Page 1 of 3
LastLast

the Sage and the Sorcerer WOW what a difference

hey guys

so today i decided to go back and play with my sorc toon(Canderous Ordo was down><) anyhoo while playing my sorc 22 i just have to say WOW this guy is STRONG in the Force lol. me and Khem rape every strong mob we see with khem barely going below 1/2 HP with 1 shield.

man me and the sage with the same psec tree balance/madness i had such a hard time keeping Qyzen up and the damage output was nowhere the same. I had a question about the armoring of qyzen/khem.

Does str and aim gear build melee stats the same or is str just a stronger armoring. endurance and damage wise khem is far beyond qyzen and.

lastly i just gotta say going empire is a BLAST lol total badassery abounds killing the weak destroying the strong and lightning EVERYWHERE think my repub toons are gonna be left alone for a while lol.

LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE zap zap

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it has something to do with the +presence buffs introduced by legacy perks in 1.2. Although I`m not sure of the exact numbers behind it, having a lot of presence at low level is probably huge. Do you have a human at 50?

lol I had the opposite experience. Sage feels a lot stronger to me than my Sorcerer did, and I don't have any of the presence buffs from Legacy.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have both a 50 sorc and sage... and I must say, I do enjoy my sage more, the sorc seems more polished.. plus better spell effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Khem Val and Scourge are both heads and shoulders above the other melee tanks. They both have abilities that give them a 20% armor buff that lasts 15 seconds on a 12 second cooldown as well as two passive healing abilities.

Actually: Scourge doesn't have one of the passive heals. So Khem Val is just the best tank period.
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-05-07 at 07:15 PM.

yea my sage is 324 presence and my sorc is 124 atm sage benefits from my troopers all comp presence + the 100 human presence buff

the sorc is on different server than sage and still feels a bit stronger damage wise. gotta wait til sorc is lvl34 and compare throw with lightning and see what the flat difference is lol

and MAN oohh buddy is the gear sooo much better looking on sorc lol

Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    I have both a 50 sorc and sage... and I must say, I do enjoy my sage more, the sorc seems more polished.. plus better spell effects.
    Half of the spell effects being a variation of the other, not really sure I'd agree, but to each his own. (By which of course I am referring to DPS Sorcs where almost every attack is Pink Lightning).

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Khem Val and Scourge are both heads and shoulders above the other melee tanks. They both have abilities that give them a 20% armor buff that lasts 15 seconds on a 12 second cooldown as well as two passive healing abilities.
    All tanks, Qyzen included, have that armor buff ability. Not all tanks have a self heal though, the ones that do not have the -5% enemy damage ability instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    All tanks, Qyzen included, have that armor buff ability. Not all tanks have a self heal though, the ones that do not have the -5% enemy damage ability instead.
    Hmmm.. so they do. I don't know why I didn't notice that.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    and MAN oohh buddy is the gear sooo much better looking on sorc lol
    Ugh...the helmets for sorc are ghastly, for the most part. Hmm...Now that I think about it, most of the helmets in this game are fugly.
    Opulence. I has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Hmmm.. so they do. I don't know why I didn't notice that.
    Lol no worries, I only noticed myself cause I leveled an assassin using Khem 95% of the time, then next I started working on an agent who only has Kaliyo and I noticed their abilities were almost the same functionally, cept Kaliyo has the high threat AoE -5% enemy damage reduction compared to Khem's high threat AoE self heal. So I looked at other tanks and noticed most of them had the -5% enemy damage AoE, but a few(Khem, Scourge, Xalek...seems the force based tanks) have the AoE self heal.

Khem does have the minor advantage that his tank stance include a small passive self-heal whenever an enemy dies(none of the other tanks seem to have this) but otherwise, all tanks are basically the same. They all have both a tank stance(increased threat gen and shield chance) and an offensive stance(reduced threat gen, 5% damage increase, reduced CD on DPS abilities) and, once they have all their abilities, they seem to have all of the following:
    1)Single target taunt
    2)AoE taunt
    3)Strong high threat single target attack that boosts armor
    4)Strong single target attack with no other effect(or in some cases, with a knockback for weak/standard mobs)
    5)Weak 3 target AoE attack
    6)Moderate damage, high threat AoE attack that EITHER heals both you and the companion or reduces enemy damage by 5%
    7)2 min CD -25% damage taken ability
    8)A gap closer of some sort(may or may not deal damage, may or may not immobilize the target)
    Last edited by Stormcall; 2012-05-08 at 09:44 AM.

So many things will account for this difference. Gear, Presence, Level differences between you and the mobs being attacked, types of mobs being attacked... It's really difficult to have any solid comparison between two mirror classes unless the only thing between them that is different is the class itself.

If you truly, honestly, want to try and find if there is a real difference, get both to 50 in the same gear set/stats, and bring them to Ilum where they could fight the exact same group, and see which one does better.

How important is presence why leveling your character?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Froggy View Post
    It only amps up your companions stats, but I wouldn't go as far as actually USING it. Just stick with your main stats and you will be fine. Throw some gear your companions way every one and a while too.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Froggy View Post
    It depends on how much you want to AFK

Normally it would be faster to follow your Class' proper stat priority, but if you want to AFK most of the leveling process, you can try to stack as much Presence as possible, and have your pet do it for you

Pets also use gear, so if you're doing this, you probably need to keep it's gear level appropriate as well
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    It only amps up your companions stats, but I wouldn't go as far as actually USING it. Just stick with your main stats and you will be fine. Throw some gear your companions way every one and a while too.
    Yeah. Presence is nice to have if you're getting it(ie, from Legacy stuff) but you wouldn't want to actually gear for it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Deleted
    I have played both Sorc and Sage rather alot. I dont find them so much different. I will admit that Khem Val is a slightly better tank than Qyzen Fess.
    I have never understood why Qyzen Fess need Aim, and Khem Val (and Bowdar) need Strength.

I also think that in general Sorc has better looking armor, and the purple lightning is a nice effect, but the big draw back with Sorc is that all effects is purple lightning in some slight variation. Every spell looks the same, and it becomes very boring quick. Sage might not have so cool effects, but at least they vary alot, from pebbles, to big chunks, to great white balls of nastyness.

I find the Sage more funnier, even with a slighty worse tank and not as fancy armor.

But that is my opinion...
    Last edited by mmocac363bbe61; 2012-05-08 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by JackHeart View Post
    I have never understood why Qyzen Fess need Aim, and Khem Val (and Bowdar) need Strength.
    I guess since Fess is a "hunter" they figured bounty "hunter" gear would work for him? Kaliyo is an Aim using tank too, and she's a mercenary in the story as well, so I guess she uses mercenary game for the same reason. I dunno, that's all I can figure, the trooper's 2 tanks are both, well, troopers themselves(storyline wise), so they use Aim, Xalek is an an assassin tank, so he uses Willpower...since Fess and Kaliyo are both closest to bounty hunters(personality/storyline wise), I guess they figued BH gear would be best for them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I guess since Fess is a "hunter" they figured bounty "hunter" gear would work for him? Kaliyo is an Aim using tank too, and she's a mercenary in the story as well, so I guess she uses mercenary game for the same reason. I dunno, that's all I can figure, the trooper's 2 tanks are both, well, troopers themselves(storyline wise), so they use Aim, Xalek is an an assassin tank, so he uses Willpower...since Fess and Kaliyo are both closest to bounty hunters(personality/storyline wise), I guess they figued BH gear would be best for them.
    Was more the fact that Qyzen Fess is a melee that make me think he should be Strength instead of Aim. Mouse over on Aim and Strength at the companions, clearly tells you that Strength should be more suited for a melee than Aim. In my humble opinion.
    Kaliyo uses range weapons.