10+ Year Old Account

Air Force F-22 pilots blow the whistle

http://news.yahoo.com/fighter-pilots...opstories.html

Two pilots were basically told they'd be fired if they refused to fly. Problems with the planes oxygen system has caused issues with pilots in the past, including the death of one.
    The Air Force has also stressed that reports of "hypoxia-like symptoms" are exceedingly rare -- more than two dozen compared to the thousands of flights flown without incident.
    While it says later on that the Air Force is working to fix the problems, "including adding pilot-monitoring equipment and improving the emergency oxygen system", but this quote seems very suspect. If there is a problem, you fix it. If it has problems in the past, you don't just ignore because there isn't a high percentage of people experiencing the same problem. One other thing caught my eye:

After a lengthy investigation, an Air Force Accident Investigation Board could not find the cause of the malfunction but determined "by clear and convincing evidence" that in addition to other factors, Haney was to blame for the crash because he was too distracted by his inability to breathe to fly the plane properly.
    This is in regards to the one death caused by the failing system. I'm not sure it's very PC to blame someone for their own death because they were "too distracted by their inability to breath". Sorry, I know they probably go through rigorous training and such, but when people discover they are being prevented from breathing, they tend to panic.

It all just seems very suspect. If you have a problem, solve it. Don't go firing people because they want people to know about it. In normal employment areas, that's illegal. You can't fire someone because they are afraid for their safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    This is in regards to the one death caused by the failing system. I'm not sure it's very PC to blame someone for their own death because they were "too distracted by their inability to breath". Sorry, I know they probably go through rigorous training and such, but when people discover they are being prevented from breathing, they tend to panic.
    Pretty sure it's not clean cut like that, it could have been a carbon monoxide build up, unless you'r super aware, that can sneak up on you. Hell every year people die from BBQ'ing inside, kills them where they're standing.

Welcome to the air force. The flying continues regardless of the situation. Its all about the mission not the bullshit they spew out at commander's calls where they claim that the most important asset is the people in the service. Don't think so? What about all the flightline maintainers that have to work 6 days a week 12 hour shifts to keep the jets up and running to meet the ridiculous flying hour requirement. No, they don't care about their people they only care about their mission and they will break everyone's backs to keep those jets flying regardless of system malfunctions.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

I watched a 60 Minutes special on this. An officer in charge, or at least somewhat in charge, wasn't even very polite about it when he basically said the lives of the pilots aren't as important as keeping the planes flying. What's great about that is their documented deployment is nothing more than flying over a base in Iran once - they haven't been used for anything of consequence yet.

It's downright infuriating If this were a private company they would be forced to cease operations because human lives are at risk when performing non-crucial operations. It's not like it's standard military danger, either; there's nobody shooting back at these pilots, they're just suffocating.

However, in the defense of people that have to solve this problem...the system in charge of air filtration is dead-fucking-center in the middle of the plane. They have to tear the thing completely apart.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-05-08 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    Welcome to the air force. The flying continues regardless of the situation. Its all about the mission not the bullshit they spew out at commander's calls where they claim that the most important asset is the people in the service. Don't think so? What about all the flightline maintainers that have to work 6 days a week 12 hour shifts to keep the jets up and running to meet the ridiculous flying hour requirement. No, they don't care about their people they only care about their mission and they will break everyone's backs to keep those jets flying regardless of system malfunctions.
    Pretty much this. It's not just the Air Force though. As far as the military is concerned, members are not people, but merely government property. They can make you do pretty much anything they want and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. That's not to say nobody cares about anyone else, because you do run into people who do give a crap. Unfortunately they're not usually the ones calling the shots. Unlike the way the movies portray things, the military doesn't promote based on leadership ability.

I have the utmost respect for those who continue to serve, but I have never once regretted getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    Pretty much this. It's not just the Air Force though. As far as the military is concerned, members are not people, but merely government property. They can make you do pretty much anything they want and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. That's not to say nobody cares about anyone else, because you do run into people who do give a crap. Unfortunately they're not usually the ones calling the shots. Unlike the way the movies portray things, the military doesn't promote based on leadership ability.

I have the utmost respect for those who continue to serve, but I have never once regretted getting out.
    Me either. I met some great people in the Army, but got tired of being treated like a brainless tool.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    This + another sad fact is that there is often no clear cut mission. The military complex needs conflict, whether it has clear cut goals or no goals at all.

Sounds about right for the Air Force. Especially the part where Bearshield said "They can make you do pretty much anything they want and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it." If there's one thing I've learned in my 2.5 years in the Air Force, it's that all they care about is how they look. It's ALL ABOUT LOOKS. They will do so much to "look good" but when it comes to actually living up to their claims, they don't have a pot to piss in. I'm counting down the days until my enlistment is up and currently pursuing early separation.