Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

So I called my teacher a douche in an e-mail, can he fail me?

So the first day of class, the teacher tells us he doesn't know if the internet blackboard system will be working for our class to post our assignments... and that's how things were when I left class the first day, after showing him my finished assignments and he dismissed me. I was unable to attend the next class, when he informed the class that the blackboard was available for assignments. So it comes to the final week of class, and I was looking at my grades for the semester and I noticed it didn't have grades for my week 1 assignements, so I dug through my usb drive and found the files and posted them with a little note in the comment section informing him that I had shown him these assignments during the first day, and I just hadn't thought about uploading them because I had shown him to them and thus in my mind had gotten credit for it. First he grades them low because they are late, and puts that they are late in the teacher comments, so I e-mailed him saying "hey you must have missed the comments I left, I showed these completed assignments to you before blackboard was enabled" and he replied back saying "I told you the first class we would be using blackboard or I would tell you guys how you should submit assignments. You can submit them for 1/2 credit.". Well thats exactly backwards of what he said in class (I confirmed it with other people in the class)

So to my point, I e-mailed him back and said "You never told us the first day, you didn't know if blackboard was going to be working and you told us we may have to print everything out, correlate it and staple it for submission. But whatever be a douche."

His reply to me was "I have forwarded your reply below, and am investigating if your foul language is grounds for failing my course."

Now, I've got a 97% in this class, even with the grades he gave me for the "late" assignments. Do you think the school will actually fail me for that "foul language"?

legally no.. but he sure as hell gonna try

this is the same rule as "dont fuck with people who make your food" "dont fuck with people that you need for the future"

I think it's possible. Was probably poor judgement on your part to call the professor a douche.

Would have been different if you had used foul language, like "This is fucked up" .. but you directly insulted him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysmic Skyris View Post
    legally no.. but he sure as hell gonna try

this is the same rule as "dont fuck with people who make your food" "dont fuck with people that you need for the future"
    I don't really need him for the future, he's just some adjunct professor at a community college, teaching Intro to Word 2010. He doesn't even teach any other classes that are on my degree program, so I'm good there too. I'm only worried about failing because of how it might affect my financial aid.

I think it's possible as well. Calling a teacher a douche to his face so to speak was beyond boneheaded and stupid. Directly Insulting a teacher, boss, co worker etc. etc. is prob the fastest way you can get yourself in trouble, fired or in a court case nowadays. Next time use a little bit better judgement and you will not be in this situation.

while i understand your frustration, not really the smartest move on your part. as for can he do it... i dont think so, but then i could be very wrong

sounds like the truth hurts :P

on topic they probably can try but doubt they will do it
    God and maths? Hmm, the letter to alpha relation would be 7 - 15 - 4. Since it's all one word, it's safe to assume it's multiplication so it'd be 7*15*4=420. So realistically, god is related to cannabis? Perhaps that's what they were expecting you to write.

It would be nice, but unfortunately, no, there's probably little he can do.

I would go over his head, and check. We don't know the rules for your school, so that's the only way to know, really
    Link broken

He's investigating it, which means that he's going to try regardless. I've no clue why you thought insulting your teacher in such a manner sounded like a good idea in the first place, really. It's not really "foul language" as much as the fact that you directly insulted him.

But I guess it really depends on your school's rules. Chances are he won't be able to, but you never know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if he can fail you (I don't think so), but just in case, see if there is someone you can talk to at your school about your teacher's back flip on the assignments. Get in first.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyXP View Post
    I don't really need him for the future, he's just some adjunct professor at a community college, teaching Intro to Word 2010. He doesn't even teach any other classes that are on my degree program, so I'm good there too. I'm only worried about failing because of how it might affect my financial aid.
    Every university I've been to (4+ undergraduate through PhD) has a policy stating something to the effect of that grades must reflect some sort of objective rubric - the details of which are up to the Professor - but said rubric must be communicated to students ahead of time. So you probably can't be failed, but if your school has anything like a honor system you could still get punished for it via academic suspension.

By the way..Intro to Word 2010? This is a class people get credit for taking? No wonder everyone has a degree these days, with classes like that...

Quote Originally Posted by FattyXP View Post
    well i failed two classes while on financial aid (actually it was the same class twice, some junk "careers" and resume writing class that i couldn't be bothered to show up for) and after the second fail they told me if i failed another class before my academic standing went back up then my aid would be in jeopardy. so if where you live is anything like where i live, you can fail two classes without having to get worried. best to talk to your financial aid department though.

You had 97% in this class?

-_- And you think your teacher is a douche? What the?

How it might affect your financial aid means you do rely upon him for your future. Perhaps not your super long term goals, but it's there, and now it's hanging over your head the way he meant for it to.

I think he's just pulling your leg, personally, and has apparently succeeded nicely. If he is mean enough to go through with it for a student scoring that well in his class, then he's a jerk, sure. But you might take this as a life lesson, too. Don't insult anyone who has any sway over your life like that. "He has no power over me," loses it's oomph when apparently he has the power to lower the financial aid you might get (...enough that you'd post about it on an internet gaming forum?).

It also reflects poorly on you with the other faculty who hear about you through him.

EDIT: a typo =x

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dethavin View Post
    I think it's possible as well. Calling a teacher a douche to his face so to speak was beyond boneheaded and stupid. Directly Insulting a teacher, boss, co worker etc. etc. is prob the fastest way you can get yourself in trouble, fired or in a court case nowadays. Next time use a little bit better judgement and you will not be in this situation.
    Sums up my opinion, as well.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    lesson: don't be a dick to the people who can control your future.. even if they deserve it..
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good job, keep burning those bridges.

I don't care how rude the person is (I've experienced teachers not being the most pleasant via email) you still need to show respect and not give them a reason to fuck you up, literally, for the rest of the semester.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

If you already had a 97%, why would you not just submit them and still have an A in the course?

10+ Year Old Account
    i called my US history teacher a fucking asshole 2 weeks ago because he's a no life stoner who's a dick to all his students especially me and now i have no chance of passing lol