Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppey View Post
    I can play max 5-8 hours per week. I don't have time to play more due to work, family, etc.. and when I'm going to play I want to have full experience, not limited by my lack of time to waste.
    most people dont play more than that anyway, the base stuff they give you is good enough to play with anyway. 5-8 hours a week shouldnt hold you back from getting any unlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    most people dont play more than that anyway, the base stuff they give you is good enough to play with anyway. 5-8 hours a week shouldnt hold you back from getting any unlock.

This would be true if I was going to spend all my free time playing one game, however I'm playing multiple games with 2 hours max per game. And indeed there are many people who play many hours a day farming items, unlocks or whatever just to gain advantage over others.

Skill unlocks are the modern version of quarter sinks.

This is nature of gaming. It hasn't changed from what it was in the 1980s to now.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Taking a FPS game, any of them, you don't need to unlock a "better" weapon. In the CoD games for example, I prefer the earlier unlocks, or starting guns. BF3 is the same. If you feel like you need to unlock later guns in order to be good, then in reality you aren't very good at the game. In MMORPGs, like WoW, I have done better than people higher level then me, I have done better than people who way out-gear me. Play smart > gear, always. This is also the opinion of someone who rarely ever plays any games, like < 1 hour a week.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerplumb View Post
    Taking a FPS game, any of them, you don't need to unlock a "better" weapon. In the CoD games for example, I prefer the earlier unlocks, or starting guns. BF3 is the same. If you feel like you need to unlock later guns in order to be good, then in reality you aren't very good at the game. In MMORPGs, like WoW, I have done better than people higher level then me, I have done better than people who way out-gear me. Play smart > gear, always. This is also the opinion of someone who rarely ever plays any games, like < 1 hour a week.

Who cares about being best at the game, I just want to have fun... and enjoy the game with every player having access to same perks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tannerplumb View Post
    When it comes to MMOs like WoW, good gear does not make a player magically know the strategy.

Or get out of the fire.
    Putin khuliyo

Who cares about being best at the game <snip>
    Considering these type of games are often competitively designed, some with the intention of being an E-sport, it is reasonable to say quite a few care about being the best in the game. Or at the least, striving for such rankings. Games of this type are enormously popular.

Deleted
    Who cares about being best at the game, I just want to have fun... and enjoy the game with every player having access to same perks.
    But that's your opinion. I bet at least 95% of the players want to have a sense of accomplishment and progression in their games.

Btw, can you tell me a game of "the good old times" where you had like 0 unlocks? I cant really think of any atm.

you pretty much agreed with me, more you play, better weapons you get. btw I don't want to be pro player, i just want to enjoy the game casually
    I pretty much disagreed with you. Looks like you should reread my post about battlefield. I don't see problems with unlocks. If you can't play games there are unlock choose another game/hobbie. My friend stopped playing games and started to play Guitar. Now he has a band and he stopped care about his wow toon or other games.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feio View Post
    Btw, can you tell me a game of "the good old times" where you had like 0 unlocks? I cant really think of any atm.
    Counter Strike, Quake3, UT, Battlefield (original), Call of Duty (before Modern Warfare)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feio View Post
    But that's your opinion. I bet at least 95% of the players want to have a sense of accomplishment and progression in their games.

Halo CE and Halo 2.

All excellent shooters with no unlockables to give you any sort of advantage. Even playing field makes for actual competition.

If time spent in a game gives you an advantage over someone else, that's terrible(i.e. Call of Duty).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love unlocks. Adds more of a reason to keep playing the game and something to work towards getting. It's a hell of a lot better than paying $10 for a weapon pack DLC. If everything was there for you right at the start with no unlocks and nothing to work towards what would be the point? Yeah sure you might have fun for the first couple of days or the first week but then after a while you're going to say "Man i wish there was more to it than just this."

So in all, unlocks add more gameplay value and gives you a reason to keep playing the game. Why would you hate something like that?
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Why should you be entitled to the same gear as those who spent countless hours unlocking said gear?
    Those players who put in countless hours have most likely become more skilled at the game and are more worthy of said gear.

Your lack of dedication to the game means even if you had better gear, you might still be holding your team back.
    he means that everyone should start with the same stuff and that there is no unlockable.. so u just play for countless hours because its fun not because u are playing towards something

or atleast thats how i understood it

10+ Year Old Account
    BF3 is an example of a perk/unlock system fail, look at what you can do now, you can pay EA $40 to unlock a load of stuff.

OT - I'll have to disagree with you, having an unlock/perk system that is actually balanced correctly is brilliant, not only does it extend the life of the game (you want short and boring?) but it also gives something to work towards.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blockygame View Post
    BF3 is an example of a perk/unlock system fail, look at what you can do now, you can pay EA $40 to unlock a load of stuff.

OT - I'll have to disagree with you, having an unlock/perk system that is actually balanced correctly is brilliant, not only does it extend the life of the game (you want short and boring?) but it also gives something to work towards.
    Or it shortens the game ...

I bought MW2 and after tasting the awful unlocking system I just couldn't play it anymore, I want to shoot with THAT gun and not bloody build up for it with some peashooter. It's also one of the main reasons why I didn't buy BF3 after release. If I pick up a FPS I want to be on the same level as everyone else, I don't want to be handicapped in anything else than skill. Imagine if in CS you had to go through MAC-10, TMP, UMP to get to the AK and Colt, it would have destroyed the game.

It does not extend the lifetime of games, all games in the past did just fine without them, for Pete's sake people are still playing FPS games from over 10 years ago, this must tell you something ?

10+ Year Old Account
    You realize that you are pretty much bribed into everything you do in life right? Why do you have a job? Not because you want to contribute to society, but if you don't then you won't be able to support yourself.
    Hã... ok...

Life is all about Effort=Rewards with some skill factored in. If a competitive game time had to sense of progression and skill, then no one would play it.
    First of all, being logged on is not an effort, you don't need anything but free time to farm, let's say, IP in League of Legends. That's how you think competition should be? A struggle to find out who has more time to stay on the PC?

Second, competitive games don't need locked content to be successful. In PvP games, your progression comes from defeating better opponents and increasing your win/lose ratio. If you don't enjoy defeating people, you should play PvE games.

I'd also like to say that games like CoD and BF are all about reaction time.
    I'll say again, that's not an excuse for making the game with a stupid design.

If you feel like you need to unlock later guns in order to be good, then in reality you aren't very good at the game.
    More options > less options. Stop pretending it doesn't make difference.

Street Fighter 2 has being played for 20 years and it has no locked content. I think Starcraft also doesn't have locked content.

So in all, unlocks add more gameplay value and gives you a reason to keep playing the game. Why would you hate something like that?
    So you play games that you don't like because of the reward? Seriously?
    Last edited by Hraklea; 2012-05-08 at 11:04 PM.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Unlocks are fine in F2P games where you haven't paid anything out of pocket to play the game, and you could unlock pretty much everything just through playing. Those kind of games use micro-transactions and you are paying for the convenience of not having to grind for unlocks, which again is perfectly fine for a F2P game. The problem is that the B2P game publishers are now adopting this same mentality because they see more potential for profit, so they continually make the gear grind longer and longer to make you more likely to spend money to get it done quickly. THAT is what you should be taking a stand against.

They have fooled you into thinking that it is OK for them to release half a game as long as they can force you to spend twice as much time in that game grinding to unlock something that you have already paid for.

I am sick and tired of unlocks in almost every multiplayer game. Why do I have to spend countless hours to get some decent weapons and then even more to get best weapons? Why can't we just let skill decide who's the best?

I would like to play the games like Battlefield 3, but I can't enjoy the game. I always feel like I'm in a big disadvantage or I'm not helping enough my team due to bad gear. Same goes for games like LoL, Tribes Ascend and sadly even TF2.

Where are the good old times when we played the games for fun and not for false feeling of achievment and superiority?
    IMO it's more bullshit when you have tournament fighters (e.g., tekken, super smash bros) when you have to look up how to unlock all the characters. Character unlocking is one of the most boring things ever.

ESPECIALLY fighting games like Naruto (Clash of Ninja) where you have to grind 1-round battles for money to buy characters... Ugh!
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I kind of agree. Im over unlocking stuff as well (besides WoW), especially BF3 where you're at a huge disadvantage and when you've played Badcompany2 you're pretty much over unlocking and leveling all the way back up again. But it is cool getting that weapon or scope after farming it for ages

I like it and dislike it. It think its an essential thing really... all the no lifers would qq that the noobs get all the good stuff so there epeens aren't as big any longer :P

i just want to enjoy the game casually
    Then do it? Unlockable content shouldn't prevent you from enjoying a game, if it does then you might need to consider playing a different one.

That said I loved unlocking Mewtwo in SSB.