Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semetrik22 View Post
    i just spent 12hours+ watching the star wars series for the first time.. was amazing lol. maybe i'll watch lord of the rings for the first time next week.

Tell me one good film that's based on a book that does "live up" to the books. It's simply not possible because if you want to show everything that's in the books in the film, you'd end up with a 40-hour film.

Don't get why people always have to compare films to books. Just look at the books as the books, and the films as the films. They are both great in their own way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well people who compare books to films will probably always choose books. I mean they inspire your imagination, you create your own picture of the characters and the scenery, something personal and only to yourself. A film pretty much shows you 'this girl looks like this' so there is no roomfor imagining what they could look like. I'm not very good at making points, but I hope people understand what I'm trying to get at.

Me, I've not read the LOTR books, because I never read many books when I was younger, it never became a 'hobby' or 'past time' for me to do when I want to do something. I've tried reading lately countless times but I just don't have the attention span, I start to wonder off in my mind, and then realise the paragraph I just read I didn't really take in, and need to read it again. I always regret not getting into books more, everyone else in my family reads and reminds me a lot how much I'm missing.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-05-12 at 02:05 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    LOTR has, easily, the best music of any other movie I have ever seen. It's wonderful, my favorite probably being the song they play in the background in the shire, it's called Concerning Hobbits. It just makes me want to go on an epic adventure everytime I hear it, wtb fantasy world irl

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottie4u View Post
    I finally took the time out to watch the LoTR movie trilogy. I have never felt so happy, sad, and amazed by a film. Thank you Mr. Tolkien and Mr. Jackson. =D
    But mostly Mr. Jackson.

I've never understood this. I consider those movies to be so bad as to be unwatchable. It's like watching grass grow.

I swear I'm not trying to troll. I honestly don't see the appeal. And, to be clear, I do enjoy the genre...just not these ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    I've never understood this. I consider those movies to be so bad as to be unwatchable. It's like watching grass grow.

I swear I'm not trying to troll. I honestly don't see the appeal. And, to be clear, I do enjoy the genre...just not these ones.
    Calling the lotr movies bad is trolling. Saying you don't like them is an opinion that i could respect. Saying they are bad is just plain out trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love lord of the rings best cure for insomnia there is 10 minutes dead asleep every time
    Game of thrones on the other hand
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Well people who compare books to films will probably always choose books. I mean they inspire your imagination, you create your own picture of the characters and the scenery, something personal and only to yourself. A film pretty much shows you 'this girl looks like this' so there is no roomfor imagining what they could look like. I'm not very good at making points, but I hope people understand what I'm trying to get at.

Me, I've not read the LOTR books, because I never read many books when I was younger, it never became a 'hobby' or 'past time' for me to do when I want to do something. I've tried reading lately countless times but I just don't have the attention span, I start to wonder off in my mind, and then realise the paragraph I just read I didn't really take in, and need to read it again. I always regret not getting into books more, everyone else in my family reads and reminds me a lot how much I'm missing.
    I undestand what you mean - people are too lazy to read. However LotR books are excellent and very well written(except the part where hobbits travle for like 200 pages of nothing). Why do you think the movies are so long? There is so much valuable information in the books that it is extremly hard to decide what you want leave out and what not. Books simply offer way better view at whole war for the ring.

I like both the Books and the Movies. However personally I ADORE Tolkein's writing style and just the masterpiece he created, but I PREFER the Movies simply because for me, it's a more engaging experience. Plus Jackson and his team brought to life such an incredible world in way that SO FEW other Directors/Screenwriters etc could have.

I got everything LOTR from Anduril to an Evenstar Necklace I wear everyday and every single DVD/Blu Ray Theatrical and EE :S

The books are great when I feel like immersing myself in the story over the course of a few weeks, reading before Bed, on the Bus to Uni etc. But when I've got a day and I just want to lay on the couch, there's no other movie I would rather pull out of the draw then LOTR. To me it doesn't matter that they left out aspects of the books, Tom Bombadil, Scouring of the Shire etc, the Movies are just so incredible in their own right, you don't need Tom Bombadil or Scouring of the Shire for the "Movie Story" to make sense. You just need the insanely awesome; Acting, Script, direction, art, sets, VFX .. EVERYTHING and it all fits together so perfectly that would have done Tolkein proud I think. Anyone who says They Skip the Frodo and Sam scenes or "Frodo and Sam walking around is boring", yet in the next breath say they love LOTR, are NOT true LOTR fans, they're extremely well developed scenes that generally have alot of meaning and character progression woven in, and personally I love Jackson's ability to engage you not only in Action sequences but just simple walking around or stationary talking scenes.

To me LOTR ended the streak of brilliant movies from the 80's all the way to 2003, after that we've had ~7 years of majorly Crap (With a few exceptions here and there; Nolan films and what not) .. Now I think Directors are FINALLY getting the Idea that Special Effects are nice, but aren't what makes a movie, and we're finally seeing those classic movies that can not only be serious and tell an incredible story, but have those comedy elements and really touching moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    Calling the lotr movies bad is trolling. Saying you don't like them is an opinion that i could respect. Saying they are bad is just plain out trolling.

I think there's something you don't understand about stating opinions.

I never said they were bad. I said "I consider them to be bad". There is a big difference between stating something that is clearly an opinion and stating an opinion as though it were fact. I then added to my opinion by describing, in brief, why I thought them to be so bad. I could go into more detail, if you like.

To put it simply, I can't imagine why anybody would want to sit through 11 hours of this. I can't stand one hour. I came out of the theatre bored to tears after fellowship. I fell asleep during the two towers, under circumstances that I shouldn't have fallen asleep (I was not tired whatsoever, it was mid-afternoon, etc). I didn't bother to see return of the king. I recognize that having not seen 1.5 of the movies (missed half of TT, after all), I might be missing something key to enjoying them. I simply can't muster the will to put myself through that again. Thus, I give the OP props for being able to do that to himself.

Troll on, brother. Nothing like a troll who trolls by accusing somebody else of being a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    I love lord of the rings best cure for insomnia there is 10 minutes dead asleep every time
    Game of thrones on the other hand
    Thank f***, I'm not alone! I thought I was the only one!
    Last edited by Llunai; 2012-05-12 at 06:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    Tell me one good film that's based on a book that does "live up" to the books. It's simply not possible because if you want to show everything that's in the books in the film, you'd end up with a 40-hour film.

Don't get why people always have to compare films to books. Just look at the books as the books, and the films as the films. They are both great in their own way.
    The movies were better than the books. Quality > Quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Deadanon View Post
    If only LOTRO was as good... Its a disgrace to see the best story ever told beeing destroyed by Turbine with their F2P crap.
    yeah... that game should have different name for sure

I prefer the movies to the book, the book wanders randomly into many fairly pointless storypoints, as if it litterally describes every single detail of the journey, down to the pointless, meaningless and boring parts. While I enjoy the books I find the movies get to the point without missing out the important, the movies change a few things, but I don't think its negative.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is amazing in my eyes, they are part of only a handful of movies that I would ever watch more than once.

Tolkien does go on and on a bit from time to time (LOL) but I still prefer the books. I wasn't too disappointed that they left out the Tom Bombadil thing, but I really wish they had done something with the hobbits taking back the shire. That was just such a satisfying end to the story, I was pretty bummed that it got left out of the films. I also didn't really like what they did with Faramir in the movie, and he was one of my favorite characters in the books.

But OP, I'm glad you enjoyed them! I remember when I saw the first one, it ended and I was like THAT'S IT!? Waiting for the next movie to come out was very difficult lol.