Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Is the demo still available and where can I find it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm definitely picking up Torchlight 2. I loved the first game and have even started playing it again while waiting for Diablo 3. Jumping back into it made me rethink my D3 class choice. I'd been planning on playing monk in D3 until last night, but my Torchlight character is a caster with tons of minions. Tough choices.

If you pre-order Torchlight 2 from Steam right now, you get the original for free. Considering the sequel is only $19.99, it's a great deal even if you've never heard of the game.

I was lucky enough to get a beta invite a few days ago, and I must say... Torchlight 2 is much, much better than the first.

Not only that, compared to the Diablo 3 beta (yes, small as it was) it feels much more Diablo like than the actual sequel. The worlds are huge in comparison to what you encounter in Diablo 3, and they're more akin to Diablo 2 in terms of how open they are. I'm sure Diablo 3 will be different in the later acts, but the Torchlight 2 beta which allows you to go up to level 21 out of 100 and do act 1 is pretty frigging good.

Also, because there's 4 difficulties, ( Casual, Normal, Veteran, Elite ) you don't have to wait until the late game for it to get hard. It's damn challenging on Elite from the get-go.

A few problems I had with it is that I play hardcore exclusively, and the enemies can crit, so bad RNG = death of character. But the new additions like the unique charge bars for each class, the new classes and the talents are all pretty intuitive and fun.

And it's only $20.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Torchlight was OK, but D3 is now here to show it how it should be done.

I would like to point out that, Torchlight 1-2 is made by the guys that made Diablo 1-2, Max Schaefer and Erich Schaefer (co-designers of Diablo and Diablo II) and former heads of Blizzard North.
    The music in the game is made by the same person that made the music in Diablo 1-2, Matt Uelmen.

I find it strange when people call Torchlight a Diablo clone, when the game is made by the same people that made Diablo what it is today.

"Blizzard North was originally an independent company. It was established in 1993 under the name Condor, founded by Max Schaefer, Erich Schaefer, and David Brevik. The company was purchased and renamed by Blizzard about six months before the release of their hit PC game, Diablo, in 1996."

They don´t "need" to be "shown" how its done...... they have already proved that when they made Diablo 1-2.
    Last edited by Torched; 2012-05-13 at 04:54 PM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Can't wait for this. One of my personal faves, I sunk many hours into TL1 and Fate. Love the feel, genre and art style. Just a great, great fun. Pre-ordered and waiting excitedly.

Shouldn't really be compared to D3. If you are playing only one ARPG- fair enough. I enjoy playing many games- Path of Exile, D3, Torchlight, Titan's Quest. Same genre, different games. Enjoy them for what they are individually.

The notion we only have room in our lives for 1 FPS, 1 MMO, 1 ARPG, etc- is silly.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-13 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    They don´t "need" to be "shown" how its done...... they have already proved that when they made Diablo 1-2.
    Now tell me what they proved with Hellgate: London and mediocre Torchlight. You know, the games they made after they left Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Now tell me what they proved with Hellgate: London and mediocre Torchlight. You know, the games they made after they left Blizzard.
    Opinions.

I found Torchlight awesome fun for $20, I played the shit out of it. Hellgate: London wasn't bad, but mishandled.

Torchlight 2 is very very good so far, and comparing the betas to one another, it's not only more fun than the Diablo 3 beta, it's more challenging, and more Diablo like.

Most people will just get both anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerts View Post
    Opinions.

I found Torchlight awesome fun for $20, I played the shit out of it. Hellgate: London wasn't bad, but mishandled.

Torchlight 2 is very very good so far, and comparing the betas to one another, it's not only more fun than the Diablo 3 beta, it's more challenging, and more Diablo like.

Most people will just get both anyway.
    So good that people are already talking how will they mod it after launch? Thats some trust in development.

So good that people are already talking how will they mod it after launch? Thats some trust in development.
    WHAT???

That is one of the most outright nonsensical statements I ever seen posted.

Torchlight as a franchise has always supported modding & custom content. That is one of the appeals of the game as it is with say, The Elder Scrolls [which people mod intensely] or the editor of Titan Quest [same genre]. Diablo 2 was richly modded as well.

This makes literally no sense as a slight against a franchise where modding is encouraged and supported.

I played the original without mods, but the way you're presenting your argument sounds like modding is a bad thing.

It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerts View Post
    I played the original without mods, but the way you're presenting your argument sounds like modding is a bad thing.

It's not.
    Sure, mods are a good thing. As a side thing, to make the game live a little bit longer. Not when it is supposed to keep it alive at all.

Especialy with fanbase that doesnt even know what the hell it wants.

Guys, just as a warning/reminder, let's not turn this into a D3 vs. Torchlight 2 thread.

Deleted
    Got access to the beta for this and been playing it for 3 days. It runs on the same engine as 1 but it still looks better.A lot of outside areas make it a world instead of the underground level system that the 1st has.

Looking forward to help runic make this game flawless.

Sure, mods are a good thing. As a side thing, to make the game live a little bit longer. Not when it is supposed to keep it alive at all.

Mods won't keep the game alive though. They'll be a fun addition to the game, but not necessary. Torchlight was a fine game without mods, and with mods, there was just more stuff. If I hadn't used mods at all, it still would've been fun. The game itself is great, standalone. Just because people are looking forward to modding the game, that doesn't mean that they wouldn't play it without the mods.

My computer programming teacher has nothing bad to say about this game, as he has been testing it over the past few weeks. (He is close friends with Runic.)

He is even rewarding the top 3 programmers in our class with a copy of the game.
    Last edited by Chaochamp; 2012-05-13 at 11:32 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    got my beta invite on friday but haven't had any time to play or even download it yet..this coming week i will and i'll report back
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siron View Post
    Is the demo still available and where can I find it?
    Its currently in Beta phase, the only way to get ahold of a Beta account is by singning up to their website at www.torchlight2game.com.
    If you 'Like' them on facebook im sure they will be doing some beta giveaway comps soon.

---------- Post added 2012-05-14 at 04:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The notion we only have room in our lives for 1 FPS, 1 MMO, 1 ARPG, etc- is silly.
    100% couldn't agree more!

That's an incredibly dense thing to say. Is Skyrim a bad game because it allows mods? Is WoW a bad game because it allows addons? Is Portal 2 a bad game because it has an editor?

What makes you think that mods in Torchlight 2 are designed to keep the game alive and not just make it last longer? Based on those available for the first game, some will be tweaks (same as Skyrim; changing some stat values, abilities, graphics mods, just optional tweaks that some users might prefer) while some will introduce entirely new classes and other content. You cannot say that is a bad thing.

Edit: Actually, going through your post history it's clear you just like trolling about Torchlight.
    Runic cant make anything original without it being epic failure. Glad they got kicked out of Blizzard.
    Last edited by Kalesh; 2012-05-14 at 09:15 AM.

I'm definitely looking forward to this game. I haven't prepurchased, only because I hope there's a collector's edition.

Torchlight was basically a single player demo to generate revenue to fund the development of Torchlight 2. They wisely decided to opt against an MMO forumla for TL2 which was in dicussion at one point IIRC.

I love the art design, and the Matt Uelman soundtrack for the original torchlight I loved. He's one of my favorite game composers, and honestly I miss his ethereal touch to the WoW soundtrack since he left.

I'm also looking forward to the pet mechanics (extra storage, extra bags) and 8 player multiplayer.

Going to be the gaming deal of the year at only $20.

I'm definitely getting TL2. I remember the modding community in BG2, and it was awesome. I modded the hell out of that game, and I bet is going to be a really good thing in TL2.
    Can't effing wait.
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.