Thread: blue screens.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

blue screens.

i got no clue about pcs.. ive never had probs with this pc before but ive had 4 blue screens in 2 days. (2 yesterday and now 2 today so far).. i got mcafee last week but unistalled it earlier after the 3rd blue screen, but ive just had another.

what causes blue screens, can i sort it or is my pc fucked.. cheers
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

Is there any message during the blue screen and what programs where you using when it happened? That would help a lot already.

Chances are not your entire PC is broken. Maybe a component of it and maybe not even that. Stay calm and give us some more to work with

It would help for us to know the blue screen error codes like STOP: 0x00000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA8008BB7B30, 0xFFFFFA80008BB7E10, 0xFFFFF800031E88B0) or something like that.

Or you can upload the files that are found in C:/Windows/Minidump somewhere for us to look at.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by invader View Post
    what causes blue screens
    Very serious, normally unrecoverable, errors. Kernel Panics will be thrown by Linux and Mac OS for the same reasons.

Typically - these are caused by hardware failures, or drivers causing hardware to fail.

Most common causes:
    RAM Error (Replacement required)
    HDD read/write error (Replacement required)
    Power Supply instabilities (Replacement required)
    Major GPU malfunction (Replacement required - Though it should show other signs of failure as well)
    CPU/GPU instabilities due to heat (Improve ventilation - however the machine should normally just shut itself down with no error)
    CPU/GPU instabilities due to overclocking. (Remove all overclocks - be aware overclocks will go bad over time)
    Misc devices through bad drivers. (Though these tend to be rather predictably reproducible)

We need the supplied error (Stop) code in order to start investigating why your machine had to throw a bluescreen.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2012-05-09 at 01:40 PM.

Deleted
    The most probable cause is hardware failure. Nevertheless, try to reinstall your OS and download new drivers for your components, if the problem persists, it's more than likely to be a malfunctioning hardware. I had the same problem actually with my relatively new PC (9 months), it turned out to be the RAM, so I bought better one, I had help from my motherboard though, thanks to the led and sound signals it has.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    k how do i upload the folder with C:minidump etc// i found the folder. when i click it tho it says windows cannot open this file etc, i dontknow how to upload files either.
    its weird tho, only started doing weird things since i got mcafee last week. ive uninstalled it for the time being. but my pc is doing other weird things i.e.
    when i turn it on the internet connection takes ages so none of the start up programs that require internet load. it also says unidentified network then after 10 mins its normal.. but not only that i keep getting logged out of the few sites i go on when normally i just get logged in auto when i visit etc. wierd. cheers btw

also, my sound is like lagging and distorted when playin wow too, and im gettin real bad fps issues i never used to have...
    ive updated all drivers too. some auto, some ive manually check on relevent sites

one more thing. this last few months ive been having regular phonecalls from people claiming to be "certified microsoft techinicians" telling me theres a problem with my pc and to give em remote assistance lol, ive turnd off remote access in firewall ages ago and i just tell em to fuck off. does anyone else have these weird phone calls????
    Last edited by invader; 2012-05-09 at 01:45 PM.

You will need a tool like BlueScreenView in order to actually look at the crash reports. You can get it from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Never install Mcafee EVER again, it is probably the worst antivirus I have ever seen and somehow they get away with charging people. I would suggest using programs like Avast or AVG (plus they are both free).

Other then that, you have a virus/spyware. Download one of the tools I listed, see it detects anything (which it sounds like it should). Depending on how bad it is or what the virus leaves behind, you might be better off backing everything up and reinstalling your operating system.

If you do decide to reinstall and back everything up before hand, make sure you scan the files with 1 or 2 different anti-viruses to make sure you don't transfer them to the new build.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    k cool cheers. think ill do a reinstall to be sure.. do i just pop the recovery discs in i made when i first set this pc up and turn on?? (never done it before lol)
    also. ive saved all my stuff to disc that i want to keep.. how do i go about saving my wow interface/addons. and will they need redoing when i log on wow or will i have to redo em all. i wont bother saving if i gotta redo em. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by invader View Post
    k cool cheers. think ill do a reinstall to be sure.. do i just pop the recovery discs in i made when i first set this pc up and turn on?? (never done it before lol)
    also. ive saved all my stuff to disc that i want to keep.. how do i go about saving my wow interface/addons. and will they need redoing when i log on wow or will i have to redo em all. i wont bother saving if i gotta redo em. cheers
    You'll have to save some of your files (Cache, WTF and Addons folder) and then they *should* all be back to normal (like how you customized them) when you copy them back in.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    cool thx......