Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Race or Profession?

Let´s say GW2 is released in August and May 2013 some expansion is released, what would be easiest to create, a race or a profession?

Seeing how balancing professions in GW1 was (and still is) a pain for ANET i think they would add new races, for example the kodan or the tengu. Race skills would be easier to balance in pvp and pve compared to profession spells and skills.

What do you think, maybe we`ll see both? Like Tengu and Summoner?

PS. I was so hoping for chronomancer!

Edit: I think most agree that profession would be the easiest to create, now what do you think they will make, profession or race, non of them or both of them?
    Last edited by Exroyal; 2012-05-09 at 11:38 AM.

Deleted
    The easiest to create is definitely a profession. Creating a race would involve making an entire new capital, starting zone, events to fill said starting zone, and ALL the voice acting. A new profession is just the mechanics and some voice acting.

compared to how things were in GW1, they'll probably have an easier job adding a new prof in future xpacs as they don't have the dual-prof to take into account anymore.
    adding a new race would imply giving them a background, new zones to start at, race skills won't be much of an issue as they're usually undertuned versions of existing prof skills.

and just in case they don't add any of those, anet can also implement new weapons and utility/elite skills.

redit: imo, new profession(s) would be much more desirable than a new race, if choice had to be made.
    Last edited by sacrypheyes; 2012-05-09 at 07:48 AM.

The only reason balance was a pain for GW1 is they did not just have to consider the interactions between any abilities the proffession brought to the table but how they'd interact with every skill in the game at once. Quite a few of the nerfs to skills over the years were not because the skill was powerful by itself but when you combined skill X from proff X with skill Y from Proff Y you ended up with WTFgodmode. Admitedly a few skills were OP in their own right or in tandom with the same proffessions skills. However the worst offenders came about when a class had a powerful ability with a nasty downside but a skill form another proffession could eliminate that downside compleatly or allow for 100% uptime. By its very design there are far fewer skill combonations to consider in GW2. All told it will be much easier to balance a new proffession, the hard part will be makeing it feel unique compared to the others.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    Just waiting for the Dervish as a new professions..

Knowing ArenaNet we'll be getting a new profession(s) and a new race(s). Desirable... just a new epic expansion.

Silly me, never thought of the basics of creating a new race. Anyways, remember when they said they were planning to have 4 professions from the original GW series and 4 new ones, but they came up with 5 old ones and 3 new ones? Maybe we´ll see what the supposed to be 4th new one in a future expansion.

---------- Post added 2012-05-09 at 08:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Knowing ArenaNet we'll be getting a new profession(s) and a new race(s). Desirable... just a new epic expansion.
    Yea, they probably will make something real awsome like usual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    remember when they said they were planning to have 4 professions from the original GW series and 4 new ones, but they came up with 5 old ones and 3 new ones? Maybe we´ll see what the supposed to be 4th new one in a future expansion.
    Calling it now, it's the Commando. You know how they said it was an April Fools joke? That was the actual joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Calling it now, it's the Commando. You know how they said it was an April Fools joke? That was the actual joke.
    If i recall correctly, they said that it will be 4 new ones and 4 old ones BEFORE they announced the Elementalist so what does the april fools have to do with this, we all knew that the commando was a joke, but some of us still expected a 4th new one.

The easiest to create is definitely a profession. Creating a race would involve making an entire new capital, starting zone, events to fill said starting zone, and ALL the voice acting. A new profession is just the mechanics and some voice acting.
    this, and how can you even ask such nonsense op?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    this, and how can you even ask such nonsense op?
    I´ve seen on guru and official GW2 forums that people pretty much were expecting a new race, not a new profession and I just wanted to know your opinion about this. If it´s nonsense to you then so be it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Adding a profession is easier, no doubt about that. A race comes with a lot of extra baggage in terms of city, starting area...
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    The only reason balance was a pain for GW1 is they did not just have to consider the interactions between any abilities the proffession brought to the table but how they'd interact with every skill in the game at once. Quite a few of the nerfs to skills over the years were not because the skill was powerful by itself but when you combined skill X from proff X with skill Y from Proff Y you ended up with WTFgodmode. Admitedly a few skills were OP in their own right or in tandom with the same proffessions skills. However the worst offenders came about when a class had a powerful ability with a nasty downside but a skill form another proffession could eliminate that downside compleatly or allow for 100% uptime. By its very design there are far fewer skill combonations to consider in GW2. All told it will be much easier to balance a new proffession, the hard part will be makeing it feel unique compared to the others.
    Hit the nail on the head.
    Implementing a new profession in GW2 will be a hundred times easier than it was in GW1.

I think we'll see both. Plus either a new continent or many new areas added to Tyria as it is now.
    I expect the first expansion to be after around 6 months, but they'll no doubt be content added before that in patches.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    If i recall correctly, they said that it will be 4 new ones and 4 old ones BEFORE they announced the Elementalist so what does the april fools have to do with this, we all knew that the commando was a joke, but some of us still expected a 4th new one.
    Keyword is highlighted.

It was a joke. I made a funny.

Keyword is highlighted.

It was a joke. I made a funny.
    Just my brain who doesn't get funnies today, sorry...so pretty much a new profession is the easiest to make.

What were the classes/professions in Guild Wars 1?
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    What were the classes/professions in Guild Wars 1?
    Core:
    Warrior, Ranger, Monk, Necromancer, Mesmer, Elementalist

Factions campaign:
    Assassin, Ritualist

Nightfall campaign:
    Paragon, Dervish

Deleted
    Fingers crossed for the Chronomancer (although it would probably have to wear heavy armour to balance the professions).

Assuming the guardian is some strange hybrid of a monk + ritualist, the only thing that didn't return (face it, the thief is basically an assassin.) is the nightfall professons. WTB Dervish.

Chloromancer? A nature mage from Rift?? Do you mean Chronomancer? :P