Need Help Getting Better

Hey, just some background I recently started LoL, and am lvl 22. I can play Support and AD decently when I solo que, (18/3/15) last game. However when I que with friends I do an abysmal job of any role I play (1/27/2) last game. I am not sure why when I play with a group I do so much worse. Any tips for playing with a premade group would be appreciated.

I play Ashe/Annie/Janna no real exp with other champions. I should add that I only have runes for AD so I have to use them for other roles atm.
    Last edited by Zergin8r; 2012-05-08 at 01:48 AM.

When you are doing badly in a game turret hug and last hit under your turret.

Melee minions take 2 turret hits then an autoattack. Caster minions take 1 AA, 1 turret hit, 1 AA.

Learning to last hit under the turret is the most important thing you'll ever learn.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Well runes do help...but so does learning other champs. Maybe with friends u are a bit reckless on helping them.

-Watch pro streamers. They usually give out good information and strategies about champions.
    -Learn to last hit minions to get your cs (creep score) up. Try to aim for certain cs numbers by certain times.
    -Look up guides for certain champions you want to learn on solomid or lolpro. Don't use mobafire. Solomid and LoLpro usually consist of good strategies for the champions, good item builds, rune pages, and masteries.
    -Start out and pick a role that you really enjoy (Ad carry, Support, Jungle, Solo top, Solo mid) and learn a couple characters in that role thoroughly with the item builds and strategies.
    -Use your pings! The alert and retreat ping are pretty useful. Also, make sure to tell your teammates if your opposing laner is missing from the lane.

The champions you mentioned (Ashe, Annie, Janna) are all different roles. Ashe being an AD carry, Annie being a solo mid, and Janna being a support. I would suggest trying to start out learning one role. Also, no pressure if you're playing with friends or playing with random people. All you gotta do is learn the role you play, and try to play it effectively at least to where you can stay strong in a lane and not die. If you have to back off from a lane (Lets say, solo top) try to tell your team that you need to go back to base (or by typing "b") and hopefully, the jungler helps you out and keeps the laner away from the turret.

One more thing, be critical when you play. If you die or make a mistake, try to take a second to think what you could have done to change the outcome. Maybe you could have approached a teamfight from a different route on the map, or used a different skill that would benefit your team.

Have fun!

P.S: One more thing. Have a thick skin when playing LoL, whether your playing with friends or random people.
    Last edited by AlexTheGreat; 2012-05-08 at 02:30 AM.

When you queue by yourself as a level 22, you are facing other people of similar summoner level. If you queue with friends who are level 30, chances are you are facing other teams of level 30s. Below 30, levels roughly correlate to skill a lot better. Once you are facing level 30s, all bets are off because you could be facing a fresh level 30 with 100 wins or someone with 1500+ wins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BinarySolo View Post
    When you queue by yourself as a level 22, you are facing other people of similar summoner level. If you queue with friends who are level 30, chances are you are facing other teams of level 30s. Below 30, levels roughly correlate to skill a lot better. Once you are facing level 30s, all bets are off because you could be facing a fresh level 30 with 100 wins or someone with 1500+ wins.
    Actually, there's a hidden ELO in non-ranked games that prevent a fresh level 30 from meeting a veteran.

OK I checked my friends levels/ranks and they are 30 with 1896 and 1892 rating so I am prob playing against people with a way higher skill level?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    OK I checked my friends levels/ranks and they are 30 with 1896 and 1892 rating so I am prob playing against people with a way higher skill level?
    That's ranked elo. When playing normal games that doesn't matter. There's a hidden elo wich you cannot see by yourself but it is in the system.

Watch streams
    last hit
    ward your lane, dragon/baron/buffs
    help your jungler
    get ganks
    go gank
    farm (AD carry go afk farm.)
    Keep farming and splitpushing/backdooring. depending on what champ you are. YI = master of backdooring
    dont rage...will get you reported / banned for doing so
    Mobafire.com solomid.com clgaming.net <-- guides for each champions.
    Also, hidden NORMAL elo? whut... If your lvl 20, you meet pps around 17-25 probally. Im lvl 30 with 430 wins, and I can meet pps with 1k wins and still do good. Wins doesnt matter tbh.
    Ranked: elo elo elo elo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, it needs to be mentioned. If the enemy jungler isn't in sight (meaning that there isn't a ward out, or he isn't ganking the other lanes) don't be ballsy and try to kill your laning opponent, unless you are sure you can take on an extra person. That sort of recklessness has killed me more times than I can count when the target just flashes away and I get stuck with him and a jungler...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    Even though ranked ELO is different from normal ELO, you may assume their normal ELO is around the same levels. 1900 is pretty damn high, near platinum level. So yes, if you are completely new, you will be playing against players who are likely more skilled than most players on this forum, myself included.

Ok well I guess I just need more practice then. Thanks for the info guys.

One of teh best things you can do is watch "theoddones" stream on solomid. He almost always jungles, so u get to see the whole map and a bit of what each lane is doing , also he constantly talks. What this guys should do and that guy should do , admits when he messes up and tells you why. Very informative stream.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    That's ranked elo. When playing normal games that doesn't matter. There's a hidden elo wich you cannot see by yourself but it is in the system.
    Yeah but if they have 1900 ELO in ranked, they are really good players, so their hidden normal ELO is probablly really high aswell.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTheGreat View Post
    One more thing, be critical when you play. If you die or make a mistake, try to take a second to think what you could have done to change the outcome. Maybe you could have approached a teamfight from a different route on the map, or used a different skill that would benefit your team.
    Yeah this has helped me a lot, been a lot of times where I have been in a hairy situation and one screw up has cost me a death or even once a loss >.>

Signature done by Eis

Been practicing AD, I am pretty decent with Caitlyn now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzleMyGrizzle View Post
    Mobafire.com solomid.com clgaming.net <-- guides for each champions.
    Also, hidden NORMAL elo? whut... If your lvl 20, you meet pps around 17-25 probally. Im lvl 30 with 430 wins, and I can meet pps with 1k wins and still do good. Wins doesnt matter tbh.
    LOL Matchmaking Explained

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzleMyGrizzle View Post
    There is ELO in normal, I've really noticed it lately aswell. I have really good winratio in normals and when I queue with friends we're always up against decent people, but when I spectate my friends without me queueing with them the other team is usually 5 derps.