MoP Beta Change to Devouring Plague

Devouring Plague now scales from 16.6% of Spell Power, down from 50% of spell power.

SO with this new change/nerf how hard has it hit devouring plague? havnt gotten a chance to see it since im at work right now and should be home in the next few hours to test it out myself but how do you guys feel about devouring plague now? before this change (yesterday in fact) i was able to get 30k+ crit ticks on an 85 target dummy (3 stack orbs). my guess itll be down significantly right now.

Before the nerf, my DP hit for 24ks aprox. Now its ticks are always 8313. Yeah, its a joke.

jesus that bad? that sounds wayy to nerfed and i doubt it will stay this way for something that is revolved around our shadow orbs.

The instant damage remains the same, but as you see the tick damage its 1/3 of the previous build.

15+ Year Old Account
    They are messing around with DP at the moment. I highly doubt this is the final change.

Also, shouldn't we add a [Beta] tag to this or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Also, shouldn't we add a [Beta] tag to this or something?
    Done

Also... ouch that is a heck of a nerf = / I hope Ultima is right and they will change it a bit higher. I pretty much get the feeling at this point that they don't really know what they want to do with shadow and are just trying out lots of stuff.

Yeah, as the VT, all of us were hoping a buff after the massive nerf, and q month after it remains the same.

Blizzard wants all shadow to make reroll to locks. We have to assume that.

Pre nerf: Avg 23600 hit, 49000 crit
    Post nerf: Avg 8200 hit, 17000 crit

It's a pretty big nerf, but as said before the instant damage is still the same. And let's be honest, 200k+ damage for one gcd was bound to get nerfed hard.

i understand nerfed hard but seems a bit much dont you think? instead of 200k damage why not lets say 100k-120k it requires 3 orbs in any case to be beneficial and it can be dispelled by some healers no?

pve wise i dont know how much of a dps loss it is due to no recount yet* not sure if im right or wrong maybe blizz let it in beta and i didnt see it but i dont have a recount yet and just going off numbers that i see on dummys when i look for them.

I think the nerf was fine, got no complaints at all to be honest.
    It STILL hits like a truck! Don't forget it ticks every second and the initial hit remained the same.
    Mine still does around 100k damage overall from a GCD, which doesn't seem that bad to me.

Add our mastery and crit to that and boom!
    Last edited by Juicebox; 2012-05-12 at 12:13 AM.

Every second? You must take a look on it.

Mastery? It cant be called mastery. Now its crit.

It ticks every second. The post on the front page/tooltip is incorrect.

And yeah, since the mastery procs can proc additional effects, it's just a second crit roll for our dots.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    It ticks every second. The post on the front page/tooltip is incorrect.
    And yeah, since the mastery procs can proc additional effects, it's just a second crit roll for our dots.
    Well, the second one can presumably also crit (or duplicate a crit effect) for 4x damage so it's slightly more complicated than that.
    It's still far from the least interesting mastery :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Bear in mind everyone, that extra DoT ticks from the mastery means extra procs. Mana, instant Mind Blasts, PvE-viable Mind Spikes, and so on, not to mention the possibility that this will make trinkets proc faster. So again, more complicated than crit.

From what I understood, they mastery ticks haven't been proccing extra effects. Do you have proof that they do?

From what I understood, they mastery ticks haven't been proccing extra effects.
    They don't. The only things they proc are trinkets/cloak/weaponenchants.

Mana Reg from VT does also happen, but that's because the baseline effect from a VT tick, and not a proc.

From what I understood, they mastery ticks haven't been proccing extra effects. Do you have proof that they do?
    I'd actually like people to be encouraging Blizzard to take a look at getting this to happen. As it stands right now, Mastery is a boring crit alternative, except instead of a bigger number it's two separate numbers. Yawn.

If, however, it can be swayed to actually interact with our other effects, it feels a very fluid and inherent part of the spec.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I agree, when I first heard of the mastery, I thought that it would proc those sorts of effects, and thus would have an interesting effect on our rotation. However, it's just crit 2.0 for our dots, which is terribly boring.

I was just confirming that that's the way it is on beta right now.