Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Prot PvP in RBGs: Defending Nodes vs Stealth Caps

I've been getting into RBGs as Prot FC (not like I have any other spec choice atm :/) this season to attempt to push rating, and have faced some issues with defending nodes. I'm sure there are more experienced prot pvp defenders who can enlighten me on this. I'm currently ~2k CR and I feel like I should know this stuff already but I'm something of a noob when it comes to prot pvp. I'd much rather go arms but who am I kidding.

Here's what I try to do for each stealth class:

- Rogue: Berserker Rage the Sap, Trinket/EMFH the Blind, then Charge immediately.. then what?
    - Feral/Boomy: Eat the Maim (assume that its short considering no combo points), Trinket/EMFH the Cyclone, Charge to be in range for Thunderclap spam in case Entangling Roots
    - Mage: Pops out of invis and deep freezes, I Heroic Throw (silence specced) the Polymorph, then when he pops a Ring of Frost and starts casting Poly inside it, Spell Reflect on time? I'm not 100% on what to do here, if I charge I'm frozen, if I don't get SR off I'm polyed..
    - 2 Stealthy Combo - Hold on as long as possible and pray for teammates show up on time..

In general I have issues with being rage starved in these scenarios - I could handle these much easier if I had enough rage to pop an Intimidating Shout or a Concussion Blow, but I rarely have enough rage for that.

Any tips on how I can node defend better vs these stealth classes? Thanks in advance.

Against a mage I would usually trinket the RoF in case i was an idiot and ran into it (or HAD to), you can usually lock down a mage pretty well besides RoF (as prot), and hopefully a team mate shows up by then. Disrupting the first poly i usually found to put me on the upper hand.

Against rogues your tactic is fine, once you get the charge off rend them and just stun them, but usually once you trinket their blind they vanish and will try to ninja cap again, but this time you will have no trinket, by thetime that happens a team mate should be there backing you up.

I cannot comment on druids, i have never had a druid try and ninja cap, but charge and intercept are good for stopping cyclones.

As i got higher (currently 2.2k CR, stopped there because FCing is boring shit and i wanted all my t2 stufft) i usually found they would send 2 people, and thats when shit hits the fan, you need to call it out ASAP and use whatever you can to hold off the node, usually you dont last very long and the CC chain from 2 people will just make you lose your node inevitably.

If youre lacking rage just pop a spell reflect, you should get 40 or 60 rage, depending on how youre specced, plus 25 (is it 25) from charge (blitz) should give you a big burst of rage.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the pointers.. On mages, now that I think about it.. the time I failed defending when a mage was trying to ninja my trinket was down.. so I shouldnt've been solo defending in the first place.. and yes I forgot the point about rending the rogue - if he vanishes again you're SOL. SR for rage is a good point, but that's if the opponent is stupid enough to not juke.

And I agree prot rbging is the most boring shit ever.. with periods of panic mixed in - not my idea of fun either. I'm just there for the achieves really.

15+ Year Old Account
    You don't have to trinket the blind or rage the sap if you're far away enough from the flag because they both have a short range.

If you're against a feral or a mage just be sure to be close enough to use your throwing weapon (not heroic throw).
    The only things a mage has that allows him to cap is either a non-DR'd sheep or a non-DR'd RoF. You can trinket the first, your team will
    need to help you ASAP while you avoid the second full CC for as long as you can.

A solo druid should not be able to cap the flag when you're there, they do not have any CC that lasts long enough to pull it off.

For rogue. Stand 40yds from the node. Wait out the sap, as soon as it ends leap onto the rogue who should still have 1-2secs left on the cap, since he had to close a 30yd gap to get there, and likely bombed to prevent getting charged or anything else. Trinket the blind, try and get a rend on him. If he vanishes, sap will prob still be on DR, so no worries. B-rage the next full sap and throw/charge him.

Just remember to call out as soon as you know hes there, because he will beat you eventually, but you can hold out more than long enough for one person to come and help.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    For rogue. Stand 40yds from the node. Wait out the sap, as soon as it ends leap onto the rogue who should still have 1-2secs left on the cap, since he had to close a 30yd gap to get there, and likely bombed to prevent getting charged or anything else.
    Bomb will fade before the cap anyway since it only lasts for 5 seconds.

Stopping a ninja cap is nothing like killing a person. You got the right idea but are missing the point in being worried about whats next. Next should be you telling vent or skype that you had to use your trinket and cant solo D for 2 minutes.

You only need to counter and stall. "What next" part are meaningless, your only job is to stall and call for help.

On a mage, the trick is to apply charge a couple seconds after ring goes down. Even though itll freeze you on contact for 5, your stun off the charge will restart the 8 sec cap channel. The real problem is the rogue who saps as ring just falls off as you will just hit the 6 sec combat flag timer.
    Last edited by God8010; 2012-05-11 at 12:36 PM.