Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    People bickering about RMAH, how do you not realize what having the items serverside means for D2 kind of cheating?
    Another thing I forgot to mention, by that logic there would be no cheating in WoW, or any other MMORPG for that matter, since it is all server side. Speed hacks and dupes still happen there.

Deleted
    Probably just going to save them up, never one when you might need some money.

Well a day of messing around town will more then burn through your $15

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    It's apparently that you we're either not around for D2 or just not around at the beginning or maybe you forgot.

D2 was sold with the online option as well. It was to be this massive limitation to hacking, duping and cheating cause toons that were created for online only use was never stored on your PC. They were blizzard servers only.

In the end, D2 had massive hacks, duped items and bots. Difficulity of the final level will not matter. As it seems that particular level of content will be hard for everyone, no group gets excluded.

However, nightmare will not be and thats where money will be made, as it gets people ready for Inferno.

The hacks, bots and duped items will be there just as they were in D3.

Lathais had it right though. What will blizzard do when it happens cause it will happen. Why? When real money is at stake some people will do anything for it.
    Believe it or not, the hacking in Diablo 2 was due to the OFFLINE portion of the game. In order to dupe items and hacks and stuff, the hackers made private servers because the game client HAD to give players the ability to create a "server" to play single player. With the decision to make D3 online only, players are only given the client, which interacts with the servers and makes hacking and duping much much more difficult and easier to detect.
    Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    To vehemently defend the claim like OP would is to present to these very forums a ludicrous display of ignorance and unawareness so profound and comical that it might actually deserve its own time slot on The History Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
    Believe it or not, the hacking in Diablo 2 was due to the OFFLINE portion of the game. In order to dupe items and hacks and stuff, the hackers made private servers because the game client HAD to give players the ability to create a "server" to play single player. With the decision to make D3 online only, players are only given the client, which interacts with the servers and makes hacking and duping much much more difficult and easier to detect.
    At the time D2 came out there, bandwidth was an issue and you could not transfer the amount of data to have everything server side you do today. For it's time, it was the best security available, just as D3 is. Though I notice you did word it the way you did, so you are saying it is still possible and will happen, which is the point.

There is only one group who will make good money from the RMAH.

Pro-tip: They own it.

i dunno. the extra $180 a year could get stored away for a rainy day or spent frivolously on temporary joy. I'm voting for stored away since all my joy will be coming from playing Diablo 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    $15 is nothing in comparision to some other stupid things I spend my hard earned cash on, so rather let my subscription roll even tho I hardly play.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Takes care of my water bill.

Glad im done with wow, paying $15 a month (for 8 months) for them developing content then charging me for the content they were working on always rubbed me the wrong way.

When I dumped wow I picked up netflix, just the streaming so I'm still up 7 bucks a month and netflix has a lot more new content than wow has in the last 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    playing magic: the gathering, although it costs me way more than 15 a month
    This. And yes, way more. Balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Maes View Post
    When I dumped wow I picked up netflix, just the streaming so I'm still up 7 bucks a month and netflix has a lot more new content than wow has in the last 2 years.
    That's funny cause it's true.

My $15 a month went into the same thing and you're very much right on the content and it costs less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming you don't have any social requirements that negate it, a $15 per month MMORPG is an awesome way to save money. Back when I first really got into and captured by WoW I stopped going out to bars all the time like I used to, wasn't going to the movies so much, etc. For how much entertainment I got from $15, it was a steal. For a good year I was saving at least $300 a month. I don't play an MMORPG anymore because I have real life and social commitments which drastically limit my available play time, so in my mind it would actually waste my money. I also don't find WoW fun anymore and no other MMO's are exciting me.

15+ Year Old Account
    @calmsea: yet you're here. ;D

@OP:
    do with that 180$ whatever you would've done with 180$ coming from somewhere else. 180$ are 180$, just because it's coming from your canceled wow sub, it doesn't make any difference of where you'll going to spent it. maybe even take it to your bank, increasing your savings there. maybe that is even the best you could do. make a 15$ monthly payment to your savings account. seriously, If I'm gonna be the one who's gonna make you do something with that money, take it to your bank. You'll have forgotten about this pretty soon, and in a couple of years, You have quite some money to spent on something bigger than just 180$, but it will feel like a present out of nowhere. It's good because of psychological reasons

Deleted
    Just saving up a little bit more to spend on wife & house.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's apparently that you we're either not around for D2 or just not around at the beginning or maybe you forgot.

D2 was sold with the online option as well.
    Yep, but D2 was much easier to crack since you essentially had a server shipped with your CD to run single-player.
    Plus, network gaming protocols were much less secured back then.

On Topic: Play D3, you may find it cool and it's free once you get the box
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Clearly you underestimate the power of money and greed.

Bots will be rampant in private games or games where bot "companies" (and I use that term loosely) are all running together.

The $AH will be flooded.

The online pay in D2 was suppose to stop bots and hacks and dupes then as well. It did not and now that some real cash is involved, the type of people that are botters, hackers and dupers will work twice as hard. Much harder than blizzard ever will.
    I'm curious what you mean by it'll be "easier" for them to make money because they will be in "private" games. You mean games where noone outside of the bot company will take the loot the bot company is selling?

EDIT: I'm actually really confused. I mean can I play a the entire game solo, and sell any loot I get on the AH for money? I'd assume so, only because it's not like an MMO where you SEE everyone else logged in and if that's the case that is kinda scary considering (for the most part) it's not like there's going to be checks and balances (there's not a massive database being updated for everything you do in game, like there would be for an MMO right?) for things done in EVERY game, no? Blizzard theoretically has no reason to have such backend processes in place outside of the AH being all crazy with items and the like.
    Last edited by alturic; 2012-05-10 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
    Hehe, I sorta ran into that problem when I stopped smoking weed. I used to spend $60 a week on bud, and when I quit to save money I made up for the lack of chemically induced entertainment by going out to the bars.....and spending almost $100 a week in the process.

Epic fail.
    Why would you stop smoking weed?

On topic: I expect that D3 can make you $15+ a month, you can also opt to save those $180 aside and eventually buy a new rig if you need one?

Quote Originally Posted by Teck12 View Post
    Why would you stop smoking weed?

On topic: I expect that D3 can make you $15+ a month, you can also opt to save those $180 aside and eventually buy a new rig if you need one?
    I'm not harping or trolling or trying to get a rise out of you but do people think that an in-game player run RMAH is the next "big thing" in making money? Working for the 2 large satellite providers in the US I work with customers everyday so I know just how dumb people are, but are people really going to spend this massive amount of money like alot of forums and posts seem to make it sound like?

Note: when I say "people" I'm not referring you to Teck12. :P

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I'm not harping or trolling or trying to get a rise out of you but do people think that an in-game player run RMAH is the next "big thing" in making money? Working for the 2 large satellite providers in the US I work with customers everyday so I know just how dumb people are, but are people really going to spend this massive amount of money like alot of forums and posts seem to make it sound like?

Note: when I say "people" I'm not referring you to Teck12. :P
    4 words. Free to play games. Seriously, end of discussion.