Need a bit of medical advice?

I've had slight pins and needles in my left hand (only on the left side of it) for the past 2 days, my hand is still fully functional, it's causing me no pain and it hasn't got any worse or any better since it started. My mum keeps telling me it's because I must of slept on my hand funny (even though it's been this way for 2 days or so) and said she'll make me a doctors appointment if I'm that worried, am I just being paranoid or has anyone experience something similar to this and know it's bad?

Edit: I'm 16 if that helps anything.

Thanks
    Last edited by -Skye; 2012-05-13 at 11:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go see a doctor. Pins and needles are usually temporary and caused by pressure cutting off blood supply to nerves, the nerves in turn can't send signals but all returns to normal when pressure is relieved.
    If it lasts for more than a few minutes or is recurring it can mean several things like a trapped nerve, vitamin deficiency or even diabetes. If it doesn't go away go see a doctor.
    Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.

Deleted
    This is the same advice I always give when people ask about medical matters. Go and see a Doctor, even the best Doctors cannot diagnose you over an internet forum, they need to examine you.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2012-05-13 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    I've had slight pins and needles in my left hand (only on the left side of it) for the past 2 days, my hand is still fully functional, it's causing me no pain and it hasn't got any worse or any better since it started. My mum keeps telling me it's because I must of slept on my hand funny (even though it's been this way for 2 days or so) and said she'll make me a doctors appointment if I'm that worried, am I just being paranoid or has anyone experience something similar to this and know it's bad?

Edit: I'm 16 if that helps anything.

Thanks
    Pins and needles in your left hand only on the left side? Sounds like a symptom for roughly over 9000 different diseases that could possibly kill you.

In other words the internet is the last place you want to look for information....many different DEADLY things share symptoms with harmless problems...which is why reading internet is bad because you'll think you've got aids or something.

I'm a proud virgin, no STD's here :P But yeah your all right, I've got a doctors appointment made, thanks

Do you work out a lot ? How many tranining sessions per week ?

This could be caused by too hard training regiment.

The solution is to get either more rest or more quality food.

It's hard to diagnose over the internet because we know none of your medical history, your best bet is to see a doctor

10+ Year Old Account
    it must be lupus, call dr house ^^

Left side of you hand as in your pinky and ring finger? that is not carpal tunnel but your ulnar nerve, you have probably been leaning on your elbow on the table in an odd manor at the computer, the nerve is on the inside of your elbow. Like everyone says if it persists go see a doctor.

I've had the same symptoms more times than I can count. I was pretty worried the 1st couple times, but I don't even pay much attention to it anymore. I'm not a doctor, so don't take anything I saw as such, but I suspect Afrospinach is on the right track. At least that's what it was for me every time out. I have poor posture and spend an unhealthy amount of time in front of computers (both at work and at home). My issue was labeled 'nerve compression' which is like a pinched nerve but not as severe. Definitely a good idea to see a doctor to be sure it's something harmless like what happened to me. On the off chance that it's not something like nerve compression, you'll want your doctor to guide you through whatever it may be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    it must be lupus, call dr house ^^
    Made me laugh

Deleted
    Just work out your hand, make sure it has good blood flow - masturbate with your left to solve the problems.

Could be anything from stress/high blood pressure to something like a trapped nerve. Good news with it being only in one side. That probably rules out anything cardiac. Go see a doctor though. There are a lot of things it could be and the only way you will get an answer is by seeing your local doctor. If that is your only symptom I would lean towards some sort of strain that. Stop worrying about what it MIGHT be and go see a doctor. Stop thinking in a negative loop. At your age and if you are moderately healthly it is very unlikely to be anything serious. But! Get it checked out, you will get peace of mind. The longer you leave it the more negative the thoughts will get until your symptoms become totally psychological.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Left side of you hand as in your pinky and ring finger? that is not carpal tunnel but your ulnar nerve, you have probably been leaning on your elbow on the table in an odd manor at the computer, the nerve is on the inside of your elbow. Like everyone says if it persists go see a doctor.
    This has happened to me frequently, and it will persist if I lean on that elbow too much or fall asleep in my recliner. Doctors can be expensive and time consuming, since you're only 16 you might just want to pay attention with how you sit or lean for a day and see if that improves.
    Wikipedia is not a reference for anything.