Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    Seems so to me. From my playing of the beta, they've merely added extra spells (albeit more than a few) and the unit-spawning is different, but overall they seems very much like the same game. It's also just like Nox and everyone's favorite hero Jack (which Gauntlet copied from Westwood Studios). Anyone care to defend the game against this?
    Pretty much, I remember being 6 or 7 and forcing 10 pence pieces into a Gauntlet arcade machine, I loved it because 4 people could play all at once. The wizard needs food! the wizard is about to die! Mum can I have another 10p!?? QUICKLY!!!! MUUUUUUUUM!!!!!!! HURRY!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya that game is pretty much from where all action RPGS are descended.

now that's a good one! so good! 'gauntlet clone' ahahahahah! GJ

10/10

Aren't all video games essentially a pong clone?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskmourne View Post
    Aren't all video games essentially a pong clone?
    Pong is a Tennis for Two clone.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gauntlet can be considered the prototype of the genre / God father of that type of game really.

In 3 pages the op has not yet posted again. Why you guys do this to yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapster View Post
    Is Warcraft a Dune 2 (first classic RTS ever) clone?

Is Killer Instinct a Mortal Kombat clone?

Is TOR a WoW clone?

The list goes long.
    what he said^
    Lagg dosen't exist. Only bad Internetz...
    Paladins isent OP Blizz just made all ohter classes weaker.

Deleted
    Name a Blizzard game that didn't borrow from other games.

It's their MO, guys.
    Take a working concept and improve on it.
    It's what they do so well, and why they are such a succesful company.
    Blizzard is built on the inspiration of other companies games.

If you are actually shocked by this fact, you don't know a thing about Blizzard.

EDIT: Good point, Ankram.
    Last edited by mmoc7805351bd4; 2012-05-09 at 01:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    Gauntlet can be considered the prototype of the genre / God father of that type of game really.
    I'm pretty sure the guys behind rogue(1980) or dragon slayer(1984) would disagree with you

Deleted
    Humans are obviously a Alteran clone realy universe evolve a species to look exactly like another one damn lazy if you ask me.

We should all stop playing these piece of shit clone games! Developers are just so lazy these days, I don't even know why they tried to improve on games made in the 80's they should be innovating new concepts continuously. When I play an MMO these day's I should be inside it.....like Tron....that came out in the 80's and Jeff Bridges isn't even a real programmer anyway, surely someone should of invented that by now!....prolly would of if they weren't wasting their time on these shitty Rogue clones.

Holy shit you revealed the whole seceret! Oh my, how could we be so blind to not see?

/end of sacrasm

Yes, a thousand times yes.

Not when we live in a world where Street Fighter exists.

Is TOR a WoW clone?
    In large parts, yes.

I'm not calling these games clones to diss them, I really enjoyed all of those (except Killer Instinct because my SNES-owning friend could do Orchid's 28-hit combo) but when so many features and ideas are featured in a previous game the word "clone" fits nicely. Before the internet started the trend of game-genres being named with letters rather than words we used to call FPS games Doom-clones.

You could call D3 a Gauntlet clone but I think the game-play has evolved to put quite a bit of distance between those two. Syndicate or Cannon Fodder would be closer ancestors as both feature the left-click-move, right-click-fire control scheme.

Shouldn't a clone offer most elements on par with the "original"? There are so many differences content amount-wise that a comparison isn't possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had Gauntlet on NES and loved it for many years. I think thats why I loved original Diablo so much, it reminded me of gauntlet upgraded. I remember the first time I played diablo. I begged my mom for a computer for almost a year just to play it. I had to work day and night durring the summer to pay for that first computer. . . all for diablo.

At the time I didnt understand online play until my friend also purchased diablo, since my computer didnt have a modem, I purchased a US-Robotics 14.4 external serial port modem and we played so much that my Mom grounded me from using the computer past 10 pm.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2012-05-09 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woceip View Post
    If I remember correctly, Diablo was considered a Rogue clone. Either way, what's to defend? You know the saying. Good artists borrow, great artists steal.
    This is the truth of it. Rogue came before Gauntlet. The guys who were working on Diablo before Blizzard's involvement claimed inspiration from Rogue. And I agree. what do I care if something I like's inspiration isn't original?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    Seems so to me. From my playing of the beta, they've merely added extra spells (albeit more than a few) and the unit-spawning is different, but overall they seems very much like the same game. It's also just like Nox and everyone's favorite hero Jack (which Gauntlet copied from Westwood Studios). Anyone care to defend the game against this?
    Statements such as theese get so tiresome. Who borrowed what and who cloned who. If we want to keep heading down that road then every single computergame in the word is a copy of a missile simulator from 1947 (since that is aparently the first interactive eletronic game)

Is TOR a WoW clone?

The list goes long.
    Actualy TOR IS a WoW clone.

Diablo is a roguelike.

Read more D1 dev diary.

Yes I have the age advantage on most of you, so anyway D1 started as roguelike, then later they decided to make it realtime. Concept looked good so they sticked to it. The rest is history.

D3 is a rehash of old Diablo for a new generation that never saw the previous ones. Think of it as 2005 MC raiders vs 2011 Firelands raiders lol.

Mod Edit: Infracted
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2012-05-09 at 06:17 PM.