Poll: Are cross-server zones a good idea?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

The poll: Cross-server zones

Recently blizzard announced that they will be introducing cross-server zones into the beta, and then hopefully live for MoP. I personally think it sounds amazing and it sounds like many others like the idea too.

I think it's a good idea to poll the (mmo-champ)community because well... I just like polls. and it's interesting to see where people stand on this idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a great concept to bring some life back into lower-level areas. I personally love leveling alts and just keeping busy when I have nothing better to do. So having some more people in and out of a zone will be nice to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vicarious ink View Post
    It's a great concept to bring some life back into lower-level areas. I personally love leveling alts and just keeping busy when I have nothing better to do. So having some more people in and out of a zone will be nice to see.
    And not only that, don´t you see how great could these be for World PVP? Imagine the possibility of these? think about a organized PVP event by the players on X zone.... O.O THESE MAY BE GREAT!!!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    so whats the point of this exactly?
    Do be able to see more people running around while you are lvling?

I can see how this would be appealing if the content in any of these zones required a group, but honestly all this means to me is more people to fight over quest mobs / spawns / nodes for. Yay?
    Honestly, I read this as "You will now see more people as you quest by yourself. Grats. Now good luck with that herbalism."

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a step forward in the right direction. It opens up lots of new possibility for the future.

Excellent idea to breath life into dead lower level zones. Hopefully just one more step of many towards breaking down server boundaries.

It was a good idea when star wars did it a couple months ago, and still is.

See, good things can come from flop games. Some servers you can go days without seeing another person, and as I can usually solo group quests (and finding ways to do them on various classes is part of the fun), there are just some that require an extra person.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

It's an amazing idea with incredible potential, I'm surprised we didn't see this coming and that there were no hints or announcing from blizzard at all.
    Cairne wanted to thank him again, to offer encouragement, praise for a task so successfully completed. For being able to bear such burdens. But Saurfang was an orc, not a blood elf, and lavish compliments and effusion would not be welcomed or wanted.

it''ll make it feel like an MMO at low levels again, the only people who are crying about the change are most likely gold farmers who farm ore etc. on low population servers.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is the wizard head of MoP. This thing not only eliminates the need to merge servers, but also could end servers as we know them in the future.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I find this is a very good idea! It will be nice to see some live coming back to leveling zones!

... That said, there IS something that worries me, and that is why I voted "We will see..". I currently play on a PVP server, not because i´m a huge fan of World PVP, but because the best raiding guilds for my language all popped-up on the same server, and that is a PVP server for a chance. Not because these guilds are particularly fond of PVP, but there is a myth that the best servers for PVE are actually PVP.

There are times where all I really wanna do is quest, without anybody bothering me. I fear that, making zones crowded again, I might be forced into PVP when I don´t feel like it. There ARE times where I do enjoy the World PVP, but if I were on a PVE server, I could just turn on or off the PVP flag at my leisure.

I know people will say "then go to a PVE server and shutup", but the other PVE servers with my language are pretyy crappy on PVE progression... That said, if it really gets annoying to quest with the other faction keilling me when I don´t want to get bothered, that might be what I´ll do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    so whats the point of this exactly?
    Do be able to see more people running around while you are lvling?
    its a way of putting the MMO back in the MMORPG:P it doesent feel like an MMO when u dont see a soul lvling up to 85
    this is a very good update imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    I find this is a very good idea! It will be nice to see some live coming back to leveling zones!

... That said, there IS something that worries me, and that is why I voted "We will see..". I currently play on a PVP server, not because i´m a huge fan of World PVP, but because the best raiding guilds for my language all popped-up on the same server, and that is a PVP server for a chance. Not because these guilds are particularly fond of PVP, but there is a myth that the best servers for PVE are actually PVP.

There are times where all I really wanna do is quest, without anybody bothering me. I fear that, making zones crowded again, I might be forced into PVP when I don´t feel like it. There ARE times where I do enjoy the World PVP, but if I were on a PVE server, I could just turn on or off the PVP flag at my leisure.

I know people will say "then go to a PVE server and shutup", but the other PVE servers with my language are pretyy crappy on PVE progression... That said, if it really gets annoying to quest with the other faction keilling me when I don´t want to get bothered, that might be what I´ll do.
    Well... sorry to say, but yeah it will happen, it will be much easier to be in PVP even when you don´t want, and yeah i understand you, most of the best PVE guilds are in PVP servers but well, Nothing can be perfect, you will have good PVP and PVE... you like it or not :P

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how I feel about it right now, I've been trying to avoid correct-level people on my 85 when I go back & do a zone for an achievement; don't want to kill everything & leave them without quest mobs, but I do like the idea for being able to do group quests at the correct level again. And then there's the sharing of herb/ore nodes.

Sorry for not posting this in the MoP forum!! I'm glad someone moved it.

I personally love leveling alts but it does get quite boring being the ONLY person in an entire zone sometimes. I miss the days of leveling and always encountering people in the same zone, it makes the game feel more... realistic? I'm not really sure what the word is that I am looking for, but it's just more fun.

Positives:
    Seeing more people in a zone
    Ability to group up with similar level people
    World PvP
    More people to RP with

Negatives:
    More people means more fighting over spawns and gathering nodes
    More people to annoy the hell out of you by stealing spawns you need or stealing your nodes while you're fighting a nearby mob
    More chances to see bots not only from your own server but from other servers
    Ability to group up for what? There's no more group quests and scenarios are queued for
    World PvP disrupting those that just want to quest
    More people to disrupt your RP by not playing by the RP rules

I'm honestly on the fence with this. Guess we'll see how well this works out, but I'm not holding my breath. Things implemented with good intentions have a tendency of not working as intended due to bad apples. Look at LFR and LFD with all the griefing other players do to each other. I've seen enough jerks on my server alone. Now with cross realm zones ... now there's an even wider group for these jerks to grief others.

Cross-realm zones is obviously a design feature intended to chase subscriptions and not actually enhance gameplay. Like almost every single feature in the game for a long time coming.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SunbakedDuck View Post
    its a way of putting the MMO back in the MMORPG:P it doesent feel like an MMO when u dont see a soul lvling up to 85
    this is a very good update imo.
    meh, i really did not realize this was even an issue, i mean you level up by yourself anyways

Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    Cross-realm zones is obviously a design feature intended to chase subscriptions and not actually enhance gameplay. Like almost every single feature in the game for a long time coming.
    lol are you serious? how does having more people to interact with while you level NOT enhance gameplay? it makes leveling an MMORPG again instead of a single player rpg. Blizzard doesn't need to chase subs either as it's sub base is steady.