Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

'Bride cries rape on her wedding night'

Rape is still rape. Even on the wedding night, even if you're married.

I'm pretty sure that this is the UK equivalent of "The Enquirer" or "The Globe" in the U.S. It's a tabloid, or at least it seems like it from browsing over some of their article titles.
    "Every day I wake up, log in and look at the nine other class icons in the character creation screen. Then I burst into laughter, create a portal into a distant realm, do a motherfucking double backflip through that portal while slinging pastries and blasts of PURE COSMIC ENERGY everywhere, respeccing into frost midair and deep freezing two gnomes before landing on my feet. In my wake only disintegrated corpses, strudel crumbs and adorable turtles are found."
    By a forum member "Membrane"

this sounds kind of... sensational. did the paper also have a picture of clouds forming the face of satan on the front page?

Very hard to determine who is telling the truth, and as very tempting it is I don't think you should dismiss her claim because it was on her wedding night.

Yeah, after reading that article it sounds like rape to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by the actual article
    "On that day they married in the morning and in the bride's words 'we christened our wedding vows straight away because we wanted to have sex before we got too drunk, so we had consensual sex after the marriage'.
    "They then had a party in which they were accompanied by a large group of friends and they went on the mother and father of all pub crawls.
    "She became very, very drunk and recalls dancing on a bar doing karaoke at one pub and seeing the sun come up as they walked home.
    "She asked him to help her out of her shoes and he became amorous. She told him to stop because she was too drunk but he continued. She was drifting in and out of consciousness and told him to get off her.
    "He took no notice and had sex with her against her will."
    Mr Crabb said the other alleged rapes occurred later in the marriage, including one when she was very heavily pregnant with her third child and another shortly after the birth by caesarean section.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadisabeast View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this is the UK equivalent of "The Enquirer" or "The Globe" in the U.S. It's a tabloid, or at least it seems like it from browsing over some of their article titles.
    The Telegraph is classed as one of the more 'upmarket' dailies.

OT - rape is rape as someone else stated, because they were married makes no difference.
    Last edited by Saeran; 2012-05-10 at 06:23 PM.

She got married and a few years wants to leave him, so now she calls rape to try and get the upper hand.

It isn't really a tabloid, but it does have the more sensational stories. We have it too in the Netherlands "Telegraaf".
    A rape is a rape, doesn't matter if you're married or not.

Deleted
    According the the almighty Wikipedia it is not.

Which leads me to believe that there is at least some truth to those allegations, in which case the moral of the story is that you probably shouldn't sleep with a guy 12 years older than you when you're 16, let alone have his babies. Or that maybe you should file for divorce or at least tell someone after the first, or second rape incidents - not wait for 5 of them and multiple children. Its just one of those overall /facepalm stories that makes you feel sorry for a person but at the same time they brought a lot of it in on themselves.

Also when I say there is "some truth" to those allegations I am leaving some room open for debate. There is rape and then there is rape if you know what I mean. Angry sex and make-up sex aren't that uncommon in a marriage, yes what the guy did can be called wrong (if she's telling the truth of course) but how much of it is truth and how much did she exaggerate? If the court finds her to be telling the truth then obviously the guy committed a crime and should pay accordingly.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2012-05-10 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Rape is still rape. Even on the wedding night, even if you're married.
    I second this. Many men still seem to think they own their wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Deleted
    so coz you are married you the woman has to agree to sex as soon as the man askes for it?

Instead of focusing on the 'is non-consenting sex with your wife rape?' because obviously everyone agrees that rape is rape, why don't you focus on the 'who do you think is telling the truth'?

10+ Year Old Account
    So assuming she is telling the truth, it is rape.

It doesn't matter the circumstances -- if a woman (or man for that matter) says no, then you stop. If you do not stop, it's rape. Doesn't matter if you are married, lovers, friends, strangers, or whatever. No means no.

EDIT -- if the question is whether or not she is telling the truth, there is absolutely no way for us to know that...so this whole thread is kinda pointless unless someone is going to actually claim that a husband can have forced sex with his wife when she says no and it isn't rape.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

she said no, that's all that is required.

to OP,
    I don't know why - but your avatar seems perfect for this thread.

Deleted
    No the Telegraph is a pretty 'upmarket' paper and is well respected. Also reading the article the rape didn't just happen on their wedding night, but obviously that make the most 'interesting' headline.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    So assuming she is telling the truth, it is rape.

It doesn't matter the circumstances -- if a woman (or man for that matter) says no, then you stop. If you do not stop, it's rape. Doesn't matter if you are married, lovers, friends, strangers, or whatever. No means no.

EDIT -- if the question is whether or not she is telling the truth, there is absolutely no way for us to know that...so this whole thread is kinda pointless unless someone is going to actually claim that a husband can have forced sex with his wife when she says no and it isn't rape.
    Aye, I agree it's impossible to know, but people can have a view still. It just seems a bit pointless everyone replying with exactly the same answer because rape is defined as being sex that isn't consented. There is no view on that, it is fact... so what are people replying to if just to say the definition of rape? :P

Deleted
    The Telegraph is a broadsheet, it isn't tabloid.