installing GTX 260, need help

I recently bought a GTX 260 video card, However when I installed it and started computer it makes incredibly loud screeching noise, It is borderline painful to hear it. I downloaded drivers to no difference.

Additionally my computer was still running the built in Nvidia 7025
    [example of performance(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BzrdD6zwfg)]

So I need to know

1. How can I fix the screeching noise

2. How can I set my computer to use the 260

3. I've heard that the monitor needs to be plugged in to the video card. However the slots on the video card are too large for my monitor to connect to, do I need a different kind of cord, If so where can I get it

Thanks for any help

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warlocked View Post
    1. How can I fix the screeching noise

2. How can I set my computer to use the 260

3. I've heard that the monitor needs to be plugged in to the video card. However the slots on the video card are too large for my monitor to connect to, do I need a different kind of cord, If so where can I get it

Thanks for any help
    Have you confirmed what exactly is causing the screeching noise? The fan? Also, 'slots on the video card are too large' - I presume you have a VGA cable and your GPU is with DVI?

Which brand is your card? Most of the time they come with a VGA-DVI adapter. All you'd have to do is attach it to your monitor cable and then plug it into the card. Alternative, and ideally, you could purchase a DVI cable (the type that fits into the "larger slots") if your monitor supports it, which any model made in the last few years should.

Hello,

I also got hold of a GTX260 with the same screeching noise. In most cases, the problem is not the fan, but "coil noise". Some models of nVidia cards are prone to coil noise, look it up on the web (even the newish GTX560Ti is prone to this). You can be sure that it's coil noise by opening the case while computer is running and stop the fan by putting your finger in the middle of the fan until it stops. If the fan is stopped and it's still screeching, it's coil noise.

My card only makes the noise when it renders something 3D, and it changes the pitch of the noise depending on the objects rendered. I read that some cards make this noise while idle. I actually lived with the noise for one year, and then i decided i need a card that doesn't make that sound. There were too possibilities: i fix mine, or i broke it while trying to fix it, so i've got a reason to buy a new one ^^

And now the interesting part: i solved my problem by modding the video card. There is a guide how to do this, basically, you remove the cooling assembly from the board, and put several layers of nail polish over the condensers, and other bulking parts that might make the sound. It is very easy to do. If you are uncomfortable with this, ask a friend who is comfortable with disassembling computers to help you. I applied my layers of nail polish over the course of one day. A layer every one hour, about 6-7 time, in the end i ended up with a healthy, thick coat of nail polish over the components that could screech.
    The possibility to break the card is very small, just make sure you don't rip components of it

Link to the guide:
    http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008...280-squealing/
    Last edited by cioclu; 2012-05-10 at 09:55 AM.