Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I got mine for gaming load times, and really don't regret it. Everything feels a lot smoother. I've OC'ed my computer, doubled RAM, etc. and nothing has been as noticeable as the SSD. My wife even noticed it (with her casual use), and she wouldn't notice much given how little computing power she needs.

My only regret is waiting so long.

SSD's greatly decrease wait time for games, unless you need to wait for other players (such as in League of Legends).
    120GB is the minimum you want really. Take note that all hard drives (HDDs and SSDs) are counted in the metric system that 1GB = 1,000,000,000,000 (10^9) bytes so 120GB becomes 111.8GB before even installing anything on it. ( ((((120 * 10^9) / 1024) / 1024) / 1024) ). So with the OS, updates and a couple of basic programs (media player, web browser) you're at around 85-90GB remaining.

Really you'd just put games with long loading times (or that load a lot of content at once) on there (WoW, other MMORPGS, CoD, Battlefield (where loading faster can give you a bit of an advantage) ). Games such as LoL, D3, Legends of Grimrock you don't need to bother putting on a SSD. Then there are the on - the - fence type of games like Kingdom of Amalur, you might also add a bunch of other single player games where you don't gain much to this area, some of them are subjective and depend on if you play them a lot or not.

Also, delicious UK sale... £0.70/GB

http://www.ebuyer.com/268693-corsair...ssd-f120gb3-bk / http://www.ebuyer.com/268244-ocz-120...t3-25sat3-120g
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree with my previous statement.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2012-05-12 at 03:58 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Deleted
    I'm so extremely happy with my SSD. Apparently the OCZ one that I have isn't too fond of intel chipsets and has a few issues, bsods and the like.

But the boot speed of Windows 8 is phenomenal. From the boot screen to login is sometimes as little as a second (it varies for me) and there's no screwing around waiting for your system to get up to speed before you can start launching and using programs. Login, bam! Touch the Chrome panel on the start screen and I'm googling nearly instantly.

Only downside is the size. I have a very low amount of programs installed on the SSD itself, and it fills up quickly as I download a lot.

EDIT: Just timed it. Boot screen to WoW login: 21 seconds.
    Last edited by mmoc9f29e6783f; 2012-05-12 at 03:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgarroth View Post

Only downside is the size. I have a very low amount of programs installed on the SSD itself, and it fills up quickly as I download a lot.
    Exactly, once 1GB SDD's become available, and won't cost an arm and a leg, i'll get one as I need huge amounts of space.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Yes. The hard drive is the slowest part of any computer. So the faster your hard drive is, the faster your pc overall is. Kingston Hyper X has a nice one on Newegg. Its the fastest bang for your buck.

If you enjoy short loading screens, fast boot time and quick application start up times, then SSD is the right thing for you. If you don't care about that and only care about your in game FPS, then your money is probably better spend elsewhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Exactly, once 1GB SDD's become available, and won't cost an arm and a leg, i'll get one as I need huge amounts of space.
    Just use your current HDD to install programs on.

I can honestly tell you it's honestly worth it, honestly. If you think I'm not being honest with you, you're wrong, I am being very honest.

When I first installed one, I thought "Well, it's faster, but what's all the fuss about? Not that big a deal." And then I had to boot off from my HDD for some reason. And I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". So yea, it's worth it if you want a much faster computer overall. Won't affect your FPS or processing speed, but the rest will improve quite a bit.

Once you go ssd you will never go back!

Trust me I went over my budget in my build to get a 256gb m4 and I would do it again x1000. And a few months later I bought another m4 for my laptop because that slow hard drive was driving me insane. Just remember you will hate using a computer with a hard drive in it after using a ssd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgarroth View Post
    Just use your current HDD to install programs on.
    I've contemplated it as it would solve the space issue, I'm not picky about the load times in games, would prefer to benefit from a significantly snappier OS so it is feasible.

SSD Boot Drive and 1tb+ Storage Drive is very much worth it. my 80g SSD has windows and WoW on it. The 1TB spinning drive has everything else
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirreludecker View Post
    SSD Boot Drive and 1tb+ Storage Drive is very much worth it. my 80g SSD has windows and WoW on it. The 1TB spinning drive has everything else

Pretty much similar except I've got my OS and the game I play the most on my 120g SSD, 1tb internal HDD and then 1.5TB external USB 3.0 drive for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    An SSD is the most overrated and commonly recommended piece of hardware nowadays.

If you absolutely want a snappier/quicker OS and faster loading times in games it's great, but that's all it does.

Many people spread misinformation about it affecting the framerate of games even though it's impossible for it to affect the framerate of a game, it will only affect the loading times.
    i wouldnt say SSD's are overrated. They dont speed up Frame rates, but thats what Video cards do. SSD's are hard drive replacements, not video card replacements. it Can theoretically speed up system processing speed if your HD was the bottleneck that was slowing down your system, but not enough to really notice. Where SSD's really excel is reducing loading times. What else would you want them to do? Expecting them to do more is simply not understanding what the components in your system do.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirreludecker View Post
    i wouldnt say SSD's are overrated. They dont speed up Frame rates, but thats what Video cards do. SSD's are hard drive replacements, not video card replacements. it Can theoretically speed up system processing speed if your HD was the bottleneck that was slowing down your system, but not enough to really notice. Where SSD's really excel is reducing loading times. What else would you want them to do? Expecting them to do more is simply not understanding what the components in your system do.
    You apparently misunderstood me, I was clearing up misinformation that I see people repeat every single day which is that an SSD increases your framerate, and a personal opinion that I find SSD's to not be where I want them to be concerning size and price.

Though, I might be going the route of using an SSD just for the OS and installing every game to one of my HDD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlychap View Post
    2700k @ 4.8 (H100 cooler)
    7970 3Gb @ 1000/5800 (OC edition) yet to OC.
    8Gb 2x4Gb @ 1866
    Z77 Sabertooth
    Cooler Master HAF 32 Advanced
    Cooler Master 1000w Gold Certified PSU
    2 Tb 64mb cache 7200rpm Black Edition (1 Tb x 2)
    27"Asus 2ms 1920x1080p

I've been asking around and people still tell me the SSDs are not worth buying due to the price per gb and the fact they don't actually benefit gaming besides maybe specific mmorpgs. And of course load times.

I plan on getting a 2nd GPU 7970 or selling the 7970 and puttin that towards buying a 690. Depending on what happens in the next few months. If I do that I definitely won't get an SSD.

What do you reckon ?

Anyone who says an SSD is not worth it is a moron. That is the only option for someone saying such a thing. The boot up alone makes an SSD worth it.

Please don't call people morons because they have a different opinion ~ Synthaxx
    Last edited by Chronalis; 2012-05-12 at 04:00 PM.

I have a 96 gb Kingston SSD, this is considered one of the "slow" SSDs and it still loads WoW about twice as fast as my Caviar Black does. (I have WoW installed on my 1tb drive as a backup)
    i5 2500k Powercolor HD 6950
    8gb 1600mhz RAM
    96gb Kingston SSD, 1TB Caviar Black 64mb cache
    Basic P67 motherboard
    800 watt PSU
    NZXT Phantom Case: If you think this case is ugly, you are wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vutar View Post
    Anyone who says an SSD is not worth it is a moron. That is the only option for someone saying such a thing. The boot up alone makes an SSD worth it.
    That's your opinion, people aren't morons for not wanting to pay just to have a faster boot-up time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringgotts View Post
    I have a 96 gb Kingston SSD, this is considered one of the "slow" SSDs and it still loads WoW about twice as fast as my Caviar Black does. (I have WoW installed on my 1tb drive as a backup)
    This is actually helpful information, those are the drives I have, checkout my PC in my sig.

Have 3, love them, best upgrade etc - everything else has been said and I second all the positive stuff.

Had a scan through(?): if not mentioned so far the absolute silence is one of my other favourite bits.

Get one, it's worth it...

I'm thinkin about getting one too soonish, but I was wondering about how much how it is connected affects it. I saw someone mention earlier that they had a slower SATA than the newer one and I am not really sure which I have. I would have to check. I also see people talking about RAID I when talking about SSDs and I do not really know what that is about.