Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Post Mortem: SW:TOR

Now that it has been announced that SW:TOR is dying rapidly (ref: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-last-quarter) I would like to discuss here the reasons why it failed.

I don't want this to be a QQ thread, I genuinly want to collect a list of all the most popular reasons for its demise so that this information can be used in the future to predict how future MMOs will do.

Please post your (constructive) opinions here.

Too similar to wow, combat was very very similar.
    The questing was fuckin epic, but it wasn't endgame, which is what keeps most people in the game

Not this sh1t again.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Bit drastic, but okay...

I dunno really, never played it that much, but I'm guessing it's the whole "silly pvp, lack of endgame blabla" stuff you've heard a billion times?
    For me, first I've never really been *that* big a Star Wars fan, the game it self felt really clunky animation-wise, I didn't like that it was the class that controlled the in-game voice instead of the race (which seems like logic to me *shrug*), or how mobs just stood in a group and never really moved or how you could find a place where every npc looked the same, the fact that you couldn't click or interact with npc's made the game seem kinda... I don't know "dead" I guess...
    Uhm, it felt like a standard Bioware game really, you talk to stuff, have 3 options and you all know you end up having sex with whoever or whatever you talk to. Uhm too much focus on leveling and the rp element, which I personally enjoy, but let's be honest, most people playing MMORPGS either want to teabag people in pvp or afk in "uber" gear in various cities to show just how "uber and 1337" they truly are. Sad but true.

All-in-all, had they kept it a singleplayer RPG with a co-op (kinda like ME3 I guess) I *probably* would've played it, I mean I have some fun playing my pureblood inquisitor (even though he sounded like the king of douchebags) and my wierd smurf-chiss agent (the cover and snipe bit was really well made, hats off) So yeah.

Also even though they've lost what 400k it *is* still the second biggest mmo. Also if it truly is going to die - blame EA.
    Last edited by Venziir; 2012-05-09 at 12:28 PM.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As long it has users, it´s not dead. Lets take example of EVE-online, it has only like 400k players, but it´s still alive and kicking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post

Not this sh1t again.
    Just this.Jesus I hate this threads.Do you guys even have to make 'em? I mean create this thread when servers will be closed.Not when they lost subs.

It's not dead.

It wont die.

/close thread

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    It's not dead.

It wont die.

/close thread
    Source for this please.

SWTOR isn't dying and their and practicly their is nothing they could have done to prevent the lose in subs.

At best Bioware could have reduced the lose in subs but anything more is just wisfull thinking.

Majority of the players that left are most likely that played the first month or 2 and decided the game wasn't for them.
    Not enough content as some people would like to point might have influenced little bit but not by much since most people most don't even see the content.
    Also the game was way over-hyped by the players (like every single WoW killer out their), their is no way that the game could have hoped to achieve the hype.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not dying .....
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightswords View Post
    Just this.Jesus I hate this threads.Do you guys even have to make 'em? I mean create this thread when servers will be closed.Not when they lost subs.
    Well swtor fanboys made many posts about how swtor was gonna be the death of wow. Did they have to make those threads?/

No focus on end game at release left people who leveled through the content with nothing to do. That is the main reason people I know stopped playing it.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightswords View Post
    You mean like the billion threads that appear each time WoW lost subs? What goes around comes around.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by thekrik View Post
    Source for this please.
    Source that, because a game loses subs, it's dead. Losing subs =/= dead game.

Quote Originally Posted by thekrik View Post
    Source for this please.
    I'm subbed and i play the game, more than enough source.

Way better that the shithole WoW is atm and has been for the last couple of years.

If a shitty game like wow didnt die yet, this good game, with lot to improve still in the months to come, it wont die either.

10+ Year Old Account
    SW isn't dead. WoW isn't dead. Neither are dead! It's like a party of the Undead MMO AUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Seriously, assuming they have a small amount of business sense, they can maintain SWToR at 1 million subs fairly easily. If they drop below that then they are in trouble due to the simple amount of money they have to pay out for Voice Acting royalties and server maintenance.

Basically, this report means nothing, the next one will be more telling. If they are still above the million mark they are probably going to stay strong. If they are below.... ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE...
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

This topic is like planning a funeral for someone who just got a cold during winter... it's pointless and stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    That is still way too expensive for a CDKey sans Retail box.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

This topic is like planning a funeral for someone who just got a cold during winter... it's pointless and stupid.
    Swtor is seriously going downhill, you gotta be stupid to deny it. I'll be highly surprised if it won't go f2p by early next year.

I can only say my opinion as someone who was very positive about swtor and who has played it from the very beginning until about 3 weeks ago.
    - Overall thematics of star wars and sci fi are inferior to fantasy and more boring.
    - Graphics are very dated.
    - Races are highly boring and cheap. 95% of them are human bodies with ugly alien heads. Just because movies did so, doesn't means game should also. They even all have same animations, emotes and other stuff.
    - Lack of customization options in gear. I have to use augmented gear after 1.2, I can't learn to make some outfits I like with the armor type I need (can't use Slave Girl outfit on my sentinel, because I can't make it augmented and it's light armor). Can't even use all augmented armor, because set bonuses somehow do not transfer, even though they were promised to allow us transfer set bonuses with armoring. Can't use weapons I want, have to stick to lightsabers or some random ugly craftable vibroswords, in short, have to suffer because of augments again.
    - Removing mods/hilts/you name it from the gear is EXTREMELY laughably expensive. I ALREADY HAVE THE FUCKING ITEM, WHY SHOULD I PAY 100k+ TO JUST MOVE MODS FROM IT TO ANOTHER ITEM??! WHY!!???!!
    - Raids are boring because of design, even though well made overall technically. HATED puzzle bosses to the point of gamebreaking.
    - Premades allowed to go versus pugs are also gamebreaking and in the end were the deciding factor in my quitting of the game. Even 3-4 ppl premades can decide whole game and they not only not going to fix this, but they were planning to allow RATED premades to go versus pugs! This is just a joke.
    - Whole idea of rated pvp is not for me, I like to play solo and I prefer to grind top pvp gear, not shake in fear that I may lose next game when I'm so close to getting an upgrade and not see it... well... possibly even ever!
    - Unability to server transfer or recustomize character.
    - Loading times are a murder. Seriously. They're insane. And it's not a hardware problem, it's the engine's.

This is all points that ultimately made me quit SWTOR, even though I quite enjoyed it. Should they fix premades going vs pugs (even after long time in a queue, I don't care, premade should go versus premade ONLY, even if it's 3-4 ppl), load times, gear recustomization issues, especially weapons and give us server transfers, I might one day give it a try again.
    Last edited by VincentWolf; 2012-05-09 at 12:51 PM.