Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Stood in the Fire notwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Doing fkng dailies around pandaland
    Posts
    369
    finally something else to do on meta

  2. #22
    Well, currently the damage doesn't add up to justify the cost. It deals roughly twice the damage that Demonic Slash does, but at five times the fury cost. Yes it's an AoE, but so is Void Ray, which also does a bit more damage than Slash (with a slightly longer GCD), is an AoE, and refreshes Corruption from a distance (though it's a bitch to aim accurately). CW can also cut into both fury generation and Molten Core procs if you aren't careful in how you use it.

    Of course damage hasn't been balanced yet, but if it doesn't do better damage per fury than Demonic Slash or Void Ray then it's not going to be worth using beyond extreme niches where you need to do a lot of damage in a very small window, or if you need to do quick AOE against flying targets.

    I could also be looking at it from the wrong angle and be completely wrong. Looking at it from just the DPCT then CW is clearly some awesome burst damage, but looking at it from damage per fury it looks weak. I'm not sure weather it's best to spend fury as fast as possible or to stay in Meta as long as possible to maximize DPS. The right answer is probably somewhere in the middle, and I'm not a hardcore enough theorycrafter to figure out where it is.

    edit: After some quick (potentially inaccurate) testing, it looks like Demonic Slash's tooltip is incorrect. CW does closer to three times the damage of Slash (at 89, in quest gear, reforged to 15.99% mastery, with DS popped).
    Last edited by Fallensaint; 2012-05-09 at 12:16 PM.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by kornoth View Post
    With full cd Chaos Wave crit for around 120k . And it's an aoe spell.... the 200 fury cost is justified. They will not nerf this spell because it's only OP at lvl 85. at 90 the 21k mastery from DS will not scale so fast and the spell will do less damage.
    DS scales with level, it only gives 6250 at level 85 which is (roughly) the same amount than 21k at level 90.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by kornoth View Post
    And it's an aoe spell.
    So, a single target rotational spell turns into a situational AoE spell in Meta? That is exactly what the class needs so it doesn't feel "complicated" to the wider playerbase

  5. #25
    Well, currently the damage doesn't add up to justify the cost. It deals roughly twice the damage that Demonic Slash does, but at five times the fury cost. Yes it's an AoE, but so is Void Ray, which also does a bit more damage than Slash (with a slightly longer GCD), is an AoE, and refreshes Corruption from a distance (though it's a bitch to aim accurately). CW can also cut into both fury generation and Molten Core procs if you aren't careful in how you use it.

    Of course damage hasn't been balanced yet, but if it doesn't do better damage per fury than Demonic Slash or Void Ray then it's not going to be worth using beyond extreme niches where you need to do a lot of damage in a very small window, or if you need to do quick AOE against flying targets.
    Sorry but void Ray is not a good aoe spell. You really think you're gonna have each add on a line?
    I think the demo aoe will consist off using immolation aura and Chaos wave , then to switch for human form and using RoF , and back to Demon form. Never use Void Ray.

    DS scales with level, it only gives 6250 at level 85 which is (roughly) the same amount than 21k at level 90.
    Merci pour la précision meegosh.

  6. #26
    Chaos Bolt was chaos damage when it first went live. Anyone remember why it got changed to fire?

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Talimar View Post
    Chaos Bolt was chaos damage when it first went live. Anyone remember why it got changed to fire?
    It was to do with resistances, but since resistances are gone in MoP it doesn't make any difference what damage school it is.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Talimar View Post
    Chaos Bolt was chaos damage when it first went live. Anyone remember why it got changed to fire?
    Because Blizzard hates warlocks.

    I don't mind using both shadow and fire for demo/destro. As a warlock in Demo I am to destroy via demonic power which is both fire and darkness. In destruction I am to destroy using chaotic energies, whatever they may be. I'd be interested in getting a fire dot for affliction tbh.

    Either way, Blizzard hates us and anytime something cool is launched its either nerfed or replaced.
    Soulburn: Unstable Affliction. A boy can dream.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by kornoth View Post
    Sorry but void Ray is not a good aoe spell. You really think you're gonna have each add on a line?
    I think the demo aoe will consist off using immolation aura and Chaos wave , then to switch for human form and using RoF , and back to Demon form. Never use Void Ray.
    I never said it was good, just that it does better damage per fury than CW and has some utility. It's difficult to aim, and impossible to use on enemies that are on a different vertical level. However, Void Ray's area of effect is quite a bit larger than it's graphic would suggest. Depending on the size of the targets and their grouping, it could potentially be effective if aimed properly. But that's a big if, and there's better and easier to use options for AoE for Demo.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Brauhm View Post
    Either way, Blizzard hates us and anytime something cool is launched its either nerfed or replaced.
    Yes, obviously the fact that they allowed a single spell to be resisted by Mage Ward means that Blizzard hates your class, good thinking there.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    It was to do with resistances, but since resistances are gone in MoP it doesn't make any difference what damage school it is.
    I don't think it was anything to do with resistances. Chaos damage could never be resisted because of it's physical component and Chaos Bolt had a special condition that prevents resistance anyway. So whether Chaos or Fire it would still ignore resistance completely.

    I thought it was more to do with Chaos damage ignoring damage reduction and immunities? That and being counterspelled would lock out every school, including physical.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2012-05-09 at 02:14 PM.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallensaint View Post
    However, Void Ray's area of effect is quite a bit larger than it's graphic would suggest.
    Really true, the lateral range is like ... dunno, 6 to 10 meters ? When i tested it, for any kind of pack, when the tank positions, so that all are in front of him, they all get hit anyway by the Void Ray. What i mean, is that it's not that complicated, it's not like we're trying to snipe a watermelon from 300 yards. As for the vertical "range", i can't seem to find a situation (pve-raid) where that might be a problem anyway, but i might be wrong.

  13. #33
    No matter how you say it, all 3 specs are more interesting and unique than live.
    We are recruiting!
    Full Spectrum - Alleria
    www.fullspectrumguild.com
    Top 50 Progress in 2 Nights Per Week
    WoW Insider Interview

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Oatz View Post
    No matter how you say it, all 3 specs are more interesting and unique than live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    Your UNIQUE is poor, irrelevant. No, they aren't interesting at all, on Beta... especially Destro and Demo, since Aff with cata is already the nobrain spec, at least in single target.
    Statement of opinion countered with statement of opinion !

  15. #35
    nothing named "chaos wave" will ever stay around sadly
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    Your UNIQUE is poor, irrelevant. No, they aren't interesting at all, on Beta... especially Destro and Demo, since Aff with cata is already the nobrain spec, at least in single target.
    I'm going to quote you:

    Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    Post on your main.... sorry but you deserve it.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    It was to do with resistances, but since resistances are gone in MoP it doesn't make any difference what damage school it is.
    Actually, it was removed because when you got kicked while Chaos Bolting, it locked you out of all schools in pvp.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
    Actually, it was removed because when you got kicked while Chaos Bolting, it locked you out of all schools in pvp.
    Yet that wasn't a problem for HoG? O.o

    Anyway, was a long time ago, perhaps I'm misremembering.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2012-05-09 at 05:40 PM.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Yet that wasn't a problem for HoG?
    Well Hand of Gul'dan is only Shadow & Fire. Chaos is Fire, Frost, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Holy & Physical.

    I would imagine that being locked out of physical abilties would prevent the use of things like racials, wands and I'm not sure but it may also prevent the use of items (trinkets) too. Also being locked out of holy may prevent the use of Lightwells.

    Besides, Hand of Gul'dan and Chaos Wave are both instant so that problem no longer exists, however it would still be a problem for Chaos Bolt, sadly.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Statement of opinion countered with statement of opinion !
    He's right. Demonic Fury, Burning Embers, and Soul Shards (the new Haunt) alone are a big difference. There might be less core abilities, but there's a lot more crap to keep track of and worry about.

    Affliction really hasn't changed much except for the loss of Shadow Bolt. But that's a pretty huge change.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •