Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Interesting discussion

What drew me into the discworld universe was the same kind of witty wonder and exitement i felt when reading hitchhikers guide to galaxy - that was the colour of magic to me. I really liked experiencing how that whole fantasy universe developed from its first installment. I liked the more academical style with seemengly endless footnotes making up stuff about the universe.

But i have to admit that the later books are far more fluent and easy to read. Also character development is way more detailed and intriguing.

Great series, for me the best books are with Rincewind ;D

I would start with Colour og amgic and then The Light Fantastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    the discworld series got this advantage that you can start reading prettymuch from random book, i got thief of time as my 1st discoworld book from a friend and got hooked up instantly.

Deleted
    As much as I would love to say "The Colour of Magic", I did find that one pretty boring myself at first, and it almost put me off reading the rest! I did come back to it again later to read through again, and appreciated it a lot more!

Night Watch is easily the best book of the series, though a much more recent addition, so I would go along with the suggestion of "Guards, Guards!" as a few other people have suggested. It'll give you enough background and a general idea of the series, I think. I'm also kinda partial to Equal Rites, and that one works pretty well standing by itself. I also adore the books concerning the Witches.

Of course starting anywhere but the beginning means you'll miss a lot of the ongoing jokes and random character cameos, but who knows, you might even appreciate them more! Happy reading!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    the discworld series got this advantage that you can start reading prettymuch from random book, i got thief of time as my 1st discoworld book from a friend and got hooked up instantly.
    that's how I started. My brother gave me thief of time and I decided I needed to read more of these books. Though when I came back and read The colour of magic, a few things about discworld made a little more sense.

Since I didn't start in a chronological order, I'd say, read whatever you want.

I don't enjoy the character Rincewind a lot (he was ok in the football-book), and my favourite character is Death, so I'd say read anything with him.
    But if you're starting with Death, you should read his books in a chronological order.
    Or not, because it really doesn't matter.

As a lot of people already said, all the Guard's Books are also golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    that's how I started. My brother gave me thief of time and I decided I needed to read more of these books. Though when I came back and read The colour of magic, a few things about discworld made a little more sense.
    Thief of time was amazing. I think I enjoyed Kaos the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Start with The Colour of Magic, Equal Rites, than Guards! Guards! for your introduction in the 3 best and most developed storylines imho.
    Than go on with what you liked most.

For Rincewind it's: The Colour of Magic -> The Light Fantastic -> Sourcery -> Eric-> The Last Hero -> The Last Continent - > Interesting Times
    For City Watch it's: Guards! Guards! -> Men at Arms -> Feet of Clay -> Jingo -> Fifth Elephant -> Night Watch -> Thud! -> Snuff
    And finally for the Witches it's: Equal Rites -> Wyrd Sisters -> Witches Abroad -> Lord's and Ladies -> Maskerade -> Carpe Jugulum

Sadly Witches seems to be replaced with Tiffany Aching, so I prefer Sam and his City Watch now.

I'm not a big fan of the Tiffany Aching or Lipwig archs.
    The Susan Sto Helit stories are fine, start "indirect" with Mort and Reaper Man than: Soul Music -> Hogfather -> Thief of Time

Don't dare to skip "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents" a really cute fairy-tale. Made me warm and fuzzy inside haha.
    Last edited by Mistral; 2012-05-13 at 06:20 PM.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Deleted
    I could never imagine reading the books in any other order than they came out, but it is true that the books change a little after the first few. If someone isn't up for the long haul it may be better to introduce them to with something like "Guards Guards". That the Discworld series take place in a fantasy worlds isn't really the point of the books, it is just a setting for some awesome books that cover comedy, crime, folklore etc. etc. I think people who would generally not read fantasy could like the series.

I re-read the books now and then and I enjoy them every time. They're pretty quick to read even if English isn't your first language and I'd never dream of reading a Swedish translation anyway. I saw the cartoon for Soul Music once and it was ok, but I only saw the start of Wyrd Sisters before I turned it off, I didn't like the way the'd done it at all. I've yet to watch any of the BBC filmed versions though.

The books led me to the Discworld MUD where I spent 8 years and I got to know people from all over the world. In 2006 I moved on to WoW with some of them.

Hehe, interesting discussion indeed.

Luckily the individual books aren't very large, so maybe the choice of what to read first is not that critical. I might order The Colour of Magic as well as Guards! Guards! and then let a coin toss decide between the two ^^
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

My advice would actually be to get the 'The Colour of Magic' and 'The Light Fantastic' graphic novels. They're a very easy way to break into the Discworld stories and they've got some fantastic art to them. They're very quick reads and extremely entertaining.