Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    Her voice is indeed amazing (imo), might roll a Sylvari later on. But Asura will be my main! <3
    Yeah, I'll be rolling one later. But I love my mutant-kitties too much.

<3 Charr!

Hmm, while Jennifer Hale is great, her voice doesn't seem like it would fit a Sylvari. I know she has played a lot of roles but I always will think of Fem Sheppard when I hear her voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    Hey,

So I just read that sylvari female will be voiced by Jennifer Hale, the actress who voiced Bastila Shan, Shepard, female trooper in sw tor and leah in diablo 3.

Is that the reason enough to roll one sylvari female for you ?

I personally bought first mass effect only because that I learned that she voiced the main character.

Your thoughts ?

Would you roll additional character to hear her voice while leveling or would that be your main ?

For me it probably will be my main.
    No, because I am not a stalker and do not have a voice fetish. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Hmm, while Jennifer Hale is great, her voice doesn't seem like it would fit a Sylvari. I know she has played a lot of roles but I always will think of Fem Sheppard when I hear her voice.
    Maybe because you first heard her voice in mass effect. I personally heard her voice first in Jedi Academy, then in kotor and then in mass effect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Don't see the fuss really, they're still every elven stereotype ever rolled into one shamelessly typical race; that is, Elves, on an MMO.
    No. They're not. O_o

The most striking difference, imo, is how young the Sylvari are, when elves are usually an ancient race that have been around forever and are supposedly some wise and all-knowing people. The Sylvari, as a race, are only 25 years old in the lore, and thus are less experienced in the world than anybody else. Curious and naive both.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    Maybe because you first heard her voice in mass effect. I personally heard her voice first in Jedi Academy, then in kotor and then in mass effect.
    Well not true, I also played Kotor when it first came out (and Baldur's Gate before that). But now she is just synonymous with Commander Sheppard to me.

---------- Post added 2012-05-13 at 01:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Don't see the fuss really, they're still every elven stereotype ever rolled into one shamelessly typical race; that is, Elves, on an MMO.
    How so? Other than their affinity to nature I see no resemblance to typical elves (Tolkein elves at any rate).

10+ Year Old Account
    I first heard her as sheena fujibayashi from tales of symphonia, and that's how I usually remember her.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well not true, I also played Kotor when it first came out (and Baldur's Gate before that). But now she is just synonymous with Commander Sheppard to me.
    I had to google this:

Not being a ME fan/player. Renegade Sheppard is just like my Evil Bounty Hunter! Looks fun!

Maybe I will buy ME2-3 when on sale. Are they good for PC or crummy port w/ console controls? -_-

If anything I'd avoid playing a Sylvari female because of her. Like others have mentioned, probably due to the ME series and SWTOR, I associate her voice with being a soldier (plus my renegade ME character was the female); it just doesn't seem all that appropriate for a Sylvari to me. Too authoritative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Maybe I will buy ME2-3 when on sale. Are they good for PC or crummy port w/ console controls? -_-
    They were pretty good on the PC imo. The console versions were shit as far as controls. And there's this obnoxious skipping when shit is loading.

They aren't bad a bad port. It's definitely a series in which I highly recommend (except for the ME3 ending). If you enjoy story telling in the BioWare mold then it is a must have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Not being a ME fan/player. Renegade Sheppard is just like my Evil Bounty Hunter! Looks fun!

Renegade Femshep is the way to go. Great on PC. ME2 was my favorite by far, definitely worth buying. Playing through it again as we speak. The ending to 3 sucks. Tremendously. So just fair warning.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

Okay, I'll give the series an honest shot again. Keeping an eye out for sales.

Also, trees are pretty. <-- relevant GW2 discussion in a vague and open ended way.

Deleted
    why would you ever choose a race depending on whose voice it is?

Deleted
    Hey, it's the sole reason why I'm playing a trooper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    The sylvari lore says otherwise. The issue Is that almost every mmo has elves as a playable race and arena net decided to Take another root(lol) and people just aren't use to having a different race so they say there the elves when they are nothing like them.
    Saying Sylvari are nothing like Elves is like saying Asura are nothing like Gnomes.

Technically correct but for all intents and purposes...absolutely wrong.

I fell in love with her voice when I played Mass Effect. If she's voicing a race in Guild Wars 2... Well, I had no intention to play the game, but now I just might purely for Hale. She is that awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    why would you ever choose a race depending on whose voice it is?
    It's a factor in most of my selections...but not a dealbreaker or dealmaker But in GW2 the voice acting plays a larger role due to personal story...so might as well pick something you like listening to.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, I can see the GW2 commercials now. "Play Guild Wars 2! Jennifer Hale is in it!"

I'll never understand people that think 'insert any given voice actor here' is a reason to play a game, a specific class, race or character in any game - that opinion extending to the people that decide to watch a particular animation because of 'insert voice actor here', or choosing one dub over another because of 'insert voice actor here'.. Who the person is doesn't mean a bloody thing. I could care less about voice acting in the first place, text is more than enough for me - the people that don't seem to get full motion video, surround sound and borderline senses of smell and taste from reading are absolutely odd to me (seriously, there must be something wrong with their brains).

If voice acting has to be there, all I care about is whether it's well done or not. The names and faces of the people involved be damned, I'd rather never know they exist. It's just another form of celebrity worship, and the people that follow the lives and careers of celebrities? Seriously? They make me sick.

-

If I play a Sylvari it will be because they're worth playing. The end.