Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ...
2
10
11
12
13
14
22
... LastLast
  1. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Is it playable without a controller? I'd just like to know since I'm not really ready to invest in one for pc... Otherwise I've been really hyped about the game.
    No idea sorry, I'm playing it with XBOX gamepad.

  2. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Is it playable without a controller? I'd just like to know since I'm not really ready to invest in one for pc... Otherwise I've been really hyped about the game.
    Yep, it is 'playable' but I use that term very loosely. It will really try your patience if you don't use a controller, and i'm normally quite good with keyboard controls. I personally started off with the keyboard, beat about half of it with it and then switched over purely because I found an old one lying around.

    Surely you must have a PS3 controller or something you can hook up to it? There's things you can install that makes most controllers work with just a USB cable Doesn't need to be one made specifically for the PC

  3. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    Yep, it is 'playable' but I use that term very loosely. It will really try your patience if you don't use a controller, and i'm normally quite good with keyboard controls. I personally started off with the keyboard, beat about half of it with it and then switched over purely because I found an old one lying around.

    Surely you must have a PS3 controller or something you can hook up to it? There's things you can install that makes most controllers work with just a USB cable Doesn't need to be one made specifically for the PC
    I bet nintendo controller won't cut it :/ or dreamcast

  4. #224
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    I bet nintendo controller won't cut it :/ or dreamcast
    Probably not, but worth reading up about anyway ^^

    It's still doable with keyboard, and it's a great game so definitely give it a shot Will just take some time getting used to (It's mostly the camera controls that's terrible, but I believe they brought out a fix for it).

  5. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    This is just completely false now.

    I really wish people would stop spreading this because everything that was wrong with the controls on the pc were fixed within a week or 2. Mouse sensitivity has been fixed, camera has been fixed, lock on has been fixed, everything works perfectly. There were also a lot of lies I heard people spreading before the launch was released. I bought the game and saw that they were untrue.


    Also, there are many PC games that are "unplayable" out of the box. Almost all blizzard games are unplayable out of the box, bethesda games are unplayable out of the box, mass effect 2 controls are unplayable out of the box. Hell, your operating system is also completely broken out of the box.. It needs updates and bug fixes. These fixes come from developers but they also come from volunteers or the community at large. When the community fixes it, its common for the developers to direct you to that fix and leave it at that. This is how the industry works because it's impossible to prevent all bugs and fix all of them.

    If this is something that truly bothers anyone I would either: a) Suggest you find a way to make bug free code, and someone will gladly pay you a six figure salary for solving the biggest problem in the computer industry. b) Stay away from PC and stick to television and Iphone.


    The guy you quoted is wrong though. The kb&m is completely optimal now.
    The fact of the matter remains that far too many games are released with shoddy controls, poor graphics optimization and a plethora of other bugs for the PC, however bug issues are never exclusive to the PC. They had months and months to port the game after people started complaining about it not coming out on the PC, and yet it was clearly evident at release that they hardly so much as touched anything that optimizes the game for PC users. If it takes a few weeks to actually fix the game, that is some seriously shitty quality control, and anyone who releases an unpolished game deserves all the criticism and flaming they get for doing such a terrible job.

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Why do people complain about using a controller for a PC game? I use one all the time for rpgs and more or less anything that isn't a FPS.

    Makes like a shit load easier to control. Mouse and keyboard isn't a better control method. Its a different control method. Those who think its better are delusional.

    You haven't thought this through very much, have you? Lets put it in easier turns. Game controller = keyboard turning in wow. Your max camera adjustment, or aiming, or ability to move and spin is capped by whatever the inherent max speed is set to. It is leaps and bounds less precise than a mouse and keyboard, to the point where any game out there that is 1st person, or 3rd person with separate movement and camera abilities (like DS) is played far more effectively with a kbm combo.

    There are game types that are better for a controller. This ain't it.

    TL;DR - bad port, no cookie.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

  7. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    You haven't thought this through very much, have you? Lets put it in easier turns. Game controller = keyboard turning in wow. Your max camera adjustment, or aiming, or ability to move and spin is capped by whatever the inherent max speed is set to. It is leaps and bounds less precise than a mouse and keyboard, to the point where any game out there that is 1st person, or 3rd person with separate movement and camera abilities (like DS) is played far more effectively with a kbm combo.

    There are game types that are better for a controller. This ain't it.

    TL;DR - bad port, no cookie.
    I disagree with you. I definitely think that mouse and keyboard is better for FPS and games that require tactical aiming, etc, but for RPGs it isn't nearly as important, if at all. I can't think of any times where I need precise camera adjustment or aiming in any 3rd person games that I've played recently. In fact, I can't stand playing 3rd person games with mouse and keyboard unless there are abilities that I need to keybind (MMOs, and some rare singleplayer RPGs that require it). Dark Souls is awful with mouse and keyboard, and not just because of the port not being optimal.

    OT: Still loving this game. Definitely worth the purchase and then some.

  8. #228
    Hey guys I just installed the game. What patches and fixes should I install now?

  9. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuma View Post
    Hey guys I just installed the game. What patches and fixes should I install now?
    Just this DSfix. Read the reame file.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-28 at 01:50 PM ----------

    This is what a proper boss looks like!

    Last edited by Cakka; 2012-10-28 at 11:50 AM.

  10. #230
    I see this is now on Sale for £20 on Steam. Now that a bit of time has passed since release, does anyone know if there are enough mods/fixes to warrant a purchase yet or is it still a bit of a mess?

  11. #231
    Quote Originally Posted by Montego View Post
    I see this is now on Sale for £20 on Steam. Now that a bit of time has passed since release, does anyone know if there are enough mods/fixes to warrant a purchase yet or is it still a bit of a mess?
    Definitely worth the purchase. Modders have really outdone themselves. There's even a fix for the poor keyboard/mouse controls, but I still think it's better with a controller. To be honest though, it was never enough of a mess to warrant not purchasing it. But it's only gotten better from launch.

  12. #232
    Herald of the Titans Varyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,741
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Definitely worth the purchase. Modders have really outdone themselves. There's even a fix for the poor keyboard/mouse controls, but I still think it's better with a controller. To be honest though, it was never enough of a mess to warrant not purchasing it. But it's only gotten better from launch.
    Where is dees fix for the controls?

  13. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    Where is dees fix for the controls?
    Dunno, I don't use m/kb so I don't have it. I just overheard my friends talking about it in Skype and one of them linked it to the other who had just gotten the game. I'm sure you could easily find it if you check on any of the popular Dark Souls mod sites, but I'll link it myself if I can find it.

    EDIT: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/28

  14. #234
    Scarab Lord Collegeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The fact of the matter remains that far too many games are released with shoddy controls, poor graphics optimization and a plethora of other bugs for the PC, however bug issues are never exclusive to the PC. They had months and months to port the game after people started complaining about it not coming out on the PC, and yet it was clearly evident at release that they hardly so much as touched anything that optimizes the game for PC users. If it takes a few weeks to actually fix the game, that is some seriously shitty quality control, and anyone who releases an unpolished game deserves all the criticism and flaming they get for doing such a terrible job.
    That pretty much every company out there. When was the last time Bethesda launched a polished game?

  15. #235
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The fact of the matter remains that far too many games are released with shoddy controls, poor graphics optimization and a plethora of other bugs for the PC, however bug issues are never exclusive to the PC. They had months and months to port the game after people started complaining about it not coming out on the PC, and yet it was clearly evident at release that they hardly so much as touched anything that optimizes the game for PC users. If it takes a few weeks to actually fix the game, that is some seriously shitty quality control, and anyone who releases an unpolished game deserves all the criticism and flaming they get for doing such a terrible job.
    Sounds like every PC port out there.

    What rock have you been living under?

  16. #236
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Sounds like every PC port out there.

    What rock have you been living under?
    Haven't been living under one, but it's clearly obvious that consoles have ruined what us PC gamers have had going for such a long time.

  17. #237
    Dark Souls for the PC is amazing, played it to death and loved every second. Personally used a controller and the resolution fix, can't vouch for modded KB+M controls.

  18. #238
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Haven't been living under one, but it's clearly obvious that consoles have ruined what us PC gamers have had going for such a long time.
    Console market makes more money. Be thankful you get these games ported to pc.

  19. #239
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Haven't been living under one, but it's clearly obvious that consoles have ruined what us PC gamers have had going for such a long time.
    Ruined is kind of a strong word. Dark Souls is one of my favorite games and I'm happy to be able to play it on my preferred platform. I've logged almost 200 hours into the game since I've gotten it on PC and I've been having a blast. It's not perfect, but I'm just glad to have the game! They didn't have to port it, and they're a company that knows nothing about developing games on PC. They only did it because the community requested it. I'm not saying that you have to support worse-than-average ports with your money, as it's your money and you can do what you want with it, but I wouldn't speak for everyone by saying that ports like this one have ruined PC gaming. Far from it.

  20. #240
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Console market makes more money. Be thankful you get these games ported to pc.
    Probably because the console market is over saturated with 3 brands, two of which offer 90% of the same content as what the PC gets. It's OK though, Sony is on the verge of death anyway, the Vita is failing hard and the PS3 has been a miserable failure compared to the PS1 and PS2, but hey that's what happens when you still have the most expensive and have been the most overpriced console for 7 years running! If consoles didn't exist, or there were less of them, PC games would be better.

    Besides, I am fine with some games being better suited to a console, or at least played with a controller like Cave Story and Super Meat Boy, I am not OK with games having crappy graphics and locked resolutions at launch, or watered down textures because the developers didn't want to require 25 GB installs for games like Rage on the PC and using console limitations as an excuse for not releasing the PC version with superior textures.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •