Windows Experience Index dropped after getting more RAM

Title pretty much says it all. I had 2 GB of RAM, DDR2 667 MHz. I took out one of my generic 1 GB sticks of RAM and replaced it with a 2 GB Corsair 667 MHz DDR2 stick. Now I have 3 GB of RAM, and my Windows Experience Index dropped from 4.8 to 4.7. Is this actually a problem? And if so, why the hell did upgrading cause Windows to rate my computer lower?

The speeds probably are not as fast because its not using dual-channel probably

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    The speeds probably are not as fast because its not using dual-channel probably
    Any advice on how I would go about fixing that? And is the problem even worth fixing? In other words, will I notice a drop in performance during gaming, or is it just Windows being dumb?

Some motherboards have compatibility issues with certain brands or models of memory when attempting to use them in dual-channel mode. For this reason, it is generally advised to use identical pairs of memory modules, which is why most memory manufacturers now sell "kits" of matched-pair DIMMs. Several motherboard manufacturers only support configurations where a "matched pair" of modules are used.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeajay View Post
    Some motherboards have compatibility issues with certain brands or models of memory when attempting to use them in dual-channel mode. For this reason, it is generally advised to use identical pairs of memory modules, which is why most memory manufacturers now sell "kits" of matched-pair DIMMs. Several motherboard manufacturers only support configurations where a "matched pair" of modules are used.
    Okay, that sucks I guess. Will this actually have a negative impact on running games though?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Okay, that sucks I guess. Will this actually have a negative impact on running games though?
    Most likely no. Also, WEI is a horrible way to determine how good/powerful your system is.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    There's like a 1-2% performance increase with dual channel (if it isn't fully utilizing the 2GB).
    If you needed the extra RAM (which you did in this case) no, it wouldn't have a negative impact.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not. For a few reasons.

First and foremost, your biggest mistake is even looking at the "Windows Experience Index". It's sort of like... It's sort of like checking the weather to see what the stock market will be like today. It means nothing, and is based off of some obvious, and some not so obvious (and not so relevant) things. Basically, ignore it. Never use it.

Second, You went from 2gb to 3gb, which is a fairly big increase, especially that particular area. Going from 1-2 is massive, going from 2-3 is big. Going up from there isn't a huge deal unless you do a lot of ram intensive games. And unless you're using a 64bit OS, it wont even matter.

EDIT: This following info is for reference and examples. Your situation may or may not apply.

i5 2500K (A very popular intel cpu) has a core clock of ~800, a 33 multiplier, so its actual CPU Speed is 3.30ghz (3300mhz)

the i5-670 has a core clock of ~1066, x26, so its speed is 3.46.

Here's the fun part though. The '670 pretty much MUST have 1066 RAM, event hough its an older CPU (by about a year). The newer '2500K would require at least DDR 800, but you can barely even get that on the market anymore.

There is -no- reason not to get 1066 ram, or 1333 ram. Its cheaper, compatible with everything*, and better upward scaling later on. It's not nearly so important anymore to match CPU core clock with RAM clock.

HOWEVER.

It -is- a little important to match your ram. A little. You went from (possibly) 2x sticks @ 800mhz, to perhaps 1x 800, and 1x 1066. They're slightly out of sync speed wise. Is this bad? No. Is it not optimal? Yes.

Think of it as... A Fedex truck. You see those huge semis on the road. One is going 70mph with 2 trailers. One is going 60mph with 3 trailers. Which one is 'doing more work'? The slower one, because its got 50% more load. It's doing its job better.

TLDR: Its not bad, but its not optimal. My suggestion is, when you have the time and money, buy another of what you just got and replace the other 1gb.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm not worried about it anymore. And yeah, I'll replace the other 1GB stick when I get around to it.