High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

MMO closest to how WoW was in TBC?

Hi guys,

For many reasons, I miss WoW how it used to be and am looking to find another MMO to play. Can anyone recommend any MMO's either old, or coming out soon/in the future that most closely resemble how WoW was during TBC.

I specifically want the game:

To take longer to level
    Dungeons to be challenging
    Group quests on levelling
    Hierachy of raids so I have to work my way through the lower level raids before i can do higher (kara/ssc/BT etc)
    Attunements
    Rep grinds
    Crafting items takes quests, different professions, dungeon drops etc. (Like Onyxia's scale cloak if anyone remembers that).

Really everything that MMO's used to be 5 years ago and not the kind of style we have now. I know some of the Korean games are like this, but I've no idea which ones or if they are even available in the West.

Please dont make this a flame thread, TBC/WOTLK/CATA is best etc.

I have listed above the kind of things I am after and am simply wondering if there are any games out there that play the way WoW used to be. I guess more grindy and with a more "serious" playerbase.

Many thanks, and any recommendations are more than welcome.

hardtofin

Pretty sure the closest thing to TBC WoW is...still WoW.

Though I haven't extensively played it so I can't speak from experience, from what I understand it sounds like you should give Rift a go.

Deleted
    You can also give Lord Of The Rings Online a try, has all of the stuff you mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    Hmm uhh I guess Dungeons and Dragons is sorta like that or Runes of Magic maybe? I mean honestly no other game is as polished as WoW is so it's kind of hard to find something on that lvl of enjoyment.

Just reading the title, I thought "Rift."
    Reading the list of things you wanted, I'd say Rift or LOTRO.
    Hopefully both of these can dispel your TBC nostalgia. Rift isn't bad at all, but it's not far removed from TBC WoW in all the ways you listed.

Deleted
    I played Rift briefly at launch, so I can confirm what others have said about it being somewhat similar to TBC in terms of the sort of game mechanics that you're looking for. Though I'm not sure how many features remain intact, since I recall there being a nerf to the aggro range of enemies and their ability to dismount players passing by them.

As has been stated, I'd look at LOTRO or Rift.

Aion is similar to that, although there is more of a focus on world PvP

Deleted
    Rift for sure.

To take longer to level
    Hierachy of raids so I have to work my way through the lower level raids before i can do higher (kara/ssc/BT etc)
    Attunements
    Rep grinds
    Crafting items takes quests, different professions, dungeon drops etc. (Like Onyxia's scale cloak if anyone remembers that).
    That describes almost exactly Rift.

The only difference being Rift leveling is very fast, intentionally. However, Rift has an Everquest-like AA system once you reach max level. So you are still in the process of "leveling" for like months.

The hierarchy of raiding and dungeons most especially. Trion, makers of Rift, mimicked the TBC progression model fairly close.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-11 at 03:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift by a long shot. 10 and 20 man raids do not share lockouts and have completely different content. There is no throwing on a tabard and championing rep to max in a week by running dungeons. Most of the features current wow has and more. Worth having a peak at the very least.

Leveling is fairly quick for a seaoned MMO player though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The only difference being Rift leveling is very fast, intentionally. However, Rift has an Everquest-like AA system once you reach max level. So you are still in the process of "leveling" for like months.
    There are many things you can do to artificially slow down levelling and make it harder if you really want to. Wear only grey gear (or whatever rift's equivalent is) is one example.

LotRO has basically every feature you described.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtofin View Post
    Hi guys,

For many reasons, I miss WoW how it used to be and am looking to find another MMO to play. Can anyone recommend any MMO's either old, or coming out soon/in the future that most closely resemble how WoW was during TBC.

To take longer to level
    Attunements
    Rep grinds

Really everything that MMO's used to be 5 years ago and not the kind of style we have now. I know some of the Korean games are like this, but I've no idea which ones or if they are even available in the West.

Please dont make this a flame thread, TBC/WOTLK/CATA is best etc.

I have listed above the kind of things I am after and am simply wondering if there are any games out there that play the way WoW used to be. I guess more grindy and with a more "serious" playerbase.

Many thanks, and any recommendations are more than welcome.

hardtofin

Some one wanting to Grind You want new servers with no established guilds in any WoW type raid focused game. You will not find what you are looking for unless it is a new server, but be prepared to wait and wait for what you want 90% of the population in all games do not wish to follow that path.

Rift or Aion.

They both take a while to get to cap (50 in Rift, 60 in Aion), though, personally Aion's feels longer (not just due to the +10 levels, but levels generally feel more meaningful in Aion).

Both have challenging dungeons.

Aion has more group quests, though Rift has events and invasions.

Aion's raids don't follow 'tiers,' but there's ~3 years with of old content you can 'rise' though from the old expacs.
    Rift is up to T3, so you gotta do T1 and T2 to get to ID.

Aion is more PvP-focused while Rift is PvE.

Rift has a slightly modified WoW talent tree system that is fluid and interesting, until you realize that in the end it's still WoWlike with cookie cutter dps specs.

Aion has no talent trees.

In Aion, Sanctum is a awesome floating City that feels pretty huge for a game.
    In Rift, Sanctum is a pathetic Lighthouse on an Island populated by religious zealots who caused most of the problems on Telara, yet blame innocent people.....

Personal preference, but either game is great,

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Yeah, Rift would pretty much provide those. Fun game there.
    LotRO reminds me more of vanilla WoW -- not that that's a bad thing. I love it.

When I played Rift (it was probably a year ago by now though) it seemed to me to give me a very similar vibe to TBC WoW, and that feeling made it enjoyable for me, though I did not play past the first month.