to have tested multiple game modes with sPvP, and didn't like how it worked out for one reason or another. They're not "refusing" to add more game modes, they have actually been trying to add them and didn't like the results, and so chose to stick with only one, for now.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    I'm suggesting that even if they do, it will be too little too late. That is if they bother. Considering that their current PvP offering matches PvE offering in target audience (casual), I'm not seeing financial sense in ever trying for e-sport level outside pretty speeches either. It would require significant additional investment, likely changes to current base model of their trinity (as any kind of deathmatch format is largely a slugging match with current model) and generally pulling a whole lot of rabbits out of the hat. All for fairly minimal returns, as the game already has a very bad rep with the competitive crowd due to treatment of GW1 e-sport vets in late game GW1 and complete abandonment of these people in GW2.
    E-sport is for the spectacle of it. You don't need Death Match mode to be an E-sport or a competitive game; if that was the case LoL, HoN, SC, ect (all which contain only one mode up until only recently with LoL) wouldn't be considered as such. I don't see the reasoning of death match as the only determining factor of what is an e-sport and what isn't.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    E-sport is for the spectacle of it. You don't need Death Match mode to be an E-sport or a competitive game; if that was the case LoL, HoN, SC, ect wouldn't be considered as such. I don't see the appeal of death match.
    In a lot of ways, the standard LoL match on Summoner's Rift can be considered a "conquest" mode, in that you sort of conquer and control areas of the map at a meta-game level.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    GW1 wont go anywhere
    While the vets could still play GW1 and and win the tournaments of GW2
    Double fame from both games

E-sport is for the spectacle of it. You don't need Death Match mode to be an E-sport or a competitive game; if that was the case LoL, HoN, SC, ect wouldn't be considered as such. I don't see the appeal of death match.
    You're missing the point. DOTA/MOBA format is RTS just like SC, where game is about strategy. That means important things are map control, path of expansion, teamplay on strategic scale and so on. This essentially requires top down view, severe consequences of strategic failure and small consequences of tactical failure which is a polar opposite of 3rd and 1st person games. It's very difficult to make strategic scale truly matter in the same way in 1st/3rd person view RPG as it requires a completely different approach to gameplay in general including making tactical elements far less important (which would simply require arenanet to break current gameplay and start over).

Deathmatch varieties as a format are far more suitable to a typical 3rd person RPG competitive arena.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't try sPvP or even WvW over BWE1, as I wanted to wait until BWE2 on the hopes that the server stability and optimization will be improved. So I don't really have any first-hand experience in seeing how strategic (or not) sPvP really was.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're missing the point. DOTA/MOBA format is RTS just like SC, where game is about strategy. That means important things are map control, path of expansion, teamplay on strategic scale and so on. This essentially requires top down view, severe consequences of strategic failure and small consequences of tactical failure which is a polar opposite of 3rd and 1st person games. It's very difficult to make strategic scale truly matter in the same way in 1st/3rd person view RPG as it requires a completely different approach to gameplay in general including making tactical elements far less important (which would simply require arenanet to break current gameplay and start over).

Deathmatch varieties as a format are far more suitable to a typical 3rd person RPG competitive arena.
    Why more suitable than domination? Where the goal is just as clear and is more suited to the game's actual mechanics.

Wouldn't the addition of tactical elements be better for a competitive game rather than just a mindless fight to the death? 1st/3rd/topdown view aside.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-05-07 at 07:42 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

The only reason it requires a top down view is because you can then see more of your surroundings. That doesnt mean that 1st/3rd person viewed RPG's have no strategy.

Theres gonna be tons of hax and bots for GW2.
    Bots will be close to impossible to detect (just look at WoW these days - those that get banned are only ones that got reported a lot of times and banhammer wave came - I know people who bot almost 24/7 and still survived those ban waves).
    Hax will be removed over time and hopefully theyll be able to insta detect those by the game & client (important that BOTH do those checks - client can be cheated out easly) and insta ban accounts (just bit like PunkBuster stream bans - Player connects and insta banned).
    Its an ongoing and endless war.

Deleted
    Bots and multiboxers need to copy past into the addon folder ?
    If yes , there is no support for addons in GW2

Bots dont req. you to do anything except launch the 3rd party app and press "Start", at times maybe you choose what you want it to do "Lvl me from 1 to 85!", "PvP for me!", "Level me professions!", "Farm me mats!" and "be sure to use random pathing!". Everything is fully automated. Yes, they are so advanced these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Speedhacks already eh... that's slightly disheartening.

Emmm, are you sure it's not just the speed buffs guys? Everybody is supposed to have a speed buff one way or another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Theres gonna be tons of hax and bots for GW2.
    Bots will be close to impossible to detect (just look at WoW these days - those that get banned are only ones that got reported a lot of times and banhammer wave came - I know people who bot almost 24/7 and still survived those ban waves).
    Hax will be removed over time and hopefully theyll be able to insta detect those by the game & client (important that BOTH do those checks - client can be cheated out easly) and insta ban accounts (just bit like PunkBuster stream bans - Player connects and insta banned).
    Its an ongoing and endless war.
    Botting the the open world might not work. Consider the dynamic nature of the world and the possible variables of population and difficulty, I would think it would be next to impossible.

Botting the the open world might not work. Consider the dynamic nature of the world and the possible variables of population and difficulty, I would think it would be next to impossible.
    It is and "dynamic" world doesnt change that much, there are still spots with just creeps you can farm over and over again (at least in 1-25 zones). Just leave your farm bot there... or have it run randomly in WvWvW for whatever the reason ("Go for where biggest zerg is" - yup they got that option too!).

Population has no impact... "Just some guy farming creeps". In WoW it works easly even in BGs that are "crowded".
    There will be bots for GW2 and theyll get better and better with more functions over time, sadly. Sad but true.
    Difficulty? If current bots in wow can recognize if your fishing bober moved or how far you are from dig site... theyll spot "bad" attacks and dodge too.

Not to mention geared and max lvl char in low zone is still "VERY TOUGH" character and annihilates creeps very fast. Had this myself in in "lvl3" while being 24. Ate those creeps within 2-3 skill uses (no dodge etc).
    Last edited by Rapti; 2012-05-07 at 08:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps I underestimate the will to cheat and the lengths those will go through for the easy way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    The only reason it requires a top down view is because you can then see more of your surroundings. That doesnt mean that 1st/3rd person viewed RPG's have no strategy.
    Movable top-down view is what allows for strategic depth. It was essentially the same issue as what happened between BF2/2142/etc and BF3. Strategic element shrank immensely without the person who had this view to lead from. Without it and limited to 1st person squad commanders, far more weight had to be (and was) placed on individual tactics, otherwise players will feel like soldiers on the battlefield in real life: relatively meaningless cogs in a machine that could keep on trucking without them just fine.

I would think that the people who hack will get banned just like in WoW. I have seen plenty of people doing speed hacks and all that in WoW, but it usually doesn't take very long for them to get caught. As long as Gw2 has a good Gm team and has an easy way to report players for exploitation I don't see this being much of a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Movable top-down view is what allows for strategic depth. It was essentially the same issue as what happened between BF2/2142/etc and BF3. Strategic element shrank immensely without the person who had this view to lead from. Without it and limited to 1st person squad commanders, far more weight had to be (and was) placed on individual tactics, otherwise players will feel like soldiers on the battlefield in real life: relatively meaningless cogs in a machine that could keep on trucking without them just fine.
    It's almost like we need a minimap and a global map to let us see what is happening strategically on the map!

Wait a minute...