10+ Year Old Account

Need a laptop to play d3/wow

Hey guys,

I am in need of a laptop to play d3 and some wow(mainly 5mans or messing on an alt) during my 45 min train ride to and from work and my 1 hour lunchbreak monday-friday. (I am not in need of someone to tell me to get a pc as i see alot on laptop threads - I already have a rig you can see here.)

I just want to know if this would be sufficient for smashing around on d3 and if it's a decent price for what I get. It does not have to play on max settings, but med-high would be nice. I know next to nothing about laptops so here it is.

Processor Intel Core i7 Generation 2 i7-2670QM 2.2-3.1Ghz TURBO Processor
    RAM 8GB DDR3 (1333Mhz) system memory
    Hard Drive 1x 500GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+/-RW Reader/DVD Writer Combo
    Screen Size 17.3-inch LED FULL-HD (1920x1080) Glossy
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GTX 560M 2.0GB DDR5 Dedicated Graphics DX11
    Networking 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN, 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN, Bluetooth
    Operating System Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Special Feature Inbuilt WebCam, HD Audio stereo speakers, 1x USB3.0 Port, 3x USB2.0
    Weight 3.2KG

It is currently on sale for AU $1,299.00 and was wondering if it was worth picking up while on sale.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Shruikah; 2012-05-09 at 04:00 AM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    that will easily handle wow/d3. not sure if its the greatest price ever but im not too familiar with AUS pricing. check out MSI, i find them to have the best prices/performance for the dollar in laptops.

and that one you listed will probably play it on max settings, maybe an option or 2 turned down.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

That will handle both easily at high settings, if not max.

The battery life should last long enough too for that 45 minute trip.

Will you be using a 3G modem, or does the train have built-in WiFi?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowdeath9687 View Post
    That will handle both easily at high settings, if not max.

The battery life should last long enough too for that 45 minute trip.

Will you be using a 3G modem, or does the train have built-in WiFi?
    About half the trains in brisbane have free wifi now, aparently they all will by 2013. At work i have a wired connection so thats no problem there, i can also recharge it for the ride home too.

Deleted
    Hi,

In my experience there are very few true gaming laptop manufacturers, i.e. laptops that don't begin to overheat while being very noisy and with apps that seem to halt suddenly. So I would recommend either an Asus G (G53 / G73 / G74) laptop or an Alienware. Because you will use it in the train probably an Asus G is the best solution for you.
    In any case I wouldn't recommend purchasing a no-name laptop except if it is recommended by people having played with it for at least 6 months.

Regarding specs any recent laptop with dedicated graphic card should be able to play d3, wow and SC II without problem. Make sure you get a 32nm sandy bridge Intel processor or even 22nm ivy bridge if you can find one as the smaller process/the newer the generation the less it consumes power i.e. more batteries and less heat.

If you can afford it the best quality of life improvement would be an SSD drive which will dramatically improve your computing experience - much more than the jump from an i3 to an i5 or from an i5 to an i7.

For comparison purposes with my 2 years old Alienware M17xR2, 8GB Ram, ATi 5870 and intel whatever 4 core I can raid for 4 hours in wow, play swtor for hours and so forth @1920x1200 standard quality settings. I can even play in ultra but then the computer is noisier, which is ok when alone and with a headphone. So any recent gaming laptop should do the trick.

I wouldn't recommend it for you though as it is very heavy and better suiter for gamers that don't commute daily. Don't underestimate the weight factor if you will transport it often.
    Last edited by mmoca123b20796; 2012-05-09 at 07:45 AM.

Then you're gravy man. :]

Aussie trains sound way nicer than trains in the US.