Poll: A new genre for ME.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If the next Mass Effect game was a new genre...

Assuming the game would maintain its incredible story telling methods and mechanics.

Personally,

an mmo would be cool because the universe is so damn cool and the races are awesome but quite frankly it would have to be so out there and different to make it in the mmo market. I would want it to be a 3rd person shooter mmo.

RTS, mehhhhh.

FPS, They were originally gonna have the Me3 multiplayer be fps but IDK. Once again this would have to be radical and stand out from other fps's or else there would little reason for the change in genre.

Honestly, if they pulled of a Cinematic game, like heavy rain, and they did it well, then it would be very interesting. Firstly because, lets be honest, the current combat is still mediocre so it wouldnt be missing that much, and secondly it would ramp up the intensity and story telling. Of course, they would need to have a new protagonist or story because shepard is a shooter first. This would be interesting

Also tell me if you have any other ideas!
    Last edited by looopy; 2012-05-13 at 07:57 PM.
    I thought Dragon Age 2 was innovative and groundbreaking!
    lol >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    I don't think an MMO would work. I'm not sure why but I think Mass Effect would lose something by becoming an MMO.

RTS would actually be pretty fun.

Not sure what you mean by cinematic game so I'm going to go look up Heavy Rain now.

Personally I would prefer Mass Effect to be kept in the same sort of format that it is now. I understand why people had problems in 1 and maybe even 2, but Mass Effect 3's gameplay was brilliant.
    Don't get me wrong I love Mass Effect the way it is. And they definitely tightened up the controls by the 3rd installment but my only problem is that its so repetitive. After beating the campaign (my favorite game of all time) and mowing down my 12,675th cerberus trooper, or something like that, I just had nothing left in me to play the multiplayer.

Also I'm more saying in a hypothetical situation where for some reason bioware was determined to jump into a new genre, not that they need to.
    lol >.>

Deleted
    To me Mass Effect is all about the story, the action just helps the immersion so i'd go with a cinematic jobby.

Not sure where it would take place, maybe post-ME3 as we explore life without the relays (I liked the ending, lets get that off the floor) or even during the first contact war, maybe from the perspectives of both the citadel races, maybe the Turians, and the humans.

MMO might work as we already have the trademark classes and races to work with, Infiltrator, vanguard ect and we have the humans, asari, turian, krogan blah blah.

Story could be incorporated into quests and such but getting the right mix of story-telling and fun, 3rd person shooter combat that isn't hindered by lag any anything else would be the real challenge

That's true, it is very repetitive. I still play the multiplayer but I get bored quite a lot on it. They should add new enemies to it. Mercs would work really well..

& Just done a quick check up on Heavy Rain and I do suppose that could work. I'd rather see an RTS before that though
    Im just not much of an RTS guy as you can probably tell but I suppose the universe is perfect for it.

Whatever it is, I want either a movie or a new game to cover the contact wars. I need it now!
    lol >.>

I don't think an MMO would work. I'm not sure why but I think Mass Effect would lose something by becoming an MMO.

RTS would actually be pretty fun.

Not sure what you mean by cinematic game so I'm going to go look up Heavy Rain now.

Personally I would prefer Mass Effect to be kept in the same sort of format that it is now. I understand why people had problems in 1 and maybe even 2, but Mass Effect 3's gameplay was brilliant.
    I agree, Mass Effect would likely suck as an MMO. BioWare turned KOTOR into an MMO (SWTOR) and look how THATS working out >.>

I would LOVE a movie. Not sure about contact wars though.

One of my favourite parts about Mass Effect is biotics, and in the contact wars there wouldn't be a lot of them running around
    Didn't think about that, although think about it from the average persons perspective.

Hypothetical:

Random guy who knows nothing about mass effect goes to see the movie "Mass Effect: Contact" and he would watch like a timeline of events from 2020-2150 playout. It would be cool to watch as the first humans go to mars and discover the mass relays and to watch these tall "quarians" rip humanity a new one. People would be like wtf are these guys? there so much backstory and if they nailed it, it could be so awesome. Watching the asari, krogan, quarians, turians being introduced for the first time. If they pulled it off I think it would expand the Mass effect fanbase far more than a mirror of the first game.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to.../index/2717410

Last edited by looopy; 2012-05-13 at 08:49 PM.
    lol >.>

Deleted
    RTS.. might give it a try. I would still heavily prefer it as RPG though.

If it's a MMO, I don't know, WoW/Everquest/generic MMO nr. 667 clone, no thanks, but if it's something new and original, maybe.

Other genres don't interest me at all so even it's ME, I wouldn't buy it.

I honestly cannot imagine Mass Effect as any other type of game. At least, not without ruining it entirely, even assuming it kept its incredible story telling methods and mechanics.

15+ Year Old Account
    RTS would be cool, but the gameplay would have to be extraordinary for it to succeed, unless Bioware somehow manages to make an RTS where gameplay is secondary to story and characters. Starcraft II set the bar for sci-fi RTS games pretty damn high, and I'm not sure Bioware could top it.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Deleted
    I agree completely, but I think they should change the plot ever so slightly so that the war has the Council involved as opposed to just the Turians.
    That would be a brilliant way to really introduce Asari, Salarians and Turians. (+ biotics <3) and at that time, I believe Batarians were also council members.
    actually, Batarians were never council members. they had an embassy, but they weren't seated on the Citadel Council. once Humanity started colonizing the Skyllian Verge, the Batarians got into a conflict with the Citadel, closed their embassy and cut all political and economical ties.

too bad they did so, because they were the first to get hit by the Reapers. if they were still part of the Citadel, they could have had a larger influence on the outcome.

on-topic: i'd love to actually have an actual space exploration game in the ME universe. something like Freelancer, Freespace, or, for the younger ones, Darkstar one.

5th option:
    hopefully the next ME game has the RPG elements of ME 1 and the comabt from ME 3

combat is so-so in ME 1, RPG (conversations) in ME 3 suck (so friggin much auto-dialog), almost nothing is auto-dialoged in ME 1
    Last edited by jonte912; 2012-05-13 at 09:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    too bad they did so, because they were the first to get hit by the Reapers. if they were still part of the Citadel, they could have had a larger influence on the outcome.
    I don't think the Batarians would have fared much better if they were part of the Citadel. Maybe there'd be a couple of high ranking officials on the Citadel that were thus able to survive, but their home systems got absolutely roflstomped in no time at all when the Reapers arrived. I doubt connections to the Citadel would have helped much at that point.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

It would of course depend on the mechanics, but I think the Mass Effect universe would actually be great for a MMO. It has enough variety and different interesting things going on that it would work pretty well. Also having a whole galaxy means they could basically develop anything they wanted as content. As long as they avoided the planet of hats trope, I'd lurve it.

Deleted
    I'm more interested in what new IP Bioware might bring out, i'm hoping for something cyberpunkish, ala deus ex, but obviously not deus ex. Or that they go back to Jade Empire even if they don't make JE2 but something Asian-inspired could be fun, as long as it isn't a jrpg.

On the topic at hand, I wouldn't mind either RTS or cinematic game really. Both could lend themselves well to the IP. But an fps would just be another fps, and a mmo... well we have enough of those as it is.

Deleted
    If they do a mmo i hope they follow the ME3 mp and have you be a nameless soldier and not like most MMOs and have you be a super hero along with the million other players.

4x RTS.

Homeworld Style.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    It would of course depend on the mechanics, but I think the Mass Effect universe would actually be great for a MMO. It has enough variety and different interesting things going on that it would work pretty well. Also having a whole galaxy means they could basically develop anything they wanted as content. As long as they avoided the planet of hats trope, I'd lurve it.
    Lets be real, pound for pound, the me universe is one of the best ever made. Took the best from star trek and star wars and made the races significant rather than just random green guys who appear in the movies once. (I love star wars btw )

Force -> Biotics
    Light speed -> Mass relays
    Space travel etc.
    lol >.>