Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Here in Georgia we have distracted driving laws that can get you ticketed for things like texting while driving, but I still see it all the time.

Drinking and driving can get you $1000's in fines plus jail time. I still know people who do it weekly some despite being caught before.
    The fine for using your phone while driving is 300USD here, they recently upped it from 100.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is like "hmm...its no fence around the train tracks, i better sleep on the tracks and then sue the train driver for almost killing me"
    Fuck logics
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

I need Professor Farnsworth in here.. Either that or I need to get a really good lawyer and set up some lawsuit as ludicrous as this to get rich.

It sucks that they were injured and lost their legs and what have you, but seriously it's like suing Eminem because his lyrical content made you kill somebody...

Quote Originally Posted by Arog View Post
    “They were texting back and forth like a verbal conversation,” Weinstein told ABCNews.com
    That line is possibly the one thing that makes it make sense.

The out of context assumption is that Person A has texted Person B, who was driving and read it, causing the accident.

Under those circumstances, there wouldn't be a hope of Person A being held liable in any way.

If there was a sustained conversation back and forth between Person A and Person B, **and** Person A knew that Person B was driving during this conversation but kept messaging anyway - knowing that Person B was replying whilst driving - then it does seem fair to say that Person A was an idiot who holds at least some responsibility for what happened.

The original story doesn't tell me enough to know if that's the case, but it does raise the possibility that our face value reading of the case is incorrect.

Or the lawyers could simply be trying it on...

Quote Originally Posted by ambivalence View Post
    I need Professor Farnsworth in here
    HAHA I almost posted that pic with my OP but decided with my opinion and pasting the article it would be too much. Glad to hear people are thinking it though

Quote Originally Posted by Arog View Post
    HAHA I almost posted that pic with my OP but decided with my opinion and pasting the article it would be too much. Glad to hear people are thinking it though
    Prolly a good idea, I posted the picture in a thread a guy created talking about the easiest way to clean your mousemat was to bring it with you when you showered. Got infracted =/

This is by far the most retarded lawsuit that I have seen...today

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Here's the thing. If texting while driving isn't banned in New Jersey, then the woman is at fault.

If texting while driving is banned, the driver is at fault.

Those are the only determining factors that matter in this case. Everything else is bullshit.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/l...hone_laws.html

According to state laws: The woman is not at fault, legally, for his crash.
    Whether it is illegal is not an issue. It's not her fault at all. Texting somebody does not cause a person to read the text and crash. This would be like blaming a person for another person breaking a window with a rock because they handed them the rock under the assumption that the rock was going to be used for landscaping their yard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, did the sender of that text make the driver pick up the phone, and read that text?
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

10+ Year Old Account
    That's retarded. How did the person sending the text know the other was driving? And if so, isn't it still the responsibility of the driver to ignore the text until he has a suitable chance to respond (IE: stopped, pulled over)

Frivolous lawsuits need to be made illegal.
    Putin khuliyo

good job, he's potentially taken money from an aquaintance, while simultaneously losing their respect.

How does this person not have his driver's license revoked with all his violations? I got 1 standard speeding ticket when i was 18 and i had my license suspended by the state for a semester while i was in college.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Weird and often downright stupid cases like these happen only because of the jury system.

Deleted
    Depends on if she knew he was driving, and knowingly continued the conversation.

But generally he shouldn't of been texting, she can text him he does not have to read them when he recieves them or he does not need to text her back

10+ Year Old Account
    He picked up the phone in response to receiving the message.
    He caused the accident.

I don't see how it's not his fault.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Yeah, ok, good luck with that. I don't think there's anybody on the planet who would rule in favor of that. She knew he would be driving? Bullshit.
    Remember the woman who got 10 mill because she forgot that coffee was hot and decided to leave it in between her legs while she was driving >_>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonnaderpya View Post
    Remember the woman who got 10 mill because she forgot that coffee was hot and decided to leave it in between her legs while she was driving >_>
    Different case. While she was stupid enough to cause that in the first place, there's also the matter of the coffee being hot enough to cause great injuries (AKA much, MUCH too hot. You can't drink a coffee that's hot enough to give you moderate burn wounds). Both parties were at fault in that case.

If the sender knew he was driving, then she is morally responsible for the accident. However, she cannot be held legally responsible.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffer View Post
    Different case. While she was stupid enough to cause that in the first place, there's also the matter of the coffee being hot enough to cause great injuries (AKA much, MUCH too hot. You can't drink a coffee that's hot enough to give you moderate burn wounds). Both parties were at fault in that case.
    :|

Where's my professor farnsworth jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Frivolous lawsuits need to be made illegal.
    This. The culture of litigation is just crazy.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    If the sender knew he was driving, then she is morally responsible for the accident. However, she cannot be held legally responsible.
    I've gotten texts while I was driving, but my dumbass knows to wait till I'm in a completely stopped position or until I'm completely at my destination to read a text.. and even then I hardly ever respond lol