Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelol View Post
    You guys are making me realize that I wouldn't hate to turn on my laptop on if I had a SDD. Fuck... I never knew the perfomance was so much better. I wasn't appealed because of the smaller gbs. But fuck....
    A laptop with an SSD will make even a good desktop without one look like a bitch at launching programs.

1. Buy SSD
    2. Install it beside normal disks
    3. make SSD bootable, copy or install OS to SSD
    4. profit in system speed.
    5. copy games you usually most play
    6. profit in game loading speed (3-4 seconds loading times in wow!!!)
    7. yay
    8. fap

Get a laptop with 2 slots for HDD's. You only have to replace one of them, and still have enough storage space. I used to have one during TBC, not many SSD's on the market at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    6. profit in game loading speed (3-4 seconds loading times in wow!!!)
    I used to have an addon in vanilla that timed my loading screens. Everything maxed I had 40+ seconds loading screens, turning stuff down (not even all the way) and I had 0,x second loading screens. Amazing how the hardware requirements have skyrocketed in WoW over the years.
    Last edited by Raphtheone; 2012-05-14 at 09:00 AM.

Deleted
    After getting my SSD I can't even imagine the horror of 7200rmp HDD load speeds!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Get a laptop with 2 slots for HDD's. You only have to replace one of them, and still have enough storage space. I used to have one during TBC, not many SSD's on the market at that time.

I used to have an addon in vanilla that timed my loading screens. Everything maxed I had 40+ seconds loading screens, turning stuff down (not even all the way) and I had 0,x second loading screens. Amazing how the hardware requirements have skyrocketed in WoW over the years.
    After WoW have loaded the first time then the load times will get decreased significantly, I know it's not vanilla now but when you want to compare load speeds you need to exit them & relaunch to see the real difference :P
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Moved OS to SSD and I will never go back.

For all the people that get inspired by this thread and decide to get an SSD,
    If you have your OS currently on your HDD and you want to install it fresh on your SSD, remember to detach the sata cable from your old HDD before you start installing OS on your SSD, because otherwise the boot info will be on the HDD and it will make your boot times slower.
    If the OS installation detects that there is a HDD with Win Vista/7 boot info, it wont do it again on the SSD
    So if you don't have your old HDD with old OS plugged in before you start installing OS on your SSD, it will write the boot info on the SSD,
    after installing OS it is safe to connect the old HDD (just make sure that you got the boot priorities right). Another thing to remember is to use ACHI mode for your SSD, that way you can use TRIM.
    Last edited by Musta Kyy; 2012-05-14 at 03:34 PM.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Esg View Post
    SSD for sure, I got one for my comp (hitting 5 years in 3 months) and made it feel brand new. Windows loads in 30 seconds and is responsive right away vs 3 mins on my HD, its the best improvement you can get for a computer for the $$. Not to mention there's probably 0 games that can even tax a 7970/690 unless its a fully modded Skyrim and even then I'm not sure.
    30seconds bootup? takes my spinpoint f3 (about 8months old) to bootup 45seconds... SSD not worth it imo, unless ur booting up ur computer alot, and doing some rendering and shit.

Just built my new computer. I previously had a laptop with a 5400rpm on it. New computer has a Kingston 120GB SSD. It is worth paying for it really. Booting is very fast, multitab (20+) browsing is awesome.
    CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3.0) // Corsair AX650 // Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB // Kingston HyperX 120GB
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H WB // Intel 3570K // [HEATSINK?] // Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB // Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB OC
    Dell U2312HM // Logitech Z313 // Logitech C525 // Steelseries Sensei // Steelseries Shift

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ebah View Post
    30seconds bootup? takes my spinpoint f3 (about 8months old) to bootup 45seconds... SSD not worth it imo, unless ur booting up ur computer alot, and doing some rendering and shit.
    Can't really compare two different PC's with different motherboards since motherboards have different boot and post methods. SSD's show more benefit than just the boot time lol. No HDD can touch an SSD's 0.01ms access times (for comparison, an HDD's access time is around 12ms).
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

My friend has a SSD with a few games installs and of course Windows 7 on it.
    The load times are great, but booting up and shutting down in this era of computers is pointless, hibernating a PC is much more efficient then before. People just tend to ignore it and believe a load of false horror stories about hibernating. So buying a SSD solely for fast boot ups and shut downs is quite a throw away of money.

Now for game load times, yes a SSD is wonderful with the right set-up. However if you play games such as WoW where there are hardly any load points except for going into a instance/arena/ or battleground, it really isn't worth the expense then. If you play games with allot of load points then it will be a very nice addition to your PC!

So is it 'really' worth it? I'll be honest and say, no.
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-05-14 at 07:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    My 2 cents:

Laptop for work and travel: yes
    Laptop for gaming that is really just a desktop replacement: no
    Desktop: no

I use SSD's all the time at work and such, and being able to open the laptop and be ready-to-go in 20 seconds from the time i press power is very nice for checking things. My desktop at home is always in sleep so I don't notice it there. Loading games is faster on an SSD, yes, but really, when have you loaded a game that's not single-player and been ready-to-go the instant it loaded? probably never. if you're a huge single-player gamer, the SSD might be worth it.

For me, SSD is a luxury and will remain one until I can get one large enough to store everything on and not have to manage two drives. Though now that I'm not in school anymore an external could just be used to save all my documents to and get a 256GB or 512GB SSD for windows + all my programs.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Your games won't have a faster high end, but it will be more stable, as background operating system chatter will be faster.

If your already running at top speed without a hitch, you won't notice any changes at all in your game, other then load time.

That said, they are still SOOO worth it for general use.

---------- Post added 2012-05-14 at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    For me, SSD is a luxury and will remain one until I can get one large enough to store everything on and not have to manage two drives. Though now that I'm not in school anymore an external could just be used to save all my documents to and get a 256GB or 512GB SSD for windows + all my programs.
    IMO I wouldn't use an SSD for data storage. At least not yet. They simply aren't reliable enough.

But using an external drive for data storage is a good option, and easily expandable.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post

IMO I wouldn't use an SSD for data storage.

But using an external drive for data storage is a good option, and easily expandable.
    Exactly what im doing, usb3 external with a 120gig ssd.

A ssd is night and day, you wont know how amazing they are until you try one. Ive had mine for like 3 months and those loading times still make me smile

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    SSD's are fantastic, I recently bought the 128GB Crucial M4, probably the best thing I've bought for my PC in years. I'm annoyed I didn't get one with more space or a 2nd one... shit loads so fast lol... and I'm not even using mine to it's full capacity (plugged into SATA 2 port, don't have any SATA 3 on my mobo )
    Yup. Same for me, wish I bought a bigger drive, but awesome, AWESOME performance increase on anything relating to Disk I/O (i.e., watch your programs open in less than a second at all times and WoW load times drop to 1-2 seconds.)

I am a computer salesman. I very often show my customers the effect of an ssd. No one ever said. Why would i want to keep my pc fast?
    Hard-disk are fine for reading big files. Such as 8GB movies.
    But when its about starting programs, their is more then 1 file. World of wacraft is split into hundreds of different parts. while a movie is only one.
    This is scatted all over the drive. The physical arm must move all over the damn place witch cost allot of time.

Cores have become 20x faster. Drives have become 2x faster over the last 25 years. Do the math.
    Your PC is as fast as its slowest part.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll only go for SSD's when they have more space and are cheaper.

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB is only $99.99 on newegg today... pretty damned solid deal for those that are on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezron View Post
    I'll only go for SSD's when they have more space and are cheaper.
    They already have 512 GB or more ones. Price is still an issue though... and most annalists believe that the gap between the price of HDD and SSD will still be pretty big even 5 years from now. It may very well be a decade before SSD's become relatively standard.

I will be getting a 120gb SSD with my new laptop. I'm worried because I'm still not sure if that'll be enough, but if it isn't ill just spend 40 bucks on an external drive and YOLO... rofl

EDIT: It seems that getting an SSD will be a good investment