computer building help please guys, quick question :)

hey, i am currently in the middle of throwing my first self computer build together and am just waiting on my CPU, and HD to arrive. Everything else is plugged in so out of curiosity i plugged it in and switched it on. I get no noise from my power supply and none of my case fans are spinning. There are however, green LEDs lighting up on the motherboard so there must be power right?. Have i gone wrong somewhere or does the computer just need all its parts and before it will start to show signs of functioning? Also i have half the case fans plugged into the motherboard and half into the PSU, it was just easier that way with cable management, is this ok?. Sorry for sounding like a bit of a idiot, just stressing out with this being my first build. thanks guys

15+ Year Old Account
    how would the computer function without a CPU and HDD? it's like a human functioning without a brain and spinal cord

i'd plug all the case fans into the PSU personally, and only the CPU fan into the motherboard, but i dont think it will do any harm having the case fans plugged into the mobo
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are trying to get your computer to work without the CPU, (and I dont mean to sound insulting), you shouldn't be building a computer.

While I've never tried powering on a motherboard with no cpu, I've also never tried running a car after removing critical parts either.

You've risked damaging hardware as it is. No, it wont work without the CPU.

You don't have a cpu and expected it to work? I don't mean to sound degrading but did you even read a guide or ask anyone with knowledge about building a pc?

Also the only fans that should be plugged into the mobo should be cpu fans.

Hahaha nooooo I didn't expect it to work, I just expected the PSU to come
    To life and the fans connected to the PSU to at least start spinning, was just trying to diagnose if I had gone wrong before my final parts arive

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't really diagnose anything without a full build. The system (should) have safeguards to prevent you from doing that, which is likely why it wont power up.

Quote Originally Posted by drew09dalt View Post
    Hahaha nooooo I didn't expect it to work, I just expected the PSU to come
    To life and the fans connected to the PSU to at least start spinning, was just trying to diagnose if I had gone wrong before my final parts arive
    Sorry, that came across a bit condescending, you should never test anything until you have the basic parts installed. After that is when you start trouble shooting.

Oh well thanks, gues I will just wait on the final parts and pray I havnt blew anything by applying power, thanks anyways