Thread: Huttese?

Huttese?

Are there Star Wars geeks who can speak Huttese and have it actually mean something?

Is it codified liked Klingon?

I've never seen a complete, unified Hutt language kit anywhere like I have seen for Klingonese. Truth be told, I don't think any of the Star Wars languages are codified outside Lucas' head - what snippets of alien language is present in either KotOR or TOR are the same few lines, per species, looped to simulate full dialogue; hell, in ToR, most of it's the exact same lines, regardless of species, with slight changes to pitch or tone. Shoulda just made it all in Basic and be done with it.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

There are several established words and phrases and that is it. There are no grammatical guidelines that are defined such as Tolkien languages and Klingonese.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    I've never seen a complete, unified Hutt language kit anywhere like I have seen for Klingonese. Truth be told, I don't think any of the Star Wars languages are codified outside Lucas' head - what snippets of alien language is present in either KotOR or TOR are the same few lines, per species, looped to simulate full dialogue; hell, in ToR, most of it's the exact same lines, regardless of species, with slight changes to pitch or tone. Shoulda just made it all in Basic and be done with it.
    I have seen a few things for mandalorian a while back. Couldn't tell you where but there were many people claiming it could be learned as an actual language.

This has some phrases in huttese, among many others. I think the section on Ewok is pretty extensive, if I recall right:

Star Wars Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Sabitharan View Post
    I have seen a few things for mandalorian a while back. Couldn't tell you where but there were many people claiming it could be learned as an actual language.
    ...Sadly, I had actually forgotten about that - used to be a fair hand at it, some four years ago, now - as the topic was aimed at Huttese and I only immediately thought of other languages commonly "spoken;" Mando'a is only heard in two songs written for Star Wars: Republic Commando. It was being developed into a full-fledged language similar to Tolkein's Sindarin (I think that was the specific one) by Karen Traviss, as she was the only author worth a damn that could write proper Mandalorians; due to dissenting opinions with Lucas Licensing, though, she had her book contract cut short and was never able to complete it.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

I have a buddy who GMed a Star Wars rpg game, one of the npcs was a Hutt and my friend spoke in Huttese, that was impressive.