New build - Please cast a critical eye :)

Howdy folks

Not built a machine in like 5 years so would really appreciate any critical comments about this setup. I'm pretty sure it's all compatible in the ATX and Intel sides.

CPU: Intel i7 3930K
    GPU: ASUS GTX680 DirectCU II
    MOBO: RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
    MEM: Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600
    HARD (SSD): Corsair Force 3 120gb
    HARD: (HHD): Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB
    CASE: CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced
    POWER: CoolerMaster the GX-750W
    SOUND: Creative Titanium HD 5.1
    SPK: Logitech Z506 5.1
    Monitor: Asus VS239N-C HD 1960x1080 blah

That's about it aside from peripherals. And Win7 ofc.

1) It's not just for gaming (and not wow lol) will be used for video editing as well ;D
    2) POWER - I went with coolermaster because the case is that brand, but should I just go with Corsair?
    3) CASE and cooling - the 932 adv comes with 4 pretty epic fans (3x230mm and 1x140mm). Does it need WC if I'm only going to OC it to about 4.5? The GPU has nice cooling but not sure for CPU.
    4) SSD - Corsair F3 vs Crucial?
    5) I feel like a nub asking this but what cables do I need? I'd be pretty annoyed to forget one lol. The details for the MOBO doesn't list cables, so...

Ummm...I think that's all I wanted to ask. Please let me know if I've @%$&#^ anything up

Deleted
    Seems to be nice machine indeed. My thoughts:
    -Swap sound card to Asus Xonar. Creative 64-bit drivers sucked last I had one, and reportedly suck even to this day.
    -Possibly switch the PSU, but it's more of a personal preference.
    -From hearsay, Crucial M4 has had more positive feedback

And what comes to the cables, your motherboard should come with everything you need with that setup. My Crosshair IV came with whopping 8 s-ata cables (6x6GB and 2x3GB), crossfire bridge and other miscellaneous stuff I didn't need.

2) I usually go for seasonic/corsair. Jonnyguru is a nice site to check on PSU's
    3) You haven't listed an aftermarket cpu cooler, if your set on OC'ing id take one.
    4) Using the Corsair F3 myself, worked like a charm thus far. Just remember to flash its firmware to the latest one.
    5) Asus motherboards come with all cables needs (sata etc...) The PSU includes the needed powercables.
    Last edited by Chronius; 2012-05-11 at 08:19 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronius View Post
    3) You haven't listed an aftermarket cpu cooler, if your set on OC'ing id take one.
    The SB-E Processors don't even come with coolers.
    I used to love going to the beach during summer, until Greenpeace started trying to push me back in the water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes
    HARD: (HHD): Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB
    Get the 2TB version. It's price per GB is a lot better.
    Alternatively get a Western Digital Black 2TB, but that's a bit more $$$

2) POWER - I went with coolermaster because the case is that brand, but should I just go with Corsair?
    As Chronius said, Seasonic or Corsair. Staying in the same price range as the Coolmaster, the Seasonic M12II has dual 12v rails, which is a pain, while the equivalent Corsair HX series has a single rail, so I'd get the Corsair. You should also be ok with 650w if you want to save a bit of cash, only downside is it won't run SLI 680's like a 750w will.

Does it need WC if I'm only going to OC it to about 4.5?
    You should be ok on air. Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Noctua NH-D14 and the Thermalright Silver Arrow are king of the hill at the moment.
    What ever you get, make sure it comes with a socket 2011 mounting kit.
    (For my new rig I have ditched my WC plans and I'm now aiming for 4.5GHz on air)

4) SSD - Corsair F3 vs Crucial?
    Crucial M4. Most reliable SSD (along with Intel), and any time there is a firmware problem they literally have a fix out within a week. It also beats most drives in sequential reads, which is what makes gaming load screens shorter.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-05-11 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks for ur tips all

Quote Originally Posted by Raykus View Post
    Seems to be nice machine indeed. My thoughts:
    -Swap sound card to Asus Xonar. Creative 64-bit drivers sucked last I had one, and reportedly suck even to this day.
    -Possibly switch the PSU, but it's more of a personal preference. aye
    -From hearsay, Crucial M4 has had more positive feedback - aye
    And what comes to the cables, your motherboard should come with everything you need with that setup. My Crosshair IV came with whopping 8 s-ata cables (6x6GB and 2x3GB), crossfire bridge and other miscellaneous stuff I didn't need.
    Nice tip on the sound card, thanks! And thanks about the cables lol...puts my mind at ease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronius View Post
    2) I usually go for seasonic/corsair. Jonnyguru is a nice site to check on PSU's
    4) Using the Corsair F3 myself, worked like a charm thus far. Just remember to flash its firmware to the latest one.
    5) Asus motherboards come with all cables needs (sata etc...) The PSU includes the needed powercables.
    Thanks! That's a good site with some nice reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Get the 2TB version. It's price per GB is a lot better.
    Alternatively get a Western Digital Black 2TB, but that's a bit more $$$
    Thanks bud For the HDD, I have like 4 500g external drives so I think I'll stick with the 1tb.
    As Chronius said, Seasonic or Corsair. Staying in the same price range as the Coolmaster, the Seasonic M12II has dual 12v rails, which is a pain, while the equivalent Corsair HX series has a single rail, so I'd get the Corsair. You should also be ok with 650w if you want to save a bit of cash, only downside is it won't run SLI 680's like a 750w will.
    Yh, seems like that's the way to go. Gonna switch to the Corsair power supply. Gonna get the 750 though...coz, powah xD
    You should be ok on air. Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Noctua NH-D14 and the Thermalright Silver Arrow are king of the hill at the moment.
    What ever you get, make sure it comes with a socket 2011 mounting kit.
    (For my new rig I have ditched my WC plans and I'm now aiming for 4.5GHz on air)
    Because of the crazy fans and the great airflow of the coolermaster 932x I think I'm gonna try on air first.
    Crucial M4. Most reliable SSD (along with Intel), and any time there is a firmware problem they literally have a fix out within a week. It also beats most drives in sequential reads, which is what makes gaming load screens shorter.
    I think I'll switch over the SSD to Crucial as many reviews are v positive

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Squirrel,

How much editing/rendering will you be doing? If it is at least 2 hours a day I would say just get a 2600k, otherwise you are really just wasting $300

Quote Originally Posted by hapylol View Post
    Squirrel,

How much editing/rendering will you be doing? If it is at least 2 hours a day I would say just get a 2600k, otherwise you are really just wasting $300
    It'll be quite a few hrs, aye. My mrs is a professional editor and is going to start working from home a lot more soon. Plan is she'll use it for work a lot during the day and I'll use it for...other things later on xD
    One day we might get 2 rigs, in which case I'll cannibalize this one and build a more suitable gaming rig on top of this.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still say go with the 2600k but I guess that is up to you. Everything in this build is pretty expensive. You could probably build 2 computers that will do everything you want for the price of this one...