Lightbulb Laptop Cooling help.

Hi guys. I own a HP Pavillion -dv7-4287cl, and i'm pretty much in love with it. I5, 8 gigs of memory, radeon 6550 GPU switchable graphics, etc. My only problem with it is heat. This thing basically cooks my left hand on a regular basis. I've heard of and browsed a few laptop cooling pads/docks. I'm curious if the community has a suggestion for a solid dock that can fit a 17 inch notebook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you want a port dock... or a cooling pad? they are very different.

In general dock's can only be reliably sourced from the manufacturer of your laptop (in this case HP) this is becuase if you want a snug fit and not just a bunch of USB connections the ports have to exactly match the cutouts on the dock.

Personally I tend to use one of those triangular rulers to prop the back of the laptop up while it's on the desk, This gives it adequate airflow underneath.

Hey HPs have a notoriously bad case design when it comes to heat, pretty much every HP that I have either owned or worked on has this issue. Depending on how your case is designed you will want to figure out where the air intake is on your laptop and were the hot air exhaust is. Most intakes are on the bottom on the laptop and expel from the side and/or back of the laptop. If this is the cause make sure you get a cooling bad that actually blows air up into the case as a lot of them actually suck air away from the case which will do you absolutely no good. You will also want to consider what you are setting your laptop on while you are using it, make sure it is on a hard flat surface, stuff like granite or concrete would be good as it will disperse the heat better. Try to prot the back up a bit to make sure there is plenty of airflow underneath. The other thing you should consider doing is getting some canned air and blowing out the case to make sure it is clear of any dust or debris that would hinder airflow. Finally you there is some software you could take a look at that controls your internal fans like speedfan or Notebook Hardware Control. I have found that at stock setting a lot of manufacturers tend to "underclock" fans to make their laptops quiet, but this means that when your laptop is getting to 80C the fans aren't actually running at full RPM.

Anyway that is all I know you can do without performing major surgery on the laptop or just buying a new one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ig%20boy%20200

I have this and it is pretty epic. It does raise up the laptop a fair amount, about 1.5" but if you're playing at a desk it doesn't really matter. I've never had a problem with it, however the only problem I could see with this fan is the USB power supply cord is somewhat short which might lead to problems on some laptops, wasn't an issue with the 3 laptops I use it with. The nicest thing about this fan is that it will fit any laptop size and is really rigid design.