Overclocking a good or bad idea?

Hey I'm looking to buy the new Asus G55VW from xoticpc and I was wondering if it were ok to overclock it by there standards. The reason why I am asking this is that I am going to university next year and I don't know if the laptop would be safe if I were to use it daily.
    Last edited by Jadam; 2012-05-11 at 04:23 AM.

I would personally never overclock a laptop, especially not the newer chips. Tight spaces + third generation chip is probably a recipe for overheating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im no expert, but I dont think u would get very good results OCing any processor that u would get with that. Even if u could, it would have minimal results.
    I5 3570k @4.4GHz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | CM Hyper 212 Evo | G. Skill Sniper 16gb 2133 | Sandisk Extreme 120gb SSD + Crucial 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | EVGA SSC GTX 970| Air 540 Mid Tower | Seasonic M12II 520W | Viewsonic 27" + Viewsonic 27" IPS monitors |

Overclocking general is not that great of an idea. Theoretical speeds sound wonderful, but the bottleneck is usually elsewhere and all that really happens is more heat. In a laptop I would NEVER recommend it.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    overclocking laptops is a bad idea, basically because the cooling sucks.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

What everyone said. I wouldn't even OC desktops because the performance gain is so small in most cases, especially games. Given laptop's lack of heat tolerance, I think the answer is clear.

Chip makers stopped going for high clocks and instead shifted towards multi-core parallel/pipeline processing for a reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xami View Post
    What everyone said. I wouldn't even OC desktops because the performance gain is so small in most cases, especially games. Given laptop's lack of heat tolerance, I think the answer is clear.

Chip makers stopped going for high clocks and instead shifted towards multi-core parallel/pipeline processing for a reason.
    Not quite true, if you have ample GPU horsepower available in relation to cpu, overclocking can make a big difference. Besides, if you have over-the-top ridiculously powerful SLI/Crossfire system, no stock CPU can feed it. And games in general scale very well with clock frequency, whereas not many can fully utilize more than two or three cores. Of course, if you are limited by GPU performance, overclocking cpu won't help.

Deleted
    Laptop over clocking can be done, but you will have to do a few things first, one would be to replace the internal paste with a more confident thermal paste like artic silver or OCZ freeze. However this will not be a simple task as opening a PC, from then you will have to ensure you can change the CPU settings in your BIOS which to be honest most laptops do not have. also ventilation and changing the CPU fan or heat sink.. this is where it gets very messy and the words "warranty voided" will show up.

Can it be done, sure. However the advantages may very and it may end up being more hassle than its worth, but if you have your heart set on it then by all means I wish you the best.

Just remember it may get hot.. very hot so I wouldn't suggest you test your over clocking on you lap