Deleted

I'd like to know your opinion about that matter

Hey guys, I got a question here and wonder what you think about it. Our guild has been raiding DS since it came out and we're at 7/8 heroic now, tried Madness not much, maybe 5 tries or something like that. We raid 2 days a week, Wednesday and Sunday. Wednesdays we raid for 2 1/2 hours and Sunday 3 1/2, I know that's not much time but we don't have more because people can't be there earlier.
    To come to my point, we don't have time to raid on the next Wednesday, so we got only the 3 1/2 hours on Sunday for that ID of DS and our Raidleader decided to extend the ID and try Madness only, some people like that, some people don't. I think we should do 7/8 and if there's some time left for Madness try it afterwards, there are so many randomdrops who never even dropped once from the bosses, many people could use these and also tokens are still needed aswell as normal loot from bosses ( for example we killed heroic blackhorn 5 times and heroic spine 2 times ). Also our rogue has 6 Elementium Gem Clusters left for his Legendaries ( yeah, he's pretty late he couldn't raid for some ID's ), and that also would make the Madness fight easier for us.
    Others think, just because we got the first 3 platforms okay-ish running in these 5 or 6 tries, that the rest is as easy as those ( i for myself think the last platform will be more difficult and we need to try this one many times, and to come to it requires the raid to not fail on the ones before this one ).
    What i also fear, is, that we maybe notice at the last platform, that there is a minimum of dps missing or something, what maybe wouldn't have been there, if we did 7/8 heroic before that and had some more equipment for the people.

I'd like to add a poll here, but it seems i can't figure out how to do it, the FAQ is not really helping, since there is no button which says "create a poll with the thread" so it would be really nice, if a mod could add it here.
    I'd like it to be named "What do you think about this?" with the options 1 "I think you should play a new ID to get your people some gear, even if you can't try madness as long as you could if you'd extend the old ID " 2 " I think you should extend the old ID and try to do Madness heroic only"

Deleted
    We extended both Spine and Madness until we got them down. With the nerfs as they are, it's more about practising the fight than it is about your dps since it should be a lot easier to reach the required level.

If you can kill spine you can kill madness. Hands down spine is harder than madness. So extending it isn't about the gear it's about the time. Your guild doesn't need anymore gear for the fight you need the time.

Hm, had something similar to this in Firelands with Ragnaros.

My argument was this - if the group is going well on Madness and making good progress, then extending the lockout is a good idea. If the group is wiping to the same stupid mistakes every single time - or getting worse each attempt - then extending the lockout is pointless and will just leave everyone frustrated.

It really depends on the group, though. Some groups will really benefit from extending the lockout.
    Originally Posted by Tseric
    When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make.

Honestly at this stage madness 25 is easily killable within those 3.5 hours. Gear will not help you kill it at all because dps/healing/tank dmg are simply not factors in the fight right now. It's 100% execution and that's not too hard on madness.

If you don't want to extend then you just want more phat lewt and should re-evaluate why you raid. Gear is a means to an end, and that is clearing the tier. Don't get me wrong, I love gear, but I want it so that I can a) clear content ASAP or b) rank higher. Gear for the sake of gear is pointless.

Depends. Do you want gear or to clear the content?

We wanted the kill, so we extended it for 3 weeks. Turns out however, if we just bought a rogue in on the first night we'd have had it.

Also, do you feel like gear is a limiting factor or not?

I would keep clearing personaly, just not worth wasting the loot if you asks me.

Usually I suggest clearing. It would probably help if you'd mention how long a clear takes though - if it takes up all your raidtime I'd personally just get it over with considering the buff is already rather high and do one or two weeks madness so you'll have closure on that instance. Would first fit the legendary completion in though if it's just one id.

Deleted
    On platforms: The first 3 mean nothing, the fight barely even begins until the 4th platform and phase 2. That might take you some time or it might die very fast, it depends on how fast stuff clicks for you.

On gear: If you got 7/8 you already have plenty of gear to finish Madness. Any attempts on the fight will be vastly more valuable towards a kill than the gear you might get, Legendary daggers included. If you want the gear that's fine but don't try to rationalize it by saying that you're gearing up so you can kill Madness faster. Clearing 7/8 will slow down your Madness kill not speed it up.

Essentially its up to what your raid leader wants. More gear or faster progression, you'll get both eventually its just a question of which one to go for first. Personally I think if you only have 1 day to raid then feel free to finish up Madness, you'll probably down it that day and then have months left over to finish gearing out until MoP comes out.

Deleted
    if you are extending, just have your rogue do a normal 7/8 DS and then join for madness herioc.

10+ Year Old Account
    what SantaMaria said, having your rogues finish his legendaries will be a MASSIVE boost in getting down madness. also, the only guild with people i know that has downed madness it took them about 1 raid evening (3hours) to finish off pl4 and head. this isn't my call, but talk to your GM about atleast having your rogue run 6/8 or 7/8 normal so he can finish the legendaries.

It took most guilds like 1 or 2 raiding nights to kill madness. On the other hand, spine took like a month. As others said, if you can kill spine then you can easily do madness.