Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    My only gripe with the engineer, specifically a cannon engineer is that I find the charge bar is kind of a useless mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdecker View Post
    Thank you

resetskills on console worked perfectly.
    No problem, I happened across the thread while investigating whether the mod editor had been released (spoiler: it hasn't).
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I still feel like the difficulty isn't high enough for Elite mode. Also the stat/gear system is pretty shallow. Overall the game is wonderful!

Everything feels so tight, precise. Anytime I die, I messed up. Monsters are interesting to fight, bosses are spectacular. The sheer speed of the game is phenomenal in the particular way high level D2 characters felt.

TL2 may be a nearly perfect game. Holy smokes.
    How do you do to not make Elite not be a giant effing kitefest? Because that's really what turns me away from that difficulty, it's just too boring. Kiting isn't fun, it's a chore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Any other berserker around here playing on Elite ? how are you staying alive ? for me its Shadow Burst spam 50% of the time ~.~

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdecker View Post
    Any other berserker around here playing on Elite ? how are you staying alive ? for me its Shadow Burst spam 50% of the time ~.~
    At low level your crits can't sustain you just yet, so yeah, you'll likely have to be spamming burst a lot. I also don't see how one would survive otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    I'm going to overanalyze a bit here, but I don't think TL2 is a nearly perfect game at all. It does what it intends to do VERY well, but it does very little to go outside the box. A perfect game would be one you couldn't imagine the entire medium having existed without for so long. TL2 is more like Endless Space in that regard. It almost executes its genre perfectly, but missteps at important parts (for Endless Space, the combat was the misstep; TL2's misstep seems to be the lack of difficulty).
    Solo player elite isn't that bad, everything just takes a while to kill (embermage is pretty good at kiting things to death). But add in a few people and it sky rockets like no freaking tomorrow. I went from elite solo to 4-6 veteran and the sheer scaling makes it much much harder. But I think hit and run type of tactics and smart debuffing are what makes it really really good. You don't always notice it in multiplayer, but someone using one spell that applies an effect can turn the tide of any fight. I'd say that it is nearly perfect. For an ARPG, too much out of the box and too much polish makes a game bland. I might point you to http://www.destructoid.com/diablo-ii...i-229923.phtml to give a little more perspective. (I only draw the comparison given that people call D3 a perfect game).
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Deleted
    what the... So I made a private game for me and a couple friends, I ticked the "Friends only" box, and also set a password, while waiting for them to get their shit together, I alt tabbed did some internet browsing, went to make a coffee, when I came back, I found a random level 100 engineer in my game, who had spawned ALL THE THINGS in the town, and I mean literally so much shit there was not a free space on the screen and my frame rate dropped to like 3 fps.

How the hell did he get into my game?

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    what the... So I made a private game for me and a couple friends, I ticked the "Friends only" box, and also set a password, while waiting for them to get their shit together, I alt tabbed did some internet browsing, went to make a coffee, when I came back, I found a random level 100 engineer in my game, who had spawned ALL THE THINGS in the town, and I mean literally so much shit there was not a free space on the screen and my frame rate dropped to like 3 fps.

How the hell did he get into my game?
    hax. Seriously, you might want to see if you can open a ticket. Sounds like something bad.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

So can anyone explain to me how damage in this game works?

I am playing veteran on an outlander, i've got something like 200-300 damage on both pistols, when i attack mobs or the dummy, i constantly hit for something like 2,2,2,5,5,11,2,3,5,50!,80,100,2,3,5,5,5. Crits are somewhere between 40 and 300 damage. No fumbles, fumble is 3% atm, due to my pistol bonuses.

I just don't understand how the damage in this game works.

I'm going to overanalyze a bit here, but I don't think TL2 is a nearly perfect game at all. It does what it intends to do VERY well, but it does very little to go outside the box. A perfect game would be one you couldn't imagine the entire medium having existed without for so long.
    No, that would be a quintessential game of the genre. Such as Symphony of the Night or Quake. Neither which are perfect from a DD/T standpoint. That's sorta what make them brilliant- they aren't. Though they are defining games.

Originality and/or innovation have no bearing on gameplay execution.

It almost executes its genre perfectly, but missteps at important parts (for Endless Space, the combat was the misstep; TL2's misstep seems to be the lack of difficulty).
    Difficulty is a personal call though. That too is not a factor in how well the gameplay is accomplished.

Although I would like a slightly harder game. Admittedly I may be in the minority here as my preferred ARPGs are very steep and punishing. Again, this is merely my own personal musing. So it's not too important.

That said there are no glaring contradictory systems that I can see so far. And all core and secondary aspects function [seemingly] flawlessly; skill selection [core], finding an MP game [secondary], keybinding [secondary], enchanting [core], etc. It all works but also within the logic of the design.

Really struggling to see some design flaws, broken or contradictory game systems. I suppose the prevalence of cheaters in MP games can be one-- but the design doesn't enforce competition. So it's largely irrelevant if XxTwoGunzBlazingXX has modded 9k DPS pistols.

Just an incredibly tight game. Leaning strongly here that TL2 might be perfectly designed in the vein of MMX, LoZ or OoT. Really can't say the same of TL1. That game was mired by design flaw.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-09-23 at 12:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dual-wielding engineer, mainly using Flame Hammer. With the 30% passive bonus, plus more from gear, it spreads out and does a ton of damage. The tiers for skills don't make any sense. You start off with Tier 1 activated, but tier 2 hasn't yet. Do I have to fill out the tier to activate its ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    So can anyone explain to me how damage in this game works?

I am playing veteran on an outlander, i've got something like 200-300 damage on both pistols, when i attack mobs or the dummy, i constantly hit for something like 2,2,2,5,5,11,2,3,5,50!,80,100,2,3,5,5,5. Crits are somewhere between 40 and 300 damage. No fumbles, fumble is 3% atm, due to my pistol bonuses.

I just don't understand how the damage in this game works.
    Better than not seeing damage at all. I don't see damage on the target dummy except crits.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

Better than not seeing damage at all. I don't see damage on the target dummy except crits.
    You can enable that in the options menu.

Dual-wielding engineer, mainly using Flame Hammer. With the 30% passive bonus, plus more from gear, it spreads out and does a ton of damage. The tiers for skills don't make any sense. You start off with Tier 1 activated, but tier 2 hasn't yet. Do I have to fill out the tier to activate its ability.
    You do not start with Tier 1 activated. You complete a tier by putting five points into the skill and the tiers are just meant to be a little bonus for investing into a single skill.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do not start with Tier 1 activated. You complete a tier by putting five points into the skill and the tiers are just meant to be a little bonus for investing into a single skill.
    But it's been lit up the whole time.

I'm going to overanalyze a bit here, but I don't think TL2 is a nearly perfect game at all. It does what it intends to do VERY well, but it does very little to go outside the box. A perfect game would be one you couldn't imagine the entire medium having existed without for so long. TL2 is more like Endless Space in that regard. It almost executes its genre perfectly, but missteps at important parts (for Endless Space, the combat was the misstep; TL2's misstep seems to be the lack of difficulty). To be fair, at least Runic didn't try to do something too amazingly out-of-the-water like Diablo III did with the RMAH and all legendary items being weaker than rares and fail at it. It just succeed at those risks either is my point.

Of course, the modding is a HUGE draw for the game and I'm hoping for a mod to come out in short order that increases the level cap and fixes the difficulties. Later on, there will NEED to be at least one mod that adds an entire new level of items. Three classes of items just don't cut it for me.
    I loved Endless Spaces combat The cinematic feel to it was so nice. Made me feel like I was playing battlestar galactica.

10+ Year Old Account
    This game has been out for 2 days and people are already 100? O_O

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

But it's been lit up the whole time.
    What's been lit up the whole time? Are you talking about passive skills? Those don't have tiers.

Edit: P.S.: Also: There's a workaround and post about the Steam sync problem.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=35175

Steamcloud automatically uploads your saved characters and settings files, and then retrieves them later so that all your characters are available on every computer you play on. Sometimes it can get out of sync and isn't sure which file is newest, the one on your hard drive or the one uploaded to the cloud. It will then ask you whether you want to overwrite your local file with the cloud file, or upload your local file to the cloud.

What you pick here is important. If you're only playing on one computer, then you'll always want to keep your local file and upload it because it will always be the newest. If you're playing on more than one computer, then the cloud file may be a new one from the other computer and you'll want that one.

If you pick the wrong one and see that your character isn't the right level on the main menu, then there's still a way to recover, as long as you don't load that character. Again: don't load a character if you can see a problem with it! There's a backup of the character on your hard drive which you can use to fix the problem, but that backup will be overwritten as soon as the character is loaded.

If you need to restore a character, here's how:
    - Don't load the character
    - Close the game
    - Open up the folder containing your TL2 saved games: \Documents\My Games\Runic Games\torchlight 2\save\#bignumber#\
    - Look for your character's save. It will look like: CharacterName_(GUID).svb
    - Move that file to your desktop or another folder to get it out of the way
    - Look for another file named: CharacterName_(GUID).restore
    - Duplicate that file and change that file's name to the .svb file's name
    Be careful loading your characters and be careful with the Steam cloud.
    Last edited by Truhan; 2012-09-23 at 03:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the game but my 1 big gripe about it is that the classes seem a fair bit unbalanced.

I'm playing MP with 2 other friends (Elite difficulty), my lvl 31 tank+minion spec Engineer just breezes through everything, I just stand there, tank stuff and throw mines and turrets, while keeping shields up. It feels way too easy for being the hardest difficulty level. I very rarely die, if I do it's usually to some kind of oneshot mechanic that I wasn't paying attention to.
    Where as my lvl 34 Outlander with summoning spec does LESS overall damage, not to mention it's squishy as hell and usually gets 2 or 3 shotted by even regular mobs. I realize it may be due to my spec choice but summoning spec really feels abysmally bad. Still I doubt my spec choice alone could make up for that difference. It feels like something's very wrong when Veteran difficulty feels challenging as Outlander, while Elite difficulty feels too easy as Engineer.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's been lit up the whole time? Are you talking about passive skills? Those don't have tiers.
    No, Tier one had been lit up as soon as I took one point in the skill, at least I thought it did. It seems to be correct now, but I swear it was giving me Tier One bonuses early.

Any outlanders out there wanna share their stats/talents? Currently favoring high dex build, duel pistols.I was also wondering is dodge mastery worth it( considering using it, IF it counts for range attacks/aoe as well) and also is posion burst any good? I'm loving this class atm, but its seems like we are very squishy, even at range.