Screen goes black 5 seconds - SWTOR and TERA (not WoW or D3 open beta)

Hey everyone,

My new love is Tera (but I saw this problem in SWTOR), and every so often (happens three times per hour on average) my screen will go back, game sound will stutter and it will then come back.

The windows event viewer reports the nvidia drivers has stopped responding and was recovered.

I am running the following:
    eVGA Geforce GTX Ti 550 SC
    GSkill 16 gigs of RAM DDR3
    Intel Core i5 2500k
    ASUS p8z68 - VPRO
    Antec Three Hundred Versatile Mid Tower Gamer Case

My best guess is that it's overheating, but I have no idea how I can solve that. I got the graphics card in June 2011 and I upgraded the mobo, CPU and RAM in November. The problems started when I upgraded my CPU. I figure the old CPU was a bottleneck and the card never heated up too quickly. I figure with the card back to being a bottle neck, it's overheating.

If anyone here has advice on what programs to run to track the heat of the video card (I tried this in december, never found software that worked...). Or even how to solve this issue. I used the Tera Auto-Detect graphics mode, but have bumped it down since, and it still does it.

I have updated to the latest drivers and am not sure what to do from here.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Use MSI Afterburner to track card temps

Try checking your Nvidia Control Panel and check the settings to say "Use Application Settings" (basically, if the Nvidia control panel is overriding any settings that you're trying to use in-game, turn them off).
    If that doesn't work, or if you're already using application settings, then try rolling the drivers back 2 or 3 versions.

I might have been able to help more, if I actually had an Nvidia card.. :P
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

This has been happening for months, with me updating every time a new drivers comes out. I rolling back will help.

Thanks for the attempt!

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 09:07 PM ----------

I have been running the Precision EVGA software (MSI afterburner with a different skin).

My card while playing Tera clocked in at 74. That seems rather high. Can anyone comment?