DOTA 2 vs LoL: Questions

Hey everyone! So I'm starting to actually play the dota 2 beta now even though I've been eligible for quite some time, and I now have 4 games under my belt. I'm about a 1.5 year LoL player so I', just curious how I can improve my game in DOTA 2.

I notice that dota is more about roaming the map and ganking others rather than trying to get big and farming in lane for extended periods of time since the enemy loses gold. Also, tower diving is alot safer in dota as it doesn't kill you in 4 hits. In LoL, you have that summer-level talent system for offense, defense, and support but in DOTA I notice my account is leveling up, but there is no talent system that I know of, so what's the point of having a level? I'm just trying to better understand dota so any pointers would be appreciated. Also, it's annoying to have to wait 4 times as long to finally get into a game in dota compared to LoL...
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2012-05-13 at 06:08 AM.

Deleted
    I havn't played Dota at all but remember to creep deny your enemy, you can last hit your own creeps so he doesn't get gold for it.

Tower diving isn't safe in DotA - good enemies can and will carry teleport scrolls at all times and you will quickly find a 2v1 turning into a 2v3 under an enemy tower.

The terrain in DotA is also a lot more useful. There are hills, not only will you miss ranged attacks if you try to fire uphill, they block your vision completely. There are a ton of paths through trees all over the map that people can step around and be completely out of vision, for example, sentinel's bottom lane, someone can run you in circles in range of their tower virtually forever as you slowly die trying to get vision long enough to hit them.

There are too many differences like this to even really think about. DotA2 is in a beta right now, the level system is not implemented. When it IS implemented, it's supposed to work somewhat like the system in WC3 and merely be an at-a-glance indication of "skill" or time invested in playing.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-05-13 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Hey everyone! So I'm starting to actually play the dota 2 beta now even though I've been eligible for quite some time, and I now have 4 games under my belt. I'm about a 1.5 year LoL player so I', just curious how I can improve my game in DOTA 2.

I notice that dota is more about roaming the map and ganking others rather than trying to get big and farming in lane for extended periods of time since the enemy loses gold. Also, tower diving is alot safer in dota as it doesn't kill you in 4 hits. In LoL, you have that summer-level talent system for offense, defense, and support but in DOTA I notice my account is leveling up, but there is no talent system that I know of, so what's the point of having a level? I'm just trying to better understand dota so any pointers would be appreciated. Also, it's annoying to have to wait 4 times as long to finally get into a game in dota compared to LoL...
    The ganking part of DotA is same as LoL. You need to gank(and kill) as much as possible so you can gain advantage. However, it's not all about ganking but also farming as well. Some heroes needs strong farm before actually doing something which we call carries. Carries also need support from team mates as well to provide a safety farming environment. However, you don't need to have a carry to win games in DotA. You can just pick early-game-pwnage heroes and finish the game at min 30-35. Compared to LoL DotA is way more complex in terms of meta-game. You have tons of viable options. You can push, you can defend and wait late game etc. In avarage pubs(public games) tower diving is waaaaaay more safer than LoL because towers do very little damage and newbies don't give a shit to minimap, however, good players would teleport to tower and support their team mates. Also I noticed that denying mechanic scares the shit out of players who play LoL. Let me tell you one thing denying is NOT as important as people think. It has very little to no impact in game. At max you will be 1 level behind and the WORST consequence would be they will kill you once before you get your ultimate. This is it and this means nothing in DotA.

Here is my suggestions for you assuming you know some items and some heroes and how DotA works:
    -Try not to miss last-hits
    -Try not to miss denies(not crucial as people think it is tho. but will improve your timing)
    -Check minimap every 2,3 second.
    -If you're support, supply wards, courier etc.
    -ALWAYS, ALWAYS carry TP scroll
    -Supply dust of appearance, true-sight(was it observer?) wards for invisible heroes.
    -Try to do some easy tricks such as creep-blocking and creep-pulling.(This mechanics have different effects and you need to read about it because blindly doing these tricks will grant you no benefit. You need to know consequence of these actions)
    -DotA has no surrender so try not to leave game
    -I would suggest melee heroes over ranged for newbies