Will damage type matter?

Just wondering if the damage type will truly matter in end-game. For example, the demon hunter has many different dmg type abilities such as: arcane, poison, fire, lightning and physical. Is it just for eye candy or do you think certain mobs will be less resilient to certain damage type (enough to matter)?
    Last edited by Zathan666; 2012-05-10 at 03:06 AM.

just like D2 certain mobs will probably resistance or immunity to certain types of damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    just like D2 certain mobs will probably resistance or immunity to certain types of damage.
    Is this something you witnessed in the Beta? Originally damage type mattered in WoW (don't take a fire mage to Molten Core) but Blizzard moved away from this model and nowadays it doesn't make much of a difference anymore. I'd like to know if Blizzard will change D3's model to be more similar to present day WoW in that aspect too.

they've stated that no monsters will be "immune" to any magic types. there'll just be resistances.

OT: damage type won't matter. it may just slow you down every once in a while if your build is focused on one type of damage source.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    Is this something you witnessed in the Beta? Originally damage type mattered in WoW (don't take a fire mage to Molten Core) but Blizzard moved away from this model and nowadays it doesn't make much of a difference anymore. I'd like to know if Blizzard will change D3's model to be more similar to present day WoW in that aspect too.
    Well, wouldn't be able to experience in beta seeing as it would only be in higher diffuculty levels if it were there. However, according to the post below your apparently there are no immunities, only resistances.

No immunities is a good thing, in D2 it made a lot of classes/specs useless in a large part of the game until the infinity runeword was brought in, which came much later in the games life and is extremely expensive (so without buying it/runes, running a bot or being involved with people who do you had little chance of ever aquiring it).

Hard to really say any further than that since nobody has played past the first 13 levels, and the game will likely change a lot down the road, Diablo 2 certaintly did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    No immunities is a good thing, in D2 it made a lot of classes/specs useless in a large part of the game until the infinity runeword was brought in, which came much later in the games life and is extremely expensive (so without buying it/runes, running a bot or being involved with people who do you had little chance of ever aquiring it).

Hard to really say any further than that since nobody has played past the first 13 levels, and the game will likely change a lot down the road, Diablo 2 certaintly did.
    True, but in D3 you don't have to have your entire spec build around 1-2 damage types AND you can change your abilities at any time, so they already solved the problem via other methods. Then they removed them too apparently. Anyone have a source for that as well?

I wonder how additional damage on weapons work on skills.
    As I understood, if skill description just says "x% of weapon damage", then both physical and extra damage will be added to skill, but is skills is " x% of weapon damage as fire", then it's just fire damage, no matter what extra damage type is on weapon?

Would there be modifiers like +20% fire/poison/cold damage? And would they affect all damage of that type - skills, additional damage on weapons, damage from gems and so on?

Quote Originally Posted by Zathan666 View Post
    Just wondering if the damage type will truly matter in end-game. For example, the demon hunter has many different dmg type abilities such as: arcane, poison, fire and lightning. Is it just for eye candy or do you think certain mobs will be less resilient to certain damage type (enough to matter)?
    Yes it matters. Some mobs have higher resistance to one damage type. In addition to that, cold dmg snares, holy damage removes corpses which prevent being resurrected. I also believe cold and fire have a chance to shatter/explode them on death. That would also prevent being able to res.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-05-10 at 01:37 AM.

I actually did stumble upon a frost-resistant elite mob throughout my Beta playthroughs. On my Wizard. When all I had was the basic projectile and Ray of Frost.

Or I could have just been drunk. I don't really know at this point.
    Last edited by Veyne; 2012-05-10 at 01:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

True, but in D3 you don't have to have your entire spec build around 1-2 damage types AND you can change your abilities at any time, so they already solved the problem via other methods. Then they removed them too apparently. Anyone have a source for that as well?
    I know there's a blue post somewhere but i can't find it. to tie you over i did find this video. you have to skip to about 4:30 where someone asks a question about resistances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXYA5GPjq_A&NR=1

There are no immunities but their Monster Affixes previews and the iPad Diablo Guide for the Affixes show that resistances do still exist.
    If you fight fire affixed mobs they will not only burn you but also take less fire damage.

I would assume this is not the only place resistances are implemented but it could be.

10+ Year Old Account
    There won't be immunities but monsters with high resistances there sure will be, so more than one damage type is probably a good idea.

Deleted
    They only thing i've noticed is that certain passives procs, be using certain kinds of damage, like Arcane.