Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PonyCannon View Post
    How do you click in a FPS? Not trying to flame or question your play style but is it actually possible in most FPS's. Isn't the mouse like always connected to the aiming in those games. (potentially stupid question since I don't play anything but MMOs on PC)

I can quickly turn around aim and headshot someone, so therefor I use that fast hand and eye coordication too quickly navigate and click to whatever button on a MMO skill bar I need too.

The reason most players keybind is because they find clicking clumbsy and slow. Well as a FPS gamer Im use to Precision and Speed so for me Putting my mouse cursor over a skill on my skill bar is effortless and faster then keybindings for me.

ive tested this theory when I was in Exodus Guild in WoW which was one of the top rated Guilds in North America back when Kaywarrior was running it...

We used Recount to test Me as a Clicker Disc priest Versus a Keybinder Disc Priest. By the end of 5 Boss fights I matched The Keybinder in not only HPS but Decursing aswell. Now do bare inmind as I said I do use a Razer Naga so I dont completly use just mouse clicking, but about 80-90% of what I do is Clicking.

Hope this clerifies some of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    I can quickly turn around aim and headshot someone, so therefor I use that fast hand and eye coordication too quickly navigate and click to whatever button on a MMO skill bar I need too.

The reason most players keybind is because they find clicking clumbsy and slow. Well as a FPS gamer Im use to Precision and Speed so for me Putting my mouse cursor over a skill on my skill bar is effortless and faster then keybindings for me.

ive tested this theory when I was in Exodus Guild in WoW which was one of the top rated Guilds in North America back when Kaywarrior was running it...

We used Recount to test Me as a Clicker Disc priest Versus a Keybinder Disc Priest. By the end of 5 Boss fights I matched The Keybinder in not only HPS but Decursing aswell. Now do bare inmind as I said I do use a Razer Naga so I dont completly use just mouse clicking, but about 80-90% of what I do is Clicking.

Hope this clerifies some of your questions.
    Yea I just jumped to the conclusion that you were clicking in a hotkey game sort of sense. Fencers cleared that up for me on the last page or so though.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

I use a Deathadder.

Utility skills to ZXC.
    Heal to Q.
    Elite to E. (Strafe to A&D)
    Weapon swap to Mouse 5.
    Dodge to Mouse 4.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

Key 1-5. Weapon skills. 6 Heal. 7-9 utility. 0 Ultimate.
    WASD, moving/dodging.

I didnt play beta yet(Bought gw2 2 days ago)But i be using same as i did in every mmo.

1,2,3,4,5,g,t,x,c,v,z,f and then shift.

10+ Year Old Account
    But why would you do that when that speed and precision can be 100% focused on controlling your player, and using abilities with keybinds frees up that speed and precision to be a true master of mobility? While pushing keybinds that your fingers can quickly an easily reach can be done at the same time?

As an example: In WoW, I can jump in the air, swivel around to face backward, push my Frost Shock keybind, then swivel back around to face forward, without losing any momentum. Just snaring and rooting the person chasing after me.

Just because you used Recount to test yourself against another Disc Priest using keybinds doesn't mean your method is necessarily better, it just means you're already better than that other player, and gear certainly affects it as well.

The only way to make an accurate comparison would be to actually take the time to become familiar with an alternate method and take measurements against the same boss with the same gear and the same group.

I've known dozens of clickers who were skilled beforehand make the effort to switch to keybinding and even buy a Naga, only to actually be even better. It's truly frightening how much you can improve when you believe you're already as good as you can get.

Plain and simple, it requires less brain processing power, even if it's only minute amounts, to push a keybind than it does to use your mouse to click the ability icon. The only reason it seems otherwise is that when you switch to keybinding you are now changing up your muscle memories and having to retrain your mind and body to work with a different input. It's like when you learn to play an entirely new game with different controls.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-12 at 10:54 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Plain and simple, it requires less brain processing power, even if it's only minute amounts, to push a keybind than it does to use your mouse to click the ability icon. The only reason it seems otherwise is that when you switch to keybinding you are now changing up your muscle memories and having to retrain your mind and body to work with a different input. It's like when you learn to play an entirely new game with different controls.
    Also mechanical. The speed at which a cursor moves across the screen is a longer delay than tapping a keybind.

A clicker is only superior to a poor keybinder. A skilled keybinder will always beat out a clicker. I didn't wanna get in a huge pointless argument w/ Hellspawnxxx over it earlier. I would agree with most of Drake's post here. A bit like arguing FOV or controller vs KBM- these are not matters of opinion which are superior.

What players often mean to say is they are more comfortable with a certain setup w/ little to no adversity. Which is fine. Objectively we can say which methods of control and information processing are superior in an absolute sense. Clicking ain't one of them.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-12 at 11:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    Huh.... don't you use your mouse?
    Only for camera movement. Though I bind my mouse heavily in other games when I play a healer.

However, this is all about to change now I have my naga hex and have set my G13 up.

1-12 (Naga user)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Also mechanical. The speed at which a cursor moves across the screen is a longer delay than tapping a keybind.

A clicker is only superior to a poor keybinder. A skilled keybinder will always beat out a clicker. I didn't wanna get in a huge pointless argument w/ Hellspawnxxx over it earlier. I would agree with most of Drake's post here. A bit like arguing FOV or controller vs KBM- these are not matters of opinion which are superior.

What players often mean to say is they are more comfortable with a certain setup w/ little to no adversity. Which is fine. Objectively we can say which methods of control and information processing are superior in an absolute sense. Clicking ain't one of them.
    Yeah, I agree - I don't buy that moving your mouse from an arbitrary point on the screen to the skill bar is as quick or fluid as simply pressing the appropriate key.

But - I do buy that some people are more comfortable with clicking and for them personally it's the best option.

I really wish GW2 supported modifier keys. Binding shift or control to a side button on the mouse would be perfect for this game..

This is not something you should argue over with someone. Its not always about what is the scientifically best configuration of keys. Sometimes its a persons own preference, usually based on something he has experience with using. And that preference will evolve, in a way. As at some point that person will realize his config is holding him back, and he will addapt.

I remember i long ago used the arrow keys to move in an fps. Till i switched to aswd. In WoW i clicked a lot when i first started playing. Then came keybinds. Then i got a mouse with side buttons and i switched attacks to that. Then i started using Alt/Shift/Ctrl-modifiers.

Its best to let someone learn for himself, rather then trying to throw him into the deep and expect him not to drown. Let him discover it for himself. You wont get him to change everything to keybinds, he will suck horribly at it for a while because he is not used to it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    I really wish GW2 supported modifier keys. Binding shift or control to a side button on the mouse would be perfect for this game..
    It's been confirmed that they will in a future build. \o/
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    It's been confirmed that they will in a future build. \o/
    Oh thank god. If that's the case, I can move the profession mechanic buttons from Z through V to Shift-1 through Shift-4.

And I could probably bind weapon-swap to Shift-5 instead of having it on Mouse 5 - it's just a little bit awkward for me and my thick fingers to reach. :S

I can probably keep dodge on Mouse 4 though, since that's plenty easy to reach.

---------- Post added 2012-05-13 at 06:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    This is not something you should argue over with someone. Its not always about what is the scientifically best configuration of keys. Sometimes its a persons own preference, usually based on something he has experience with using. And that preference will evolve, in a way. As at some point that person will realize his config is holding him back, and he will addapt.

I remember i long ago used the arrow keys to move in an fps. Till i switched to aswd. In WoW i clicked a lot when i first started playing. Then came keybinds. Then i got a mouse with side buttons and i switched attacks to that. Then i started using Alt/Shift/Ctrl-modifiers.

Its best to let someone learn for himself, rather then trying to throw him into the deep and expect him not to drown. Let him discover it for himself. You wont get him to change everything to keybinds, he will suck horribly at it for a while because he is not used to it at all.
    Nobody is saying that a person's own preferences don't matter. It's just objectively inarguable that keybinding your skills is vastly superior to clicking them, at both a mental processing level, and a mechanical level.

I know a lot of people who steadfastly believe that clicking is better, if not just as good, simply because they tried keybinding for like 5 minutes and noticed they did worse, when they simply need to stomach it a bit and try to get familiar with the vastly different input method.

I have to re-learn every time I change up my keybinds in a dramatic way, so what I end up doing is being very stubborn about how I organize my binds - that doesn't mean I don't force myself to try a new set-up now and then!
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-14 at 12:16 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

This is not something you should argue over with someone.
    Good thing I didn't.

Movement Dodge
    E (forward) mouse 4
    S (back) Pet skill
    D (strafe left) Q
    F (strafe right)
    Weapon skills Weapon swap
    A (1) mouse 8
    W (2) Pet swap
    R (3) mouse 6
    T (4) Pet attack
    G (5) mouse 7
    Heal Pet stance
    mouse 5 mouse 3
    Utility skills Interact
    V (7) B
    C (8) Autorun
    X (9) TAB
    Elite skill Reverse Camera
    Z left ALT
    Target Push-to-talk
    4 right ALT
    Assist Swim up/Jump
    5 SPACE
    Swim down
    left SHIFT

I don't remember.
    I think it was something along these lines.. I only played a necro and warrior, so only needed to bind F1.

1-5 - weapon skills
    Q - heal
    E - F1
    R,F,C - Utilities
    Shift - Elite
    Mouse 5 - dodge
    Mouse 4 - I think I used for autorun, out of old habits and not needing more binds for F2-4.

Good thing I didn't.
    Didnt mean to imply that you did. Looking back on that sentence, i shouldve put it in another way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive already determined what my leveling / endgame build will be so ive designed my keybindings accordingly for PvE / PvP.
    never set your builds in stone

ever
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    i think with modifiers and (hopefully!) mouse wheel, it will look something like this for me:

W = forward
    S = backward
    A = strafe left
    D = strafe right
    shift(and/or alt) + Q = turn left
    shift(and/or alt) + E = turn right

mouse 4 = dodge
    mouse 5 = 4-slot
    shift + mouse 4 = heal
    shift + mouse 5 = 5-slot

E = interaction/rezz/loot
    R = 1-slot
    T = 2-slot
    F = 3-slot
    G = utility 1
    C = utility 2
    V = utility 3
    Q = weapon swap

5 = elite
    4 = profession 1

i like having turn somewhere available (on my left hand) just so i can control movement of my character with each hand individually, although mostly for non-combat situations. mouse 4 and 5, including mods, are by far my favorite binds for stuff that i need to a) spam a lot b) use fast (like an interrupt in wow) or c) use while running and facing into any direction (which should be possible with all binds, but it's especially important and convinient for skills like the crippling dagger throw of thieves, which is on 4-slot).
    as for profession 2-3, i'll most likely use shift + mouse wheel up and down and/or shift + E-F.

i tend to screw around with keybinds a lot though and change them after playing a bit, until they feel right.

i'd also love to have an option to bind the slots of different weapons to different keys. for example i'd like to have the dagger throw (4-slot) of off-hand dagger and the shadowstep arrow (5-slot) of shortbow both on mouse-5.