Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erquonter View Post
    It would end.

But really, they would have to find someone. Just because you are not a professional doesn't mean you can't be an IT guy
    Depends on your definition of "IT guy". Basic helldesk duties might be somewhat doable by others but I seriously doubt the average non-IT person would have a clue as to how to maintain a datacenter or perform even basic NOC duties.

Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    Depends on your definition of "IT guy". Basic helldesk duties might be somewhat doable by others but I seriously doubt the average non-IT person would have a clue as to how to maintain a datacenter or perform even basic NOC duties.
    Most basic NOC duties should be codified in general. But good luck getting access or passwords to service accounts

I would take advantage of it and get the skills and make $$. Muha!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Most basic NOC duties should be codified in general. But good luck getting access or passwords to service accounts
    Have you ever read some of the "manuals" for fixing stuff that exist in-house? In my experience they rarely spell out the stuff that a novice would need to know.

Both your redundant 155 Mbps links just managed to get null-routed? Oh, let's check what the manual says...

"Check if routing error originated locally or remotely? How do we do that? What's this BGP table thing it's talking about here? It says to 'call L3 NOC if remote', what does that mean? And what is the phone number? What are we supposed to tell them?"

15+ Year Old Account
    you don´t need every it professional stop working to have troubles

just the top 100 or less admins/database admins, they are the ones with the power in hands, if they chose to use it, the world would burn, within seconds
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    i would be making a shit load of money...

Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    Have you ever read some of the "manuals" for fixing stuff that exist in-house? In my experience they rarely spell out the stuff that a novice would need to know.

Both your redundant 155 Mbps links just managed to get null-routed? Oh, let's check what the manual says...

"Check if routing error originated locally or remotely? How do we do that? What's this BGP table thing it's talking about here? It says to 'call L3 NOC if remote', what does that mean? And what is the phone number? What are we supposed to tell them?"
    Lol our NOC duties are completely different than yours, the guys over there pretty much just make tickets when anything goes wrong and they get notified, and they watch unix processes to make sure the financial processing finishes every day.

They don't actually troubleshoot anything. They get flustered if anything goes off their script and they don't know who to call, too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Only Macs would survive because they don't get viruses!!!!
    Running iMac right now, I got a giggle from this post.

They'd be replaced with cheaper work, and lose their jobs and livelihoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael123 View Post
    Other people with less knowledge on IT would replace them until the society had educated qualified personel.
    I honestly find more not in the IT department have more knowledge than some of the supposed IT guys.

Ive seen the IT Crowd. Not much would change.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again"

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Ive seen the IT Crowd. Not much would change.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again"
    The fact that you think the IT Crowd is a true representation of what IT Professionals do saddens me.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    The fact that you think the IT Crowd is a true representation of what IT Professionals do saddens me.
    The fact you think I was serious saddens me...

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    The fact you think I was serious saddens me...
    Pity Party Abounds!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 100% sure the world in general would dip into chaos in 1 month, there people that have been working on the same program for 10 years, thats 10 years of knowledge of the same code, which would be highly customized by that said person, now throw some new guy at that code, to work on it effectively this new guy would need to learn how the older guy coded hes shit, and being that the old guy disappeared, I think he'd be taking a few years to study the old guy's code...

Quote Originally Posted by Cerunnir View Post
    Imagine that one day every single IT professional decided to stop working. They just left their desks and walked away at the same time, not returning untill 1 full year had passed.

What would happen to our modern society?
    we would have to figure out to reboot our computers with the helpdesk telling us :P
    "Peace is a lie"

Have to remember, IT people are not just those that support your PC when you get a virus or hardware fails. They are also the people fixing background issues most of you never even realize exist, because they are fixed before that.
    Many large companies use custom software in their business. They employ software developers to maintain that software. To put someone in their place that didn't have an IT background, it would take at the very best 6 months + to get someone trained.
    Web servers, data from banks....so much more. You can't just look what you need to know up in a book. Each company is different. Even if you know how to code in a language doesn't mean you can walk into a company and fix their software. Their software likely interfaces with other types of technology and you may for example have to understand what tables certain types of data are stored on a SQL server or something like that.

Point is, the world would be totally screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Only Macs would survive because they don't get viruses!!!!
    I lold. The only reason macs "dont get viruses" is because macs are so bad the community that writes viruses ignores them. They get more lulz messing up windows pcs.