Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    depression stems from trying to juggle school with having to maintain a job
    Don't get me wrong, but Depression is no laughing matter, trust me. However it sounds like this particular depression (if you say what it is) is... life. That's how life is. I worked and did school at the same time too. It blows, but that's how it is.

If the teacher is singling you out, say something to him after class, or speak with another teacher about it. There are resources to deal with this, but you don't seem to have taken advantage of them, and now is a bit late in the game.

Yes, they can fail you, depending on the state. Your age does not matter.

You said you "Never failed a class" but that you also don't understand anything in your Spanish 3 class (Also implying that you took 1 and 2) which means you cant "not understand anything". It sounds like you've just slacked off for a semester in your spanish class and not bothered to get outside help where it was obviously needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm almost sure that since you are over 18 that they can't invoke truancy unless there is some sort of special clause.

Lets just say I work with some people who are required to go to school but don't and being that they are over 18 there isn't much that they school can do/

/run on sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    Apparently sarcasm is as foreign a language to you as Spanish is to me.
    Because I can detect sarcasm like that in a post like that. Give me a break. When you word it like that, there's zero chance a random person would infer that it's sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I'm almost sure that since you are over 18 that they can't invoke truancy unless there is some sort of special clause.
    As long as you are registered in the school as a student, Truancy laws can be invoked. He just has to take some very minor steps to remove himself from having to go to that spanish class.

@OP -> Go see your guidance counselor, print out and bring the truancy law part I quoted for you, tell your counselor that the Vice Principal threatened you with truancy laws, and that you don't go to spanish because you feel the teacher singles you out unfairly and makes you feel stupid in front of the other students. I can pretty much guarantee you will be excused from the class and still graduate as long as you don't need to pass the class to fulfill your graduation requirements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
    I usually use a lot of sarcasm, and you can barely tell it there
    Suggesting that a WoW subscription is more important than college, insurance, IE essentially my future, is rediculous. I guess it's tough for some people to notice the sarcasm, as it's close to how they feel.

Though WoW is my only escape from the stresses of reality, which i realize is a cowardly thing in itself, but at this point i really don't care. My friend actually re-subbed my account in fear i might lets say, alt f4 irl without having a place to go to get away and have a good time.

But we're getting far off topic now. My question was generously answered already.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would say just go to the classes. deal with them.

I endured 5 years of catholic high school (back then high school was 5 years) and i barely wanted to go at all. I went.. sat there.. listened to whatever and went off.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think people now these day are addicted to WOW............just a druggie that need that fix..................

Just go to class.

Everytime he asks you something just say
    "Buenos Nachos, dondi easter le bilblitoteky"
    At some point he will get bored and stop asking you.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Just go to class.

Everytime he asks you something just say
    "Buenos Nachos, dondi easter le bilblitoteky"
    At some point he will get bored and stop asking you.
    My personal go-to was: "No se. No la veo." It worked pretty well. =p

truancy laws have to do with school funding. schools have to show X amount of people present for a given time period to get the funding, adn sometimes they're competing with other schools for that funding in a make/break situation

basically you're being really soft. life sucks. it's going to suck worse later. if you're depressed now you may not make it to 30 before offing yourself. best thing you can do is suck it up and realize that you're gonna put up with bullshit now or later and now is the best time to do that. pay your dues now or you'll pay them until the day you die. it's worth it in the long run

You're an adult. If your Depression is documented, then you're protected under the Federal IDEA law. You should have been placed into the LRE under your IEP. If they screwed it up, the law puts it in their lap, not yours. Part of this law includes the provision: If it is determined that a student's behavior is a manifestation of his or her disability, then he or she may not be suspended or expelled. Now, you can still fail, but only if you fail to meet the academic requirements required by the class or graduation. Even so, you're an adult. You can go take the GED and be done with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    My personal go-to was: "No se. No la veo." It worked pretty well. =p
    lol

Seriously though, if it looks like the teacher is getting off on embarassing you, turn it into a joke if it doesn't embarass you chances are the teacher will give up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Truancy can do worse than fail you, it can get you expelled.

Just go to the classes, Christ. The poor VP is probably on his last nerve. You're probably not the only kid he has to worry about. You know it's not required he call and warn you about this right?

Wake up and go to school. The world does not care about your feelings they care about you doing your damn job. Right now your job is to go to school. When you graduate find a good doctor than can put you on medication. Most Americans don't look kindly on people who won't work because they feel sad.
    Wikipedia is not a reference for anything.

I got truancy my sophomore year, all it does it make it that you can be suspended or expelled next time you ditch class...I don't know the limit for your school, but I had more than 83 absences to get it....so I think if you are ditching just a little it won't really happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry i forgot to mention it in the original post, but I am 18 and turning 19 in 4 months. Does this mean truancy laws dont apply?
    Jesus, how did this thread keep going after this? No, you can't be truant if you're an adult.

While truancy laws might not fully apply, the school *can*, however, prevent you from graduating if you haven't attended a specific amount of school. With only missing one class, it's hard to say how they would figure that up, but it is an option in most school systems - the reason is that you are obligated to attend so many days of school to earn the credit, period. If you don't meet that magic number (varies by state and school system), then you have not met the requirement and thus can be prohibited from passing.

I suppose for your parents it's fortunate that you're over 18; parents can be *jailed* if their child is truant to school in many districts.

I'm not sure if I got this right, but here in Romania, in university, some courses (seminars 100%, but some courses, too) are mandatory. And the teacher can very well - and most likely will - fail you if you don't attend them. The norm is, if the seminar lasts for 14 weeks (1/week), you can only miss 3 at most.

In my last year of uni (graduating MA in a bit), I had this german class and I think I was the most retarded of them all, but I had to go, and I went, because I really fancied graduating.

I don't know how this truancy thing is going on, but if you ask if they can fail you because you have been skipping, yes, they can. As a matter of fact, they don't fail you per se, but you're not allowed to take the final exam on said course. Which is bad when you're in the last year.
    Last edited by Taianne; 2012-05-11 at 01:35 PM.

Okay I see someone helped you here,

but Im going to be blunt, just dont be so dammed lazy for the last 11 days dude, its pathetic your even have a issue with it
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Apparently sarcasm is as foreign a language to you as Spanish is to me.
    Sarcasm is usually denoted by a (!) at the end.
    RETH