Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What is the most liberal/conservative state in the US?

As a outsider living in the US i always wondered what is the most liberal/conservative state in the US?

I must say from what ive read and my generally feeling the most liberal state is vermont and the most conservative is utah

Am i wrong what would you say is the most liberal/conservative state in the US?

I would say Cali is most liberal but they did vote to ban gay marriage so I don't know the real answer to this.

I don't feel republicans are conservative so allow me to just say the most republican state is Oklahoma.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the common knowledge would probably go Liberal-California, Conservative-Texas, but I don't think that's really true. Living in Houston, I can tell you that the big cities in Texas are actually surprisingly liberal, and the California countryside is pretty conservative.

In reality, I'd guess:

Liberal - Massachussetts
    Conservative - Maybe West Virginia?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

west virginia will not be the most conservative. you need to remember unions (a manufacturing base staple) are democratic. it will be a more rural, less manufacturing state that is the most conservative. my guess is something like Wyoming, utah, idaho or one of the Dakotas.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think the common knowledge would probably go Liberal-California, Conservative-Texas, but I don't think that's really true. Living in Houston, I can tell you that the big cities in Texas are actually surprisingly liberal, and the California countryside is pretty conservative.

In reality, I'd guess:

Liberal - Massachussetts
    Conservative - Maybe West Virginia?
    WV isn't in the running, it's a very pro union state and most elected politicians at the state level are democractic. The state usually votes republican in the presidential election due to religious and envrionmental issues exclusively (coal and hunting is the only thing WV does) which are issues usually held by local level democrats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DraconusIX View Post
    west virginia will not be the most conservative. you need to remember unions (a manufacturing base staple) are democratic. it will be a more rural, less manufacturing state that is the most conservative. my guess is something like Wyoming, utah, idaho or one of the Dakotas.
    I don't think Utah. I could see Wyoming or Idaho, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I don't think Utah. I could see Wyoming or Idaho, though.
    utah is extremely conservative, but is at odds with the republican party over a few issues. they are their "own brand". If you go by % of population as registered republicans, utah might win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    WV isn't in the running, it's a very pro union state and most elected politicians at the state level are democractic. The state usually votes republican in the presidential election due to religious and envrionmental issues exclusively (coal and hunting is the only thing WV does) which are issues usually held by local level democrats.
    Remember we're talking about conservative vs. liberal, not democrat vs. republican. I could be wrong, but I always got the sense that W. Virginia was extremely conservative, at least socially.

Then again, there are other states getting ready to outlaw gay marriage in constitutional ammendments, and Oklahoma has outlawed Sharia Law in their constitution (which is moronic, if you ask me, and I was born there).

progressive is the other side of conservative not liberal.

progressive sees things not working and want to try something new to make it work.
    conservative sees things not working and try to make it more like it was in the past.

Now a liberal is some on that feels liberty is the most important thing in life. sadly this means that most of the time people shit talking liberals are just being liberals them selves.

There are different brands of each label, so its really a matter of personal preference, but you can make such claims about general regions.

If you want liberal states look to new england and the west coast. If you want conservative states look to the deep south.

If you want specific examples, lets say Mass. and Miss. just for show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easy,

Liberal = Mass.
    Conservative = Miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    As a outsider living in the US i always wondered what is the most liberal/conservative state in the US?
    It's not exactly an easy question to answer.

Many people would state that California is the most liberal state, but because of the population distribution it's a few large liberal cities that swing votes liberal in an otherwise conservative state. Illinois is the same way with Chicago.

You have it work the other way too -- Texas is considered very conservative you but can have areas like Austin that are liberal.

Then you have the issue of measurement -- as you looking at Rep vs Democrat? How people vote? What laws are on the books?

You need to clarify your definitions a bit in order to get a coherent answer from the population.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    You have it work the other way too -- Texas is considered very conservative you but can have areas like Austin that are liberal.
    Houston too. Harris County (where Houston is) is bright blue. Also, Houston has a large gay community in the Montrose district. I think it's partly because you have a very large international group of people in Houston who tend to be more liberal than the domestic small town population around them.

Actually, ALL of the big cities in Texas are bright blue.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-05-01 at 04:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Liberal = Mass
    Conservative = South Carolina, yeah Gingrich won the primaries there.

and this is the state of the Democratic Party in SC
    Last edited by Clevername; 2012-05-01 at 04:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vermont (Lib)/Kansas (Con)
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2012-05-01 at 04:54 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    While not strictly a liberal/conservative map, it is a good map for Democrat vs. Republican in the 2004 presidential race:

I would label California/Vermont as some of the most liberal

as for conservative my best guess would have to be West Virginia/Mississippi

Mostly Republican voter would be Utah (like 90% registered Republicans here) But most conservative? Probably not Utah, Idaho is my guess.

Mostly Democrat... California or New York. Most liberal though? Eh, California. Cuz o' them hollywood people and San Francisco communities.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Not a single District voted for Obama in Oklahoma during his first run. I believe he actually lost several districts in the recent primaries here as well. Oklahoma is extremely conservative. I wouldn't give it to Texas just because of Austin, aka lil Cali.

People saying california need to understand something, along the coasts and in the big cities its very liberal, but as soon as you go inland, it flip flops hard core, most of orange county is very conservative.

The most power full radio station in the country is KFI, is LA based with mostly conservative talk show hosts.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.