Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    First when I started playing Dark Souls, I got annoyed and frustrated because of invading, since I usually lost. Now, after a little bit over 200 hours spend on Dark Souls, I might be able to win against invaders. Practice does make you better Also if someone is interested of co-opping or dueling, you can add my Psn, which is: Great-Sothoth. I am usually up for helping people if I have a character on the summon range :3

Deleted
    Hello there, I could use some help or advice.

I want to play Darksouls 2 badly but its often told you should use a controller instead of the keyboard. Is this true, do you really need a controller or can you play with an keyboard to the same efficiency ?

Sorry if this question was already answered here elsewhere, couldnt find anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    Hello there, I could use some help or advice.

I want to play Darksouls 2 badly but its often told you should use a controller instead of the keyboard. Is this true, do you really need a controller or can you play with an keyboard to the same efficiency ?
    I didn't realise how many games are much better with controller on the PC until recently. I bought an XBOX receiver last month and used it playing Darksouls, Darksiders, Bastion, Castle Crashers & Sonic. I'm going to get into racing games which I never bought on the PC before, mostly because the keyboard is pretty poor for that too.

So to answer your question, Yes you can play through Dark Souls with keyboard + mouse (and there have been good fixes to the controls post release of the game to accommodate keyboard use) but you really should play it with a controller. The wireless receiver is not too expensive but it really enhances game-play for not just Dark Souls, but many other games too.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    Hollowing reversal is in the game solely for ONE reason - MULTIPLAYER. It is there not for you to "play the game as human as much as possible" and look at your waifu's pretty model. It's in the game's rules - if you go human, you want to engage in multiplayer, be it co-op or pvp, REGARDLESS if YOU like it or not. If you do not understand this simple thing it is your problem and yours alone. Other people shouldn't suffer because of your ignorance and cheating, even if the only thing they want is to kill you to take your humanity. They are playing by the rules and so should you.
    Aren't there certain things in the game you can only get/do if you're human and not hollowed? I thought it had more in-game purpose than to just participate in PVP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matheren View Post
    Aren't there certain things in the game you can only get/do if you're human and not hollowed? I thought it had more in-game purpose than to just participate in PVP.
    Kindling aside there's only one thing in the game affected by human form - NPC invasions. And they are the primarily to give a taste of multiplayer to people who play offline.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    Kindling aside there's only one thing in the game affected by human form - NPC invasions. And they are the primarily to give a taste of multiplayer to people who play offline.
    Ehh there's more than experience.
    Set of Thorns
    Set of Favor
    Paladin set.
    Funny Xanthem set.
    And the weapons and shields that come along with the murdering of their phantoms.

There something I want to ask the community here about Darksouls. Did anybody else find that the overall difficulty is easier then they expected?

Not to say that the games is easy, but I find myself tearing through the game only hitting stumbling points on certain bosses (like the Goat Demon on the tiny walkway, I kept getting stuck between the boss and a corner >.<). I not quite done but so far (about 60% through i am guessing) and I hear that the last boss is a teeth grinder, but the average enemy is easy one you learn its pattern.

So I was just wondering if anyone had this thought.

Also as a side note I play offline, mostly because I want figure the traps/bosses out by myself and I have very little interest in PVP.
    Last edited by Kaosbringer; 2013-01-21 at 07:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say the game is satisfyingly difficult on the first run, but yes, it does become easy pretty fast when you learn all the attack patterns and boss attacks etc.
    But that's why there are NG+ and PvP. Often people do challenge runs, like low level or no shield runs. If you're not into "serious" PvP, some online communities hold RP PvP events for fun.

Deleted
    People complaining about Invasions are pretty hilarious.

They should probably not play Dark Souls then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, after the first run through, it's pretty easy.

Now I just do stupid builds or weird builds for giggles.

Ornstein Smough, at first was hard, now it's one shot for almost any spec.

I also now realized I have only summoned once, and got summoned like 100x more... Summoned to get Kalameet's stupid tail.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have picked the game up, but I just can't get over how terrible the PC controls are. I guess I have to go buy a controller, as my other ones broke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    I have picked the game up, but I just can't get over how terrible the PC controls are. I guess I have to go buy a controller, as my other ones broke.
    Ya I found that with the Dsfix mod (basically unlocks the games resoulution, and some other things) the game looks decent, but the mouse and keyboard controls are ass. Unless some puts there time into fixing them I would heed the "Controller Highly recommended" warning that Steam and other sites have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Also, a word to the wise. At least as far as invading other people's worlds, Cheats such as trainers TO FUNCTION FOR THEM. I'm not sure if it works for them when invading someone, as I've never invaded at all. And I'm one of those cheating assholes, so beware :-) I get invaded all the time by people in seemingly better gear than I have, they take swipe after swipe on me and I don't lose any health...then I hit them once and they die >:-) I'm an evil bastard. I don't like PvP, and hate that it's basically mandatory to put up with in what is otherwise an absolutely amazing game.

Granted, I HAVE been nice before and let people 'farm' souls from me. With max souls, if I die, you get a buttload of souls. So someone invades, I jump off a cliff, grats to you. I just press a simple button and back to full souls I go :-P
    If you hate PvP, why are you playing this game? It's intertwined with the game from the first 5 minutes. You're cheating because you dislike a mechanic for the game and creating a problem for the people that actually play the game legit. That's pretty low. If you don't want to PvP, don't reverse hollow.

This reminds me exactly like when people in WoW (or any MMO) complain when they get killed in PvP on a PvP server.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    Ya I found that with the Dsfix mod (basically unlocks the games resoulution, and some other things) the game looks decent, but the mouse and keyboard controls are ass. Unless some puts there time into fixing them I would heed the "Controller Highly recommended" warning that Steam and other sites have.
    Exactly. Even after I applied the fixes, I still feel like I have the same amount of control over it as I have over a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    Exactly. Even after I applied the fixes, I still feel like I have the same amount of control over it as I have over a cat.
    The game was really meant to be played with a controller.
    It is by far a very very lazy port, and From Soft even stated that it'd be a lazy port but made due to high demand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny, but my friend who's not a stranger to console ports and games, actually found gamepad controls not working out so well for him, compared to KB+M.

Lil' question here, as I find myself in a strange situation.

I was having a blast playing Dark Souls up until the encounter with Ornstein and Smough. They were a very tough challenge to overcome, and I enjoyed every second of it.
    But... since then, I feel a bit disheartened about the game. I was and still am so awestruck that I'm under the impression that nothing can feel great after that. The duo, their dynamic, the setting, everything was just so literally awesome. The track is epicness made music.

It's been a couple months, and I haven't touched the game since. It just feels right, since they would have been a perfectly valid final boss.

So, does the rest of the game measure up to that part ? From what I've understood, I'd then be going after the three original fire bearers, which sounds big. Opinions ?

(The fact that I started with a Faith character and realised they got the short end of the stick in Dark Souls might have played a part, though I now find myself itching to start anew with a Strength build !)

Quote Originally Posted by Sealed View Post
    Lil' question here, as I find myself in a strange situation.

I was having a blast playing Dark Souls up until the encounter with Ornstein and Smough. They were a very tough challenge to overcome, and I enjoyed every second of it.
    But... since then, I feel a bit disheartened about the game. I was and still am so awestruck that I'm under the impression that nothing can feel great after that. The duo, their dynamic, the setting, everything was just so literally awesome. The track is epicness made music.

It's been a couple months, and I haven't touched the game since. It just feels right, since they would have been a perfectly valid final boss.

So, does the rest of the game measure up to that part ? From what I've understood, I'd then be going after the three original fire bearers, which sounds big. Opinions ?

(The fact that I started with a Faith character and realised they got the short end of the stick in Dark Souls might have played a part, though I now find myself itching to start anew with a Strength build !)
    The game is still very solid after O&S. I actually stopped for a while too after I first beat them, but for a different reason. I was just so relieved and didn't want to experience such frustration again. :P But, I picked it back up eventually, and the rest of the game is still just as good! O&S was definitely my favorite fight, but the bosses after that are still great, and the environments are still just as atmospheric. Keep going! It's too good of a game to leave unfinished.

10+ Year Old Account
    I figured this was totally appropriate (language warning):

Oh yeah, and fuck Bed of Chaos. Just beat the game for the first time a few days ago, and that fight is so amazingly cheap and frustrating. Seriously, I one shotted Four Kings, Nito, Seath, hell, even Gwyn, but I died at least five times to the Bed of Bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealed View Post
    But... since then, I feel a bit disheartened about the game.
    Yeah, O&S is definitely the most challenging encounter for a new player, and after that the game doesn't feel all that menacing or hard, but still keeps a good pace.

Now, if you're hungry for challenge, then you should try going into NG+, get your world gravelorded or something. Four kings get buffed considerably in subsequent playthroughs and are probably one of the toughest fights.